F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 review and issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bratling
Is it unevenly faded, or maybe slightly discolored like an oil slick? If so, they'll replace it — it's a known problem. Mine was replaced without any question by the dealer last month.
light discoloration at either end of it. I'm planning on putting together a list for them to address before the warranty expires

Old 12-03-2016, 09:07 PM
rob.james.arias@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shorenetworks
Update after one year of ownership

Still have the oil leak and expecting it to get worse over the next several months ( cold weather) Side scuttle "S" badges are fading dealership states there fine. windshield trim is starting to show symptoms of UV damage fading.

Two new problems

1. VIN plate was filled with condensation
2. Cruse control malfunction occurred driving up to upstate NY this past weekend car acted like the brakes were applied briefly and cruse control shutdown. Took in to dealership and there solution was blaming the malfunction on my automatic OBD II code reader that was installed. no further diagnostics on there part.

And for a last bit of fun part of the service of my Mini dealership is a multipoint inspection while driving home i decided to check the tire pressure on the on board computer and tire pressures were between 30 to 31.9 even though the door card calls for 35 psi when I asked my service adviser why the tires weren't checked he replied back with "the tires being low are most likely because of the mild temperatures"

I have a lemon law case filed against BMW / Mini USA and you would think they would be doing everything they can to try and make this right but no dice.

My advice to anyone looking to buy a mini is one of two things.

1. Lease Lease Lease these things are a $$$ pit and while fun are not something you want to own outside of warranty.

2. find an excellent independent mechanic or be able to fix your own car and but an R50 or an R56 since the problems are well known and so are the fixes. But even with that would suggest to keep it as a 2nd car.

3. The answer is always Miata! bought a 1991 this summer put almost 4K miles on it and the only repairs to date were an alternator belt @ a cost of 15.00 and a radiator @ a cost of 140.00. Much more challenging to drive quick but much more rewarding.

First, both of my f56 have had one or another of a few of the problems you listed so I feel your pain. For the oil leak, I had to solve this for myself. They replaced the cap twice and I still had the leak. It is the black plastic seal under the ca that is the problem. You need two of the seals and the problem is solved. Not sure why one of cars leaked and the other didn't. However this fixed the problem.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:46 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Smaller gas tank-according to dealer, the F56 platform was designed to be a hybrid option. They made the tank smaller and moved it to the other side of the car. Great, not only Mini is trying to be a Subaru with 4 doors, it is also trying to be a Prius (**** ant) Leaf (like in falling) and a host of others. Having owned a gen 1 for ten years, my wife's gen2, I keep feeling that Mini is now being targeted for the wrong demographic and sales probably reflect this.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
After 2.5 years and 67,000 miles I 've had no issues to speak of, and way too much fun.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
I love my car and have no problems at all. I would say my car is awesome, and well built.

I hate to hear that everyone is having these problems though.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:25 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by DunkM
I love my car and have no problems at all. I would say my car is awesome, and well built.

I hate to hear that everyone is having these problems though.
I second that! Too much negatively, but forums seem to draw out the negatives.

It's just my opinion, but after almost buying gen 1 & gen 2 MINIs over the years I'm glad I waited for the gen 3. It's a better build & the engine is a BMW engine not a mixture of suppliers from everywhere! The problems will be worked through just like any new design. But I've had no problems! Love the F56 even without a dipstick! :-)

Old 06-02-2017, 01:58 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
In other news got my first check engine light this morning U019D no luck finding any info online going in next Tuesday.
I'm following up on this – in April my check engine light came on, and the OBD-II code was U019D. Automatic's app guessed incorrectly at the meaning of the diagnosis, which turned out to have nothing much to do with "Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor".

I took it to the dealer. Tech hooked it up to the MINI/BMW computer and pulled this code: 1B8302 FOR LIN COMMUNICATION ENVIRONMENTAL AIRCAT SENSOR. That indicated failure of a sensor that is part of the radiator.

Replacing this sensor required replacing … wait for it … the entire radiator.

Attached Thumbnails F56 review and issues-mini-check-engine-code-u109d-diagnosis-and-warranty-fix.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 02:51 PM
shorenetworks
2nd Gear
I've had the code come up two times so I'm on my 3rd radiator.

so far since the last time in the shop I have put on 1200 miles without another code but still leaking oil.

chris

Old 06-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest issue is the loss of soul in the new Mini the old car R56 justa was much much more fun to drive and toss around more of a "drivers car" Where the new one is much more sterile car gone is the fun of pushing the car and getting rewarded from doing so. Feels much more like a (new) BMW loads of power but easy to drive fast.
I'm surprised that you didn't notice above shortfall while test driving before the purchase especially that you owned R56 before. ???

Pros:
> Fun to drive
> Good power to weight ratio
> Good handling
> Long lasting OEM tires (Pirelli Cinturato)
> Respectable MPG (35-38)

Cons:
> Engine stalling in cold morning.
> Drivetrain Malfunction Error.
> Dead battery in less than 3 years.
> Clunking sound from suspension on rough roads.
> Rattling noise coming from inside the dash.

Before I purchased my Mini (first timer), somehow I had an imagination of Mini as a premium brand (because built by BMW?), but it failed miserably in my case. The quality and reliability of Mini is far behind that of typical Japanese/Korean cars. But quite fun to drive as I expected to be!

Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 AM
rob.james.arias@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Lots of issues

2016 F55 Lower control arms replaced, radiator replaced for some sensor in it that required entire radiator swap, in the shop now for three weeks to attempt and slove a misfire on multiple cylinders. Less than 2k miles on new car and it has spent over a month in the shop. That said my 2015 F55 has had zero issues and my wife beats the heck out of that car.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 PM
angrymini
2nd Gear
Other than the bluetooth issues i have not had too many problems with my mini. I upgraded to the HK sound system, when i make a phone call using the bluetooth i hear a strange posing sound every few minutes. Mini of Scottsdale had my car at one time for almost three months, tried to see about this being covered by the lemon law but was told that since it does not affect the drivability that I'm out of luck. At one time the engineers in germany supposedly knew my car as the bluetooth car. I ended up getting my windows tinted and new tires since this issue is still there. Im very happy that i has not run into any of the other problems i have been reading about here but i am certain that something will happen sooner or later.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
My Hankooks got swapped out within the first week that I had the car. The HK's are stacked in my storage building and will likely be there dry rotting 20 years from now.
Mine are stacked w/ the wheels also. Will go back on the car when traded.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Mine are stacked w/ the wheels also. Will go back on the car when traded.
Except I don't see you trading your little pocket rocket in the near future...lol!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Since I can't reuse the tentacle spokes with my BBK I sold them with a set of used Goodyears for a grand. A good deal since I included the TPMS. Helped finance my Sparco seats. I do still have a set of Crown Spokes from my R56 laying around somewhere though.

Last edited by vetsvette; 06-22-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Disheartening to read of all the problems. Agree about not owning one out of warranty. My 2012 Justa was a great car......manual shift. Traded it for a 2015 Justa which I have owned for a year and 8 months. I feel guilty saying I have no problems at all in light of what I'm reading, but it is a garage queen and only has 10,000 miles on it.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyCar
Disheartening to read of all the problems. Agree about not owning one out of warranty. My 2012 Justa was a great car......manual shift. Traded it for a 2015 Justa which I have owned for a year and 8 months. I feel guilty saying I have no problems at all in light of what I'm reading, but it is a garage queen and only has 10,000 miles on it.
Two pages of posts on a 3 year old model is nothing, really not a problem car at this point.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM
JonCanada
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chazman
Cons:
> Engine stalling in cold morning.
> Drivetrain Malfunction Error.
My mini had a similar issue of dying at idle on a cold morning - and it turned out to be a faulty valve cover gasket forum link. Next time it's in the shop, you should ask them to run a pressure test on the cylinders. Hopefully that fixes one of your cons

Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 AM
shorenetworks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Two pages of posts on a 3 year old model is nothing, really not a problem car at this point.
No but the same issues are, also the fact that the resale values fell through the floor + sales numbers are down tells me reliability among other issues are dragging the brand down. So sick of this car and all the issues will be going back to the dealer for visit 13,14... can remember at this point and the dealer admits the car is a problem but refuses to step up and do the right thing stating... "BMW must buyback the car" There head in the sand approach cost them a customer as I would have bought another manufacture car from one of there sister dealerships had they done the right thing.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:18 AM
shorenetworks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher

^^ was under two years old at the time of this post

Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
The wife's car is approaching 40k miles and is a little over 2 years old. So far hers has had the following issues:

-stock Hankook tires are garbage and wore out in about 10k miles
-auto-dimming mirror was leaking and needed replaced
-faulty brake pad wear sensor
-cover falls off driver's door handle
-cover falls off auto shifter
-front black bumper is fading despite being waxed multiple times a year and being garage kept
-black plastic wiper tray is faded despite being garage kept and treated regularly
-squeaking passenger seatback
-numerous weird noises from suspension
-squeal when turning on cold days
-leaking washer nozzle on hood
-black plastic trim around fenders just wants to fade no matter what i do

I only managed to keep my '15 Cooper S for about 13k miles but encountered the following:
-defective control arm bushings
-defective upper steering column shaft
-defective/poorly designed rear suspension that clunked over every bump
-door rubber wearing away paint in door jam on driver side
-squeal from steering on cold days

The cars are fun to drive and they do start up every time. Never left us stranded (fingers crossed).

But wow are they GARBAGE!!!

all of the issues that we encountered were not flukes either as others on the forum dealt with the same issues as did Car and Driver with their long term vehicle (Making Lemonade). It's really a shame because my wife enjoys her car and mine was a blast to drive. How has BMW/Mini still not figured this out??
Was searching for posts about tires and came across your post where you mention this: "-defective upper steering column shaft" about your vehicle. < What were the symptoms of this issue?