Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am reading this thread with my face like this

How can this even happen? Did they think no one would notice the missing paddle shifters? My last car was my first auto in a long time and the paddle shifters, though not the same as rowing through the gears, were a compromise I made due to the heavy bumper to bumper stuff I was doing every day at the time. Without that option I would have suffered through shifting from first to second and back to first and second a million times every day during my commute...

The OP has every right to expect what he paid for and was clearly part of the bargain IMO, and should pursue whatever remedy necessary to get what he was promised - it's only fair to expect both sides to honor the purchase agreement. Hopefully they do the right thing and deliver what you paid for.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
P.S. Nice interior shot - love the red stitching on the seats and steering wheel. I hope you get this sorted out - great car.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM
durazo
Neutral
Hi JackMan017,

I just took delivery of my 2013 JCW and just noticed the exact same thing. I'm a paraplegic and don't have use of my legs so I require hand controls to drive, needless to say, having paddle shifters is one of the major reasons why I bought the car. I contacted the person who sold the car to me and basically he said that the JCW doesn't come with paddle shifter which is complete BS because it clearly states it on the site. When I mentioned this to him he said that the new ones haven't come out with the paddle shifters yet and that my only option would be to order another car!!! And on top of that he said I should NOT do that because it is going to make them look bad WTH!!

Anyways he is going to look into it tomorrow, but if this is not resolved I am really going to make a HUGE deal out of it. Maybe we should join forces and try to get them to fix what obviously is a mistake on their part.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by durazo
Hi JackMan017,

I just took delivery of my 2013 JCW and just noticed the exact same thing. I'm a paraplegic and don't have use of my legs so I require hand controls to drive, needless to say, having paddle shifters is one of the major reasons why I bought the car. I contacted the person who sold the car to me and basically he said that the JCW doesn't come with paddle shifter which is complete BS because it clearly states it on the site. When I mentioned this to him he said that the new ones haven't come out with the paddle shifters yet and that my only option would be to order another car!!! And on top of that he said I should NOT do that because it is going to make them look bad WTH!!

Anyways he is going to look into it tomorrow, but if this is not resolved I am really going to make a HUGE deal out of it. Maybe we should join forces and try to get them to fix what obviously is a mistake on their part.

Hello Durazo,

I share your frustration. Everything the dealer is telling you is BS. When you go to Mini USA's website and build the vehicle, inside the automatic transmission option it specifically states in writing our JCW vehicles are equipped with "f1 style paddle shifters". The first thing I did was print out that page, just in the even Mini pulled that down from their website and/or tried to pull anything funny.

I am still working through this issue. I am requesting Mini install the paddle shifters on my vehicle AND fairly compensate me for the loss of enjoyment. MiniUSA has offered me $1,000. My GM has told me of another offer. He told me Mini would pay my first month's car payment in full and portions of each consecutive payment until the paddles are placed on my car. So basically as you can tell I'm getting conflicting info between MiniUSA and my GM. Honestly, it feels like Mini has no clue as to what to do. I'm told the fitting of my paddles would take 2-6 months. That's a big issue for me. Two months isn't bad. If it takes 6 months, naturally I would request a lot more than $1,000 of compensation. I drive my vehicle 1,000 -1,200 miles p/month. I have over a 1,000 miles on it now and I have not even owned the car for a full 30 days. This vehicle is my DD and as you can tell I drive alot (I have to for work intended purposes). It sux not having the paddles. My old Mini had no paddles. I took my old Mini in for service three months ago and was given an S model as a loaner with the paddles. Man was it ever fun with the paddles!! Just to be able to hold the Rpm's in any gear, and go around a turn with the RPM's up a little higher than in normal D (or DS) makes a huge difference as far as enjoying the car (atleast for me it does)

This sounds like it's going to be a big issue. We have come forward so far. I anticipate more people to come forward as they receive their JCW's. Post up here if you do. I'm astonished at how Mini could make such a huge mistake. I do not want a new car. I want to mod my car. I want to enjoy the car. This is why I've told them I will accept a monetary compensation as well as fitment of the paddles on my vehicle, whether it takes 2 months or 6 months. Why in the hell would it take 6 months to put paddles on my JCW is beyond me. And whatever the reason someone tells me it is, it's likely going to be 100% BS.

I'm sorry you have to go through this situation. Hopefully we can all stick together and in the end be satisfied with the outcome.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
I'm sure this is not the best way of doing it, but here is the info straight from Mini USA's website.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
durazo
Neutral
I'm glad you've got things going as to compensation and an estimated time frame, although 6 months sounds crazy! I'm not sure what my dealer will say tomorrow but as you said I'm pretty sure it is going to be 100% BS. In the mean time I already wrote to Mini USA and I'm waiting for a response. If you don't mind me asking, what department at Mini USA have you been dealing with?

By the way, I totally agree with paddle shifters being a lot more fun to drive with! To tell you the truth it was a major factor in my decision to buy the new JCW. If I don't get an immediate solution to this I will definitely be pushing for the same type of compensation you are pushing for. In my opinion it is the least they can do!!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
durazo
Neutral
I texted exactly what the website said to my salesperson, that's when he told me my only option was to order another car and that I shouldn't do it because it would make them look bad! I still can't believe that

Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by durazo
I'm glad you've got things going as to compensation and an estimated time frame, although 6 months sounds crazy! I'm not sure what my dealer will say tomorrow but as you said I'm pretty sure it is going to be 100% BS. In the mean time I already wrote to Mini USA and I'm waiting for a response. If you don't mind me asking, what department at Mini USA have you been dealing with?

By the way, I totally agree with paddle shifters being a lot more fun to drive with! To tell you the truth it was a major factor in my decision to buy the new JCW. If I don't get an immediate solution to this I will definitely be pushing for the same type of compensation you are pushing for. In my opinion it is the least they can do!!

Sending you a PM now with who I am dealing with at Mini USA.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
i dont get why they cant take paddles off a cooper s and retrofit them to your steering wheel

Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by absoluteczech
i dont get why they cant take paddles off a cooper s and retrofit them to your steering wheel
The paddles do not simply bolt on to a standard steering wheel. The steering wheel for paddles is different and has cutouts for mounting.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM
spoovy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Does anybody have an update on resolution/remedies for this issue from MINI? As of yesterday i'm the owner of a '13 JCW Hardtop (upgrade from an 05 MCS).

Didn't notice the missing paddles until this morning...Duh! Looking forward to being a part of this community!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I am not trying to make anyone mad, but I am just curious to know how you drove off the dealership lot without checking for them?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
spoovy
1st Gear
Honestly, I didn't know to check that they *were* there. I only came into this forum today via a google search on the topic of missing paddles. After 6 hours in the dealership (they didn't let me drive the car I was buying until after - I test drove in a stick), it was dark, I was tired...

I assumed they would be there, that is how the car was advertised/marketed, etc...

Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not an option for the '13 JCW and the site use to reflect it before they made the recent updates. I spec'd out a '13 JCW and MCS, it specifically stated no paddle shifters in the JCW.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
spoovy
1st Gear
Interesting. It still seems to be listed in the configurator...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Dark
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I placed my 2013 order the configuration was different, there were no Premium 1 and 2 packages and selecting the automatic while configuring a JCW explicitly stated no paddle shifters.
Sounds like someone goofed with the updated configurator this the incorrect information. Proving that mistake may help get the shifters though.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
spoovy
1st Gear
It's not the end of the world, regardless, it's a fantastic car and handles in true go-kart style. I got used to the paddles in the MCS, so its' sad to not have them, if there is a way to get them, i'm all ears :-)

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd be curious as to what your window stickers state vs your order form. I'd bet at least one if not both should give you he ammo to get them to resolve the issue. But I'm sure mini will take a while to sort it out. If you just purchased the car yesterday and found out about missing items today you may have recourse within your state's consumer laws to return the vehicle. There is some short timeframe to do so usually.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
OctaneGuy, a regular on these forums, added paddle shifters to his car, here is his post describing the procedure. Unfortunately, the photos are gone from the post.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-shifters.html

You might p.m. him for the photos.

Here is another post about adding paddle shifters.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...automatic.html

Dave

Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spoovy
Hi,

Does anybody have an update on resolution/remedies for this issue from MINI? As of yesterday i'm the owner of a '13 JCW Hardtop (upgrade from an 05 MCS).

Didn't notice the missing paddles until this morning...Duh! Looking forward to being a part of this community!
Paddles will be going on (new steering wheel is needed). 2-6 month delay. Get ahold of your dealership and have them contact their Mini Rep asap. And it would not be a bad idea to contact MiniUSA and let them know as well.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JackMan017
Paddles will be going on (new steering wheel is needed). 2-6 month delay. Get ahold of your dealership and have them contact their Mini Rep asap. And it would not be a bad idea to contact MiniUSA and let them know as well.
Did they ever compensate you?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Hope this helps. I purchased my S Coupe with auto in Oct, 2011. It was one of the first ones shipped here in Arizona. Well it had no paddles, but the dealer assured me I would get them. It took 6 months. I just pushed the sport button and shifted with the stick. I suspect the real problem with the JCW is the steering wheel. They put a new wheel on mine. They probably do not have a wheel with the red stitching, that has the cutouts for the paddles. That's the hold up.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by absoluteczech
Did they ever compensate you?
Not yet. Working on it.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not like MINI is trying to screw anyone. It was an oversite in the configurator as the thicker JCW wheels is not set up for paddles, but another member on here has retrofitted them in the past. The option if to have the make a new wheel with the cutouts and bolt holes (could take 6 months to a year for the next model possibly), custom retrofit (not likely by the dealer), or swap the wheel for the regular wheel, but with red stitching to get the paddles. It just stinks you were one of the firsts to get a factory JCW auto and they were not ready 100%. It could have been one of those silent mid-year changes that when they do begin to manufacture the thicker JCW wheel with paddles it would just change on a certain date, those before it don't get it and those after do.

Quick Reply: '13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?