F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 How to clean windshield? Wiper marks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:07 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How to clean windshield? Wiper marks?

I clean my windshield couple times a week to a squeaky clean using Stoner Invisible glass cleaner spray and paper towel or microfiber towel. I mean it's not that hard because the windshield is so tiny.

Sometimes I clean it, and then also use RainX, followed by three more times of wiping the access off using Stoner cleaner spray or water.

The problem is even after cleaning so many times and it looks clean when dry under daylight, when it gets wet I can clearly see the wiper marks. When it rains, the water beads down where the wiper marks are. The picture was taken after blowing warm air from my mouth.

When the car was new (2 years ago) I applied Aquapel water repellant that lasts at least 6 months. I tried baking soda, vinegar, toothpaste, BarKeepersFriend liquid, dish soap with magic eraser, alcohol, pencil eraser (getting desperate).

Is there any way to really get rid of these marks?

By the way, because my rain sensor had the gel leaking more than 5 times now, dealer replaced the whole windshield with a brand new one. I had not since applied Aquapel nor RainX just to rule out things.

Because there were weird smudges everywhere that appears only when moist, I did use Windex, and then used alcohol to get rid of whatever Windex left on the windshield. Wiped it with at least 10 times by now with water, alcohol, Stoners Glass Cleaner.

When I use my microfiber bought from Costco, yellow 24 pack or something, it always leaves some specks on the glass. Is this because it's a poor quality microfiber?

There's still lots of other marks that appear only when wet, as shown in the photo. Wiper was also just replaced during 2nd year oil change. It's crystal clear when dry, but as soon as it gets wet I can see marks all over the glass.

Attached Thumbnails How to clean windshield? Wiper marks?-20161128_172405.jpg  

Last edited by hp79; 12-22-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Clay bar and polish. Really does a great job. The problem is mineral buildup carried and left by water.
This is the stuff I use. The website has helpful how to videos if you're interested. Wade thru their catalog, they've got tons of great car care products.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
and

Old 12-05-2016, 09:53 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
0000 steel wool with stoner or the like for lubrication.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:26 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glass is not that hard and those marks are wear marks that have to be buffed out. You have to be certain your buffing/polishing method isn't doing more harm than good.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 AM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about squeaky wipers? 2nd pair in a row that squeaks, drives me nuts.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
You definitely need to work unusually hard to keep this windshield clean and beading water. Something with a mild abrasive like others have stated but not too coarse to keep from scratching the glass. Clay bar then a non-porous surface polish/sealant. This isn't just a wash and rain-x deal as you have found hehe.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen the same issue (wiper marks) on my Mini and other cars that I've owned, and was wondering how to get rid of or avoid.

If I interpret correctly, I see 2 different causes posted here.
And I'm only trying to understand correctly.

> mineral build up
> wear marks by wiper blade

I tend to believe it's the latter.
What's your opinion as for the cause?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 AM
fradaj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just use a wet/damp microfiber. Keep cleaning it and over time it should go away. Sometimes things such as stickers and what not will persist and can only be seen when the glass is humid.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
+1 for the Griots garage products. The microfiber they make for glass is awesome.

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Clay bar and polish. Really does a great job. The problem is mineral buildup carried and left by water.
This is the stuff I use. The website has helpful how to videos if you're interested. Wade thru their catalog, they've got tons of great car care products.
and

Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucila
+1 for the Griots garage products. The microfiber they make for glass is awesome.

Maybe odd, but I wax all of my exterior glass. Good as Rain-X. Also mix my own windshield washer using distilled water, alcohol and Dawn.

As far as blades, I like the Bosch Icons.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Does it remove marks on the windshield left by the blades that op is talking about?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
I don't have the marks he has on my windshield but they don't leave streak marks like some cheap microfibers.

Originally Posted by Chazman
Does it remove marks on the windshield left by the blades that op is talking about?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
I don't have the marks he has on my windshield but they don't leave streak marks like some cheap microfibers.
It's good to know that.
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clevelandrum
How about squeaky wipers? 2nd pair in a row that squeaks, drives me nuts.
I also had squeaky wipers. Read somewhere to lube the rubber seal at wiper pivot at base of windshield,use silicone spray or wd40 type lubricant. Worked for me.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:09 PM
hp79
4th Gear
I think waxing the glass or using other slick water repellant just hides the wiper mark for a little bit. The build up comes back even stronger once the wiper has been used more times.

Also, it's a brand new glass that I'm talking about. I don't think it's a physical wear so I won't be using steel wool. I may have to try the glass clay bar. I tried regular clay bar but that didn't help.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:45 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79
I think waxing the glass or using other slick water repellant just hides the wiper mark for a little bit. The build up comes back even stronger once the wiper has been used more times.

Also, it's a brand new glass that I'm talking about. I don't think it's a physical wear so I won't be using steel wool. I may have to try the glass clay bar. I tried regular clay bar but that didn't help.
If the car is new and/or under warranty, take it to the dealer and show them the issue.

Prior to shipment from England the cars are sprayed with a protective coating that is supposed to be removed at the vehicle processing center. This could be an issue.

In any case, prior to attempting to do ANYTHING that would give the dealer a reason to blame you for a windshield issue, it might be wise to give the problem to the dealer.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:50 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Oh, I just read that the car is 2 years old and has a new windshield. Sorry. Clearly not a factory shipping coating problem.

But the car with the new warranty windshield should be taken back for the dealer to evaluate.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I run all my glass with a single edge razor blade at least twice a year

followed by a clay pass ....

try it ....

you'll be amazed what comes off...

Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Also, RainX is awesome stuff but it speeds up the aging process of the wiper blade rubber making it wear out faster.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:02 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

This is the way I've done it for 20 years and have had no problems. Just make sure you're using 0000.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:27 AM
hp79
4th Gear
One of the difficulty looking for solution on cleaning windshield is that people have different standards. I'm one of those that really look close and carefully so while I see something on the glass maybe 80% people don't see it. I have returned electronics (gadgets) because of lines and seems are not aligned correctly, while some people don't see it at all and thinks I'm crazy.

The RainX rain repellant covers up (not remove) the wiper marks. That's why it looks like it's cleaned up but it's actually still there. RainX is like a layer of wax that sticks on the windshield. I'm guessing this might be what gets stuck good on the wiper blade and then leaves marks that are almost impossible to remove. Or it could just be the rubber itself.

My first windshield only had 7k miles, the second one is still under 1k miles. Both are developing similar wiper marks. It's not just the MINI. I'm wiping it with different cleaning solutions (Turtle Ice Windshield cleaner / Stoner / isopropyl alcohol) back and fourth when I clean it, hoping it'll remove the marks.

I don't think I need a dealer visit. I mean it's just some kind of stubborn mark that should eventually go away but I guess I want to get rid of the marks more easily. I'm still looking for a solution for the wiper marks though as they will come back (actually I never got it removed) as soon as I use wipers couple times.

How can a razor blade even lift off the weird film (which might be a polymer chemical layer) from glass? I understand you might pick up road tar or solids that are stuck on the windshield, but rubber wiper marks? I haven't ever tried steel wool, but I probably won't go there as it seems too extreme.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
How can a razor blade even lift off the weird film (which might be a polymer chemical layer) from glass? I understand you might pick up road tar or solids that are stuck on the windshield, but rubber wiper marks? I haven't ever tried steel wool, but I probably won't go there as it seems too extreme.
Glass is not porous, so any staining that occurs has to be deposits on the surface. Using a razor blade at an angle will scrape off the layer of deposited wiper blade rubber from the glass. At least that is the theory. I personally haven't tried it on my windshield but I have used a razor blade successfully for years on my shower glass door. It works great at scraping off hard water and soap scum.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Razor blade shall work, but its gonna take a long time for such big surface area. If you do it wrong, the blade can cause fine scratches. From the picture, it look like there is some sort of rubber, adhesive on the glass, I will use little bit of polish compound, spread it over the area and wipe it off with shop tower or micro fiber towel. Also look at those blades, spray some alcohol on a towel and run it along the blade which will help take out any residue from the blades.

These are standard procedures when we detail limousines

Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 AM
drivenfm
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you looking to get your property cleaned or fixed? We are happy to provide 24-hour service and AFFORDABLE rates. Call us today for your QUOTE +61 0401 616 219 or Visit our website to get more information.