Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

11 jcw n14 preemptive replace time chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
11 jcw n14 preemptive replace time chain

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-27-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: color type change
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by malibujoey
Hey NAM JCW GEN2 R56 DUDES - QUESTION:

Bought the JCW with 22K 4 mos ago from CarMax. LOVE IT. Paid for their extended warranty for 100k miles.

Unfortuantely learned about the N14 engine issues after. Timing chain sounds OK now but does feel loose on cold startup. I do oil changes every 5K. But do drive it hard sometimes.

Think I should just force the dealer to replace it or wait? Preemptive strike?

OR did they upgrade the timing chains on the GEN 2 turbos in 2010?

MY PRODUCTION DATE WAS SEP 2010.
They upgraded/updated 2010's so you'll likely be SOL, but you're welcome to call MINI USA and give them your vin and they should tell you whether you are covered or not.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey NAM JCW GEN2 R56 DUDES - QUESTION:

Bought the JCW with 22K 4 mos ago from CarMax. LOVE IT. Paid for their extended warranty for 100k miles.

Unfortuantely learned about the N14 engine issues after. Timing chain sounds OK now but does feel loose on cold startup. I do oil changes every 5K. But do drive it hard sometimes.

Think I should just force the dealer to replace it or wait? Preemptive strike?

OR did they upgrade the timing chains on the GEN 2 turbos in 2010?

MY PRODUCTION DATE WAS SEP 2010.

The N14 and N18 timing chains are the same with some attempts to resolve the timing chain issue by making several revisions to the timing chain tensioners. It is questionable whether these tensioner revisions have resolved anything other than extending the inevitable/eventual need to replace the whole timing chain assembly.
If Mini Cooper were to cover your Mini under there "campaign" it is most likely they would only do the cheap/easy tensioner replacement and then wash their hands of any future coverage under the so called campaign.
Here is a link to Way Motor Works showing the timing chain assembly as the same for both the N14 and N18 engines.
You will note that they state that just replacing the tensioner alone is like putting "bubble gum" on the problem and not a real long term fix.
http://waymotorworks.com/timing-chai...-cooper-s.html

Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Saw the way motor works chain

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-27-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Hey thanks for that!

SO ra2fanatic says the timing chain was upgraded in 2010. My car was built in SEP 2010 so that's good news. Not SOL. I think.

BUT LET ME ASK YOU TREX: are you saying the timing chain is the same in both N14 & N18 - then why is everyone picking on the N14 for breakdown/replacement

2) Are those aftermarket timing chains from WAY better? Or the same/worse than the BMW chains? My mechanic in LA is researching.

Thanks!
Hmm....are you interpreting this wrong? If you're having timing chain issues now and you have a 2010 model, it means MINI USA won't replace your chain because it's assumed you have an updated something. So if you were hoping MINI was going to replace your full timing chain, you had to have had an 07-09 MINI S/JCW.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Hey thanks for that!

SO ra2fanatic says the timing chain was upgraded in 2010. My car was built in SEP 2010 so that's good news. Not SOL. I think.

BUT LET ME ASK YOU TREX: are you saying the timing chain is the same in both N14 & N18 - then why is everyone picking on the N14 for breakdown/replacement

2) Are those aftermarket timing chains from WAY better? Or the same/worse than the BMW chains? My mechanic in LA is researching.

Thanks!

There have been timing chain issues after the 2010 models, just not as many given they've not been around as long.
If you have a Mini Cooper dealer replace the timing chain assembly with OEM parts then you would be covered for two years for parts and labor.
If you were to outsource the replacement to a non dealership then I don't know how the warranty would work as far as replacement costs.
I don't really know if WAY is any better than OEM as I believe either one will eventually start developing issues over time.
This is one of the reason's I would never own a Mini Cooper out of warranty.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:57 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Thanks for that clarification

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-27-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I've been modding before and after warranty went out. In the 36k miles warranty, they did 1 oil change for me and replaced some wiper arms. Warranty didn't mean cr@p to me...

I'm at around 84k miles now, haven't had much to gripe out.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I've been modding before and after warranty went out. In the 36k miles warranty, they did 1 oil change for me and replaced some wiper arms. Warranty didn't mean cr@p to me...

I'm at around 84k miles now, haven't had much to gripe out.

I think you're confusing the factory 50k mile warranty with the 36k mile maintenance program.
However I understand your position and believe many other Mini owners can make the same claim.
But there are most definitely many others (as demonstrated by postings on this forum) that were not as fortunate and were saved much expense by being under warranty.
It is what it is, Mini's are great fun to drive but don't have the best reliability ratings and can be very costly should something fail.
It's a crap shoot, warranty/extended warranty or not, your choice.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
I think you're confusing the factory 50k mile warranty with the 36k mile maintenance program.
However I understand your position and believe many other Mini owners can make the same claim.
But there are most definitely many others (as demonstrated by postings on this forum) that were not as fortunate and were saved much expense by being under warranty.
It is what it is, Mini's are great fun to drive but don't have the best reliability ratings and can be very costly should something fail.
It's a crap shoot, warranty/extended warranty or not, your choice.
Right and right. Dime a dozen!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Bought carmax used jcw

Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM
TREX
4th Gear
My JCW 50K warranty ran out the day I bought the car so CarMax paid for some expensive service engine work.

But I did get the CarMax 100K warranty which my dealer/tech has experiencing using. Glad I have it.

This N14 seems to be a problematic engine because of poor engineering.

Love the car's performance. Put on like 11,000 miles in under 4 months driving it from Dallas to Malibu and back again through west Texas. Car performed awesome even on ice in freezing temps and even with a damaged radiator and condenser from the collision.

But I can tell that timing chain will be a problem. Already sounds noticeable on startup. Plus I popped the clutch a few times which doesn't help along with hi RPM driving.

I'll see if I can unload this car and trade up to a newer used JCW once it's put back together. Glad I took the MOD STRIPES off. hahaha hate those.

Best of both words would be if you could find a nice newer used JCW with Mini Cooper's CPO coverage which would give you a six year 100k extended warranty. It's called the Mini Next CPO coverage.
Good luck.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My JCW 50K warranty ran out the day I bought the car so CarMax paid for some expensive service engine work.

But I can tell that timing chain will be a problem. Already sounds noticeable on startup. Glad I took the MOD STRIPES off. hahaha hate those.
You could have a rattle because you are low on oil. One of the best things oyou can do for this car is learn how to read the dipstick correctly. (It is an art. Just search the threads on the dipstick. All kinds of design issues with it) Second, Check the oil every fill up. MINI documents that it is acceptable to "consume" oil at a rate of something like 1/2 quart per 1000 miles. So if you never check it between oil changes you can really damage the motor because of low oil.

While the N14 does have issues it is a motor that can be cared for and work just fine. Not every N14 has a timing chain failure. That said, when out of warranty, this can get pricey.

If you are really concerned, Sewell has a slack measurement tool that they will use on your car to measure chain slack. Just screw out the tensioner and screw in the tool. That is how the dealer can have a precise communication with MINI on repair costs because they know the amount of slack in the chain based on the tool. If you are still within acceptable range, chances are MINI will not be willing to cover this.

The following users liked this post:
tnitties1 (10-08-2019)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Thanks!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 AM
oeguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read so many posts similar to this one and I would like to add my .02. I have an 09 factory JCW I am new to Mini and I will say I love the car. I had a few VW's prior to the mini so I have learned a few things about the characteristics and maintenance of turbo direct injection motors.

First off as some members have already mentioned it is a good idea to check your oil levels roughly every 1k to make sure it's topped up. The second thing is that it is a VERY smart move to change your oil every 4-6k.

I know this sounds like it might be to often but its the cheapest and safest "Preemptive" measure you can take IMO. Now with respect to your choice in oil make sure you use any of the reputable brands (I use motul 5w-40 8100 xcess) and your mini should be just fine.

Lastly I would like to add that I haven't read many threads on the types of fuel people are using in their cars but this also makes a difference in how clean the head is on our cars. In Canada we don't have the octane choices some of you have in US but the obvious recommendation is nothing under 91 octance. I personally only fill up with Shell and find even though my car is getting older and now has 83k it still runs like a little monster.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:52 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
my guy

IN LA says to run Chevron. The best of the top tier gas. In California they dumb down the octane to 91. In Texas it's 93. He says Chevron has the best cleaning additives.

And you're right about the frequent oil changes from what I've learned. But also timing out the turbo is super important. Here's a video on it. I'm not buying a timer for the turbo because I don't want to fk with the electrical so I'm just in the habit of waiting 1-2 minutes before shutting down.

https://youtu.be/gleqLF9_zjk

Originally Posted by oeguy
I have read so many posts similar to this one and I would like to add my .02. I have an 09 factory JCW I am new to Mini and I will say I love the car. I had a few VW's prior to the mini so I have learned a few things about the characteristics and maintenance of turbo direct injection motors.

First off as some members have already mentioned it is a good idea to check your oil levels roughly every 1k to make sure it's topped up. The second thing is that it is a VERY smart move to change your oil every 4-6k.

I know this sounds like it might be to often but its the cheapest and safest "Preemptive" measure you can take IMO. Now with respect to your choice in oil make sure you use any of the reputable brands (I use motul 5w-40 8100 xcess) and your mini should be just fine.

Lastly I would like to add that I haven't read many threads on the types of fuel people are using in their cars but this also makes a difference in how clean the head is on our cars. In Canada we don't have the octane choices some of you have in US but the obvious recommendation is nothing under 91 octance. I personally only fill up with Shell and find even though my car is getting older and now has 83k it still runs like a little monster.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 AM
oeguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you're in Texas so I know your climate is fairly hot for the most part so if you're running a factory spec turbo and you don't have any modifications then a turbo timer is not necessary. What you should look into and would be more beneficial would be upgrading the intercooler. This will keep the turbo cooler all the time and it's all bolt on

Old 05-01-2015, 06:35 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear