Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Aftermarket LSD for the Factory JCW????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket LSD for the Factory JCW????

Now that the 09 Factory JCW is available, its time to think about doing some serious mods, anyway, I am contemplating purchasing one but have a few questions, not sure if anyone will know the answers just yet, maybe one of the aftermarket manufactures can chime in here............

Does anyone know what will happen if an aftermarket LSD is installed on a factory JCW with the Electronic LSD?

Will it freak the E-LSD out I wonder?

Is there any way to disable the E-LSD?

Will any aftermarket R56 LSD fit a JCW?

Will any aftermarket R56 clutch/flywheel fit a factory JCW?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Bump

Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Try contacting Drexler of Quaife

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Yeah, I actually asked Quaife and wasn't satisfied with their short, sort of uneducated reply. I asked them if they made an LSD for an 07 R56 Mini Cooper S. He asked if my 07 Mini Cooper S was a turbo or supercharged Mini. When I told them it was a turbo, they said they don't make one for the turbo and didn't answer when they would be making one. No dis-respect to them, but, since they didn't know an 07 R56 Mini Cooper S is a turbo, I am thinking they have yet to even look at one to see if the components are the same.

I have a call in to Way Motorworks, Way is confirming the answers to my questions. Thanks Waylen for helping out here!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've obviously got a lot more track experience than me....but a couple of questions? If you're keeping the car close to stock, then why are you assuming the EDSL will be inadequate? Most reviews say it works pretty well. Secondly, if you're going to mod the heck out of the car anyway, why not start with an S where the EDSL won't be a factor anyway?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
You've obviously got a lot more track experience than me....but a couple of questions? If you're keeping the car close to stock, then why are you assuming the EDSL will be inadequate? Most reviews say it works pretty well. Secondly, if you're going to mod the heck out of the car anyway, why not start with an S where the EDSL won't be a factor anyway?
If I go with the JCW, I would be allowed to do a moderate amount of modifications for SCCA Solo use in SP class. The JCW has a larger turbo, that would be a big benefit for sure, so, the JCW is definitely more desirable. With 250hp, an aftermarker LSD will definitely be a benefit, every tenth of a second counts.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
Yeah, I actually asked Quaife and wasn't satisfied with their short, sort of uneducated reply. I asked them if they made an LSD for an 07 R56 Mini Cooper S. He asked if my 07 Mini Cooper S was a turbo or supercharged Mini.

Maybe they missed (or did not know what it meant) the R56 part, and therefore didn't know if you had a '07 coupe or convertible? Without knowing that, their question was a valid one.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sarafil
Maybe they missed (or did not know what it meant) the R56 part, and therefore didn't know if you had a '07 coupe or convertible? Without knowing that, their question was a valid one.

If they don't know that an R56 is turbo but they know that 07 has a convertible and a hardtop with different engines that would suprise me. Anyway, I explained to them I was using it for potential competition use, not many guys prep convertibles(which are supercharged). Anyway, I just got the feeling they didn't really know for sure from the email due to the above stated, not a big deal, and, I could be wrong. Either way, I'm sure they will eventually make a diff if they don't already have one without realizing it. I will update when I find out for sure. I called one dealer, Baron, and the guy wouldn't even look it up to see(said that there wasn't a part number for an LSD), he stated that the LSD was not a servicable part and that the entire tranny would need to be replaced to add a factory LSD so the part number wasn't available. Oh well.

I will update shortly

Last edited by OasisT; 12-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
EDIT: Nevermind, I like turtles.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I got ahold of Classic Mini(NAM Sponsor, they are always helpful when ordering parts by the way), they said that the R53 and R56 have different part numbers for the differential. Classic said that they were not sure if the R53 LSD would work in an R56. I suppose its possible since sometimes small changes are made on parts, such as the slight changes in superchargers(teflon coating) from the MCS and JCW on the R53 and the crank pulleys from 04 and 05(some lighter).

Anyway, I am hoping to have a 100% confirmation within the next couple days on whether the R53 LSD will fit an R56. :-)

Last edited by OasisT; 12-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the MiniMadness website they have the quaife list for both r53 and r56

Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Well I've driven both back-to-back and my conclusion was very simpe.. the mechanical LSD is quicker, sharper en provides more grip. E-Diff is 'ok' for normal use but on a track it really started to annoye me

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Creeve
On the MiniMadness website they have the quaife list for both r53 and r56
Thats weird since Quaife said their R53 LSD won't work in an R56. I guess there is only one way to really find out.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
Ahh, OK, thats the OS Giken one. Very cool. I wonder if anyone has tried the OS Giken one yet. I am considering going with the OS Giken, they make very good stuff!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by William Blake
Well I've driven both back-to-back and my conclusion was very simpe.. the mechanical LSD is quicker, sharper en provides more grip. E-Diff is 'ok' for normal use but on a track it really started to annoye me
Can you turn off the E-LSD and all traction control? If not, I wonder what it will do once the JCW has a real LSD. It might really freak out I'd guess if there isn't any way to disable or possibly unplug it.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Can you turn off the E-LSD and all traction control? If not, I wonder what it will do once the JCW has a real LSD. It might really freak out I'd guess if there isn't any way to disable or possibly unplug it.
Good question.. the thing is when you deactivate DSC you (at the same time) active the stupid e-diff.

135i has the same system and there are plenty of guys who fit real LSD without any problem..

Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Daren S
Neutral
I got ahold of Classic Mini(NAM Sponsor, they are always helpful when ordering parts by the way), they said that the R53 and R56 have different part numbers for the differential.
Any idea what the part number for the R56 is or how much it is? I've driven one with a standard LSD and found it amazing compared to a non LSD R56, can really feel the LSD pulling

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Daren S
Any idea what the part number for the R56 is or how much it is? I've driven one with a standard LSD and found it amazing compared to a non LSD R56, can really feel the LSD pulling
Unfortunately I didn't ask for pricing. I would assume it would be $600ish.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
HOLY OLD THREAD BATMAN!!

Ok now that I have that out of the way, I need some info on the OS Giken. I think Oasis is the national autox champ, and is sponsored by OS so I'd like to be sold an LSD. Give me the pitch!

In the past I did a lot of autox, mainly for fun (I was never competitive just for fun) and my '07 had the factory LSD.

The brake based LSD on my R58 leaves much to be desired. Aka, I still waste a lot of time spinning the inside tire.

So some questions:
  • Will installing an OS Giken LSD void my warranty?
  • How many hours to have the LSD installed?
  • About how much is a fair price to have the LSD installed?
  • Does the engine need to be pulled for LSD installation?

Is this a must have mod? I really miss the way my old R56 pulled through corners. I look forward to responses. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Just had a Qauife installed in my 2012 S...
20 hrs at $95/hr for the install...Figure $2k for the install. The Quaife was about $1k.

Yes engine comes out to get the tranny out. With a new car, you won't need a clutch, but if you want to go to something lighter, more aggressive, etc. this is the time to do it, BUT it may not be legal for stock class autoX. Also, as the subframe comes out (the front is basically all apart to do the LSD), this is the time to put in the full JCW suspension (ie: front sway bar, shocks, springs, etc). Depending on whether you are looking to run stock class or not, you might also want to put in the Powerflex lower front control arm bushings. From here the rear suspension is almost a no brainer. For the stock class autoX, the JCW springs are must (you are required to run the full JCW suspension option to be considered stock, but you can change shocks and one - front or rear - sway bar) and while it is apart put in shocks and rear sway bar...

Sorry, got carried away with spending your money

I went with the Quaife because I want to stay "reasonably" stock as the car is my DD and I wanted an "install and forget it" LSD; the Quaife is similar to the MINI LSD that used to be an option. I also went with the 27mm front bar (vs the JCW 24mm) and the H-Sport 25.5 mm hollow rear bar to give me flatter cornering but not the snap oversteer that you can get with just the larger rear bar. The front to rear bar stiffness ratio is about the same as the JCW suspension but with more overall roll stiffness.

Again, got carried away with info, but hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:54 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
I already had the JCW suspension installed at my mini dealer. For mini branded accessories they have a discounted rate which is nice.

Ugh I wish they didn't have to pull the engine for the LSD install. That means I really need to find a shop I trust for the install.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I had a shop do mine. I understand they had to drop the subframe, at least, and that would include the engine. There are other posts of people DIY'ing it. Maybe those will provide more info about how to do it. I really wasn't looking for details from my shop as they are pretty good and specialize in BMWs and like cars. Handed them the keys and walked away...

I would recommend the Quaife. Being familiar with the MINI LSD from your prior car, you know how nice it is for a DD. The Quaife should feel pretty much the same as it is the same style. There is a Quaife vs Giken thread on NAM that you should look up before deciding. The one thing that was in my mind when I bought the Quaife was that it was advertised as being compatible with the DTC (eLSD) in these cars. Don't know if the Giken is.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Like Eddie said the Quaife LSD is great for a daily driver while still being a huge improvement for AutoX. Plus it's half the price the Giken Diff.
We did some comparison on the track and dropped 3 seconds a lap with just changing the diff.

As for install the engine doesn't come out. We do them all the time and just drop the trans.
The Diff won't void your warranty except on the trans. But they won't even know you have it unless you tell them.

If you want to bring it to Atlanta we are happy to do it for you.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I had a shop do mine. I understand they had to drop the subframe, at least, and that would include the engine. There are other posts of people DIY'ing it. Maybe those will provide more info about how to do it. I really wasn't looking for details from my shop as they are pretty good and specialize in BMWs and like cars. Handed them the keys and walked away... I would recommend the Quaife. Being familiar with the MINI LSD from your prior car, you know how nice it is for a DD. The Quaife should feel pretty much the same as it is the same style. There is a Quaife vs Giken thread on NAM that you should look up before deciding. The one thing that was in my mind when I bought the Quaife was that it was advertised as being compatible with the DTC (eLSD) in these cars. Don't know if the Giken is. Hope this helps...
I would love to see that thread. And this does all help. Definitely.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LSD for the Factory JCW????