F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Starnill COB LED H4 replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Starnill COB LED H4 replacements

Hi I just placed this thread also in the 'Electrical' forum too, ....... I just saw an ad for the Starnill COB LED H4 replacement kit......anyone familiar with this product?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0d81a7887ff5bf

Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
For the love of all that is good, don't get those bulbs.

The H4 bulb is sensitive to light source location, since the bulb provides both low and high beam. Those look just horrible. You will have glare everywhere, and become hated by everyone.

"IF" you are going to get an LED replacement bulb, I would consider something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/CougarMotor-H...eywords=H4+led

Notice how there is a shield over the low beam LED? That should help with the excessive glare, in theory.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
doesn't work that way... exactly... close but...

It is NOT the bulb that difusses and projects the light. The bulb is the source of the light output. The issue with any type of bulb, lies with the housing that the bulb is placed in.

If the housing is the projector type housing, then it can harness the light output, and focus it onto the road.

Where you lie into trouble, is using a Halogen Housing design, that is very bulb oriented in how it functions.

You can use a LED bulb in the place of an HID bulb that is fitted inside a projector housing, but you cannot use an LED or HID bulb to replace a Halogen bulb inside a NON projector, Halogen type housing. It will not be able to harness the light and directed it onto the road in a controlled manner.