Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

OS Giken clutch vs stock JCW clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have mines for about 2000 miles now. And I notice the release point is Really high. It does not slip though. GT series.

It drives really different than my r53 with complete Clutch/LSD. STR series

Old 10-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Does anybody know if there is a difference in weight between the STR and GT clutches? I know the STR is a lot lighter than stock, which is what I want, but I don't want to deal with a "on/off" clutch that's a b1tch to drive whenever I'm not at the track.

Sorry for a bit of Frankenstein. Didn't see an answer to this one so thought I'd toss one in for any others looking for info.

From what I've seen so far stock is around 40 lbs, the GT is around 30 lbs, and the STR is roughly 24-26 lbs.

Anyone have any further issues with these slipping or having other issues sooner than they should? Any who put it on when this thread was active have issues by now?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a couple years since I sold my JCW. It was rebuilt and modified to around 300hp. Had no problems at all with slipping or reliability. I couple drop it 5000 from a stop in 2nd gear and just smoke up the tires. What I didn't like about the clutch is it engaged at an odd point making it very easy to stall the engine. You more or less HAVE to be on the throttle an accelerating or it would stall. I know this sounds like normal clutch operation. However for me the OS clutch was very difficult to drive in traffic. One of the reasons I got rid of the car. As far as the weight of the pedal I didn't have a problem with it.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrrjm
It's been a couple years since I sold my JCW. It was rebuilt and modified to around 300hp. Had no problems at all with slipping or reliability. I couple drop it 5000 from a stop in 2nd gear and just smoke up the tires. What I didn't like about the clutch is it engaged at an odd point making it very easy to stall the engine. You more or less HAVE to be on the throttle an accelerating or it would stall. I know this sounds like normal clutch operation. However for me the OS clutch was very difficult to drive in traffic. One of the reasons I got rid of the car. As far as the weight of the pedal I didn't have a problem with it.

Did you get the STR or GT from Way? Thanks for the update. It's sounding like the OS Giken will probably be my 3rd choice behind either Clutch Masters or JM Turbo, pending reading more reviews on those two.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
scoopieb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
Sorry for a bit of Frankenstein. Didn't see an answer to this one so thought I'd toss one in for any others looking for info.

From what I've seen so far stock is around 40 lbs, the GT is around 30 lbs, and the STR is roughly 24-26 lbs.

Anyone have any further issues with these slipping or having other issues sooner than they should? Any who put it on when this thread was active have issues by now?

I installed the GT about 9K ago. My original clutch started to go with about 65K. Once I got the tranny off I discovered the tranny seal was leaking and got oil on the clutch. So I replaced the seal and put the GT in. Everything is still working great. I would definitely recommend it.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:10 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Scoop. How is your GT in traffic ?
Does it have the same on/off as some say the STR has ?
Any more updates from anyone with the OS ?
I have to pull the trigger on a clutch so any input is greatly appreciated

Thx

Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 AM
ctrlaltdl
Neutral
I have about 50K miles on a GT, with no problems, other than a lot of chatter and a noisy throwout bearing. It's been a noisy clutch since the install and hasn't affected the performance or usability.

The pedal weight is easy and feels pretty natural. It is a bit of a pain in traffic and finding the sweet spot between stalling it or spinning tire is tough to find when starting in first, but you get used to it.

This mini is my wife's and it has a dealer installed JCW package, which included tuning. It's never been tracked just abused by my wife every day and the clutch has held up well, which is more than I can say to the limited (30k) life of the OEM clutch.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:58 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the update ctrlaltdl , always nice to get feedback on parts with some milage on them.!!