Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

So I went to test drive a JCW yesterday...

Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 PM
mikehaze
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I went to test drive a JCW yesterday...

...and the dealer told me he thought the JCW isn't worth it?! What am I missing here? I mean, I thought it was great fun, way more than my '06 S that I sold.

You guys who have made the JCW leap; was the extra $7000ish worth it over the S?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Dan9874123
2nd Gear
lol props for him for being honest, but I think his boss would be pissed if he knew he said that.

I've test driven one too, and I do think it's worth it

Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
MInI___Gz
5th Gear
it worth it if you are financial secure ..to all there own but a mini is always fun!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
mikehaze
1st Gear
I guess I just don't see how it's not justifiable in my situation. If I were to get an S, I'd load it up with everything imaginable to arrive at ~$30k. If I were to get a JCW, I wouldn't care as much about the interior options and would probably settle around ~$30k. I informed my dealer of this and he still thought it wasn't worth it to get the JCW over the S. I'm just wondering if there's some sort of incentive for dealers to sell the S models over the JCW.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Here in Canada, by the time you factor in what it would cost after market to get bigger rims, upgraded brakes (Brembos), and an ECU reflash, etc, it worked out to only be a couple thousand difference. In the end, someone else made the hard decision for me so I get to just enjoy my JCW when it gets here.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mikehaze
I guess I just don't see how it's not justifiable in my situation. If I were to get an S, I'd load it up with everything imaginable to arrive at ~$30k. If I were to get a JCW, I wouldn't care as much about the interior options and would probably settle around ~$30k. I informed my dealer of this and he still thought it wasn't worth it to get the JCW over the S. I'm just wondering if there's some sort of incentive for dealers to sell the S models over the JCW.
As far as people have discussed in these parts, the JCWs aren't moving as quickly as expected, so I doubt they're trying to push Ss over the JCWs as S's are easier to sell and you don't want a car sitting on the lot for too long. That being said, as you mentioned in your example, many would choose a well-optioned S over a JCW and I'm assuming there's more profit in all the option packages that people load onto the Ss versus getting stock JCWs. Of the four JCWs at my local dealership, the highest listed price is $34k.

I also don't mean to say anything negative towards our wonderful Motoring Advisors but some aren't as enthusiastic about MINIs as we may be (although they still may be "car guys & gals".) Some are mostly about the numbers and from this perspective $7000 is a lot for 36hp and 15lbs of torque. With the BMW 1-series, the same $7000 value takes you from the 128 to the 135 nets you 70hp and 100lbs of torque more, in additional to other accessories! The red shifter lettering, the burble and the anthracite headliner don't add up to the best value and I would assume your Motoring Advisor would suggest for the money you could get a 1-series for not that much more (Even a 135 starts at just under $36k and is over a second faster to 60, has rear-wheel drive-handling, much better seats, sunroof standard, Xenons standard, sport suspension standard, aero kit standard, cruise, etc and a propeller roundel on the hood. If you configured a JCW to match with the Premium Package, sport suspension, Xenons, heated mirrors, and aero kit it is $33k and change.)

Looking at those numbers, the left-brained individual would automatically dispel the JCW, without understanding it's greater virtues appreciated by the right-brained (the same individual who thinks a 1-series is cookie-cutter, just-pick-a-color-damn-it characterless, dull and driven by pompous elitist lawyers.) In response to the Motoring Advisor's comment I can't deny I've fallen into the same mindset in my own career (I'm currently in IT and after a few years have become far less infatuated in IT and technology due to the hazards of the job.) His comment was intended from one "car guy" to another "car guy" when he might not have noticed you're more of a "mini guy" than just a "car guy".

Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have posted this a few times in other threads, I have had my 09 JCW back to the dealer quite a few times since I took delivery in late November of 08 for minor things. I have had the opportunity to drive EVERY single current MINI except for a JCW stage 1 dealer kit for at least a day or 2 on the highway and around town. These loaners have been Coopers and Clubmans with S and non S, autos and manuals.

Hands down the JCW wins. If I had gone the S route with JCW stage 1, I would have been quite disappointed.

I have a loaded JCW with every option but NAV, park distance and HD radio. I recently added the JCW sport suspension. The car rocks and I love it. If I had to do over, I would do it all again but I would add the factory NAV.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM
DDoggJCW
3rd Gear
I had a hard time deciding too. It was either the top-of-the-line MINI (JCW) or the bottom-of-the-line BMW (128i)

Although i've had 5 bimmers in the past, i decided on the JCW because I wanted a car that handles phenomenally in the twisties, get awesome MPG's, and I've never had a FWD car before. I hope I made the right choice.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Dan9874123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lovethecorners
I also don't mean to say anything negative towards our wonderful Motoring Advisors but some aren't as enthusiastic about MINIs as we may be (although they still may be "car guys & gals".) Some are mostly about the numbers and from this perspective $7000 is a lot for 36hp and 15lbs of torque. With the BMW 1-series, the same $7000 value takes you from the 128 to the 135 nets you 70hp and 100lbs of torque more, in additional to other accessories! The red shifter lettering, the burble and the anthracite headliner don't add up to the best value and I would assume your Motoring Advisor would suggest for the money you could get a 1-series for not that much more (Even a 135 starts at just under $36k and is over a second faster to 60, has rear-wheel drive-handling, much better seats, sunroof standard, Xenons standard, sport suspension standard, aero kit standard, cruise, etc and a propeller roundel on the hood. If you configured a JCW to match with the Premium Package, sport suspension, Xenons, heated mirrors, and aero kit it is $33k and change.)
You forget that the car also has upgraded brakes (that work very well) and upgraded transmission and engine to handle it. People don't usually get that that counts for a lot, because when you add more power, you really ought to add a more durable transmission so that it doesn't blow on you.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 AM
JAS76
3rd Gear
If I could do it over again, I would have gone with a factory JCW. Although my S is making me very happy, I can see me trading her in a few years from now for a JCW. We will see...

J

Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I have a JCW arriving in the next few days, but have never had the opportunity to test drive an '09JCW. However, test driving an R56 S was a real disappointment compared with my tuned and pullied R53 JCW. Ordering a MINI other than a JCW was not an option.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 AM
MiniIvan
2nd Gear
For me I know I'd regret getting an S as long as the JCW was available. If there's no JCW, I'm sure I'd be happy with the S. I've always bought the "M" BMW's and the "S" Audi's. Also, IIRC the price difference is not 7k when you look at standard upgrades the JCW has over the S. I'd regret not spending the extra money for the JCW, rather than regret spending too much on the JCW and wish I'd gotten the S.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
In addition, the price difference at purchase will certainly shrink at resale. Both will hold there value well, but the factory JCW will be more sought after on the used market and will be hard to find used in comparison.

Bottomline, which would you rather own and operate? It's a no brainer. It's low cost high fun transportation. I wanted a fun daily driver which is primarily for commuting and shopping. I can't think of anything else as fun for those needs. I owned a 135i last year. I thought it might serve as a jack of all trades car. It was really not that fun to drive. Lots of low end torque, but a very flat powerband w/huge torque falloff at and near redline, and vague cornering with no steering feel. Plus it's not the best looking Bimmer on the planet. I started missing my '05 MCS and when I decided to get another, I just had to go JCW. The brakes are what sold me. That was the achilles heal of my MCS.

I'm also impressed that the JCW comes with measurably more power at not much of a loss in fuel economy.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevie B
In addition, the price difference at purchase will certainly shrink at resale. Both will hold there value well, but the factory JCW will be more sought after on the used market and will be hard to find used in comparison.
But... if the difference shrinks at resale, that's not good for the seller. It means that you would do better to buy a factory JCW used. As for being more sought after on the used market, it's all a wash. There will be few on the used market but also few buyers seeking them, just like on the new market.

The bottom line is to get a JCW because you want it; don't try to justify it from a financial perspective.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am 100% happy with my choice of getting a JCW. I drove the MCS first then the JCW and that is how I made my decision. Better motor, bigger turbo, bigger brakes, nice wheels....it would cost you almost that much to add those goodies on..well worth every penny I spend. If your on a tight budget I agree the MCS is a good way to go...you get a lot for your money and a strong performer.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
But... if the difference shrinks at resale, that's not good for the seller. It means that you would do better to buy a factory JCW used.
It's always cheaper to buy used. The trade off is you're not the first guy that gets to have it.

Originally Posted by rkw
As for being more sought after on the used market, it's all a wash. There will be few on the used market but also few buyers seeking them, just like on the new market.
I don't think so. On the used market the lower cost will appeal to a larger market. There are always dreamers today that will jump on the dream later when they can afford it, or justify it, etc.

Last edited by Stevie B; 02-16-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: I hate to see spelling errors
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
Worth it. Drive both and make your decision.

If you are a performance enthusiast and will to pay the extra up front and under factory war. it makes sense.

add these pieces and see if you could build it yourself:
Base MCS:$22,600
Base JCW:$29,200
- headliner
- premium wheels
- bigger turbo
- exhaust
- piano black interior trim
- upgraded pistons
- upgraded clutch
- upgraded diff
- upgraded transmission
- Brembo front brake upgrade
- upgraded rear brake set
- upgraded speedo
- special shift ****
- badges

* I know some are not completely needed, but all give it character and I am sure some of you have bought more frivolous things for our toys. If you add all these up with install the price is just fine in my opinion. just my 2 cents.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bullitt44
Worth it. Drive both and make your decision.

If you are a performance enthusiast and will to pay the extra up front and under factory war. it makes sense.

add these pieces and see if you could build it yourself:
Base MCS:$22,600
Base JCW:$29,200
- headliner
- premium wheels
- bigger turbo
- exhaust
- piano black interior trim
- upgraded pistons
- upgraded clutch
- upgraded diff
- upgraded transmission
- Brembo front brake upgrade
- upgraded rear brake set
- upgraded speedo
- special shift ****
- badges

* I know some are not completely needed, but all give it character and I am sure some of you have bought more frivolous things for our toys. If you add all these up with install the price is just fine in my opinion. just my 2 cents.
Well put

Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Agreed... +2

Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Why no auto in the JCW?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
mikehaze
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
Why no auto in the JCW?
I'm guessing JCW owners want the truest driving experience, so...

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I would agree that an atomic tranny is out of character for a JCW, but I would argue that it is equally out character to offer the JCW in a clubbie format.

I'm guessing they are worried about the atomic tranny being able to handle the power (long term reliability).

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Careful..you may start a whole new war...Auto vs. Manual guys...its been know to happen...Manual is the only way to go

Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
jsmith6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
Why no auto in the JCW?
They had this same debate with the Mustang Cobra. Ford's response was that the car was intended to be the purest car in the sense of racing. They then listed cars that have been strictly manuals and so on. While I enjoy, love and will only own/operate a manual, not everyone sees it like me. Ford received a letter from a disabled vet who wanted a slushbox Cobra. They told him that the massive majority of the market wanted a stick, it lasts longer, it's cheaper to operate, less likely to be stolen and so on. They soon released the Mach I with a slushbox which hushed the crowd.

If I had to pick a reason or two: performance, performance minded and cost.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I've driven one and I feel it's worth the premium. Just looking at the features it has over a stock S, it's worth it.

That being said, I bought a low mile CPO VW R32 instead of a JCW, since it was about 10k less. Horrible mpg, vague steering and dsg, but it'll do since I already have an '08 MCS anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I went to test drive a JCW yesterday...