F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Lowering Springs? Be Sure to Cut Your ‘Bump Stops’

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lowering Springs? Be Sure to Cut Your ‘Bump Stops’

I purchased my F56 S back in late 2014. Back then there were few manufacturers of lowering springs for the F56. H&R was one of them. In the instructions there was no mention of bump stops or cutting them. After having them installed it was apparent that the car was riding very rough and harsh. I tried to live with it for several months but it was awful. Let me mention that I like my cars to have a firm/stiff ride, but this was too much. I started hearing that the NM springs rode smooth and that others had switched from H&R to NM for this reason. But in reading through the NM instructions I noted that NM stated that it was very important to cut the bump stops and it got me thinking. Maybe I should try cutting the bump stop to see if it helps. It made a huge difference. What was harsh and bouncy is now smooth and compliant. I should also mention that the car has EDC (electronic dampers). It even allowed the car to sit lower now that it wasn’t sitting on the bump stops. I would say it is about ½” lower now, and rides much much better, and looks much better also. It is a PITA to cut them in the car but worth it. Attached is a picture of the cutoff pieces of the bump stop. Also attached a copy of the NM instructions for reference.

Hoopty

Attached Thumbnails -f56-bump-stops.jpg   -nm-spring-installation-instructions.jpg  

Last edited by Hoopty; 07-15-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I didn't get any instructions with my NM springs. I had mine installed by an experienced Mini/BMW tech and don't remember him cutting the bump stops. I was watching the entire procedure. Mine rides smoothly and I haven't noticed it to be overly harsh, but I have the Sport Suspension so that may be the difference.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM
minisf56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice tip hoopty.. reminds me back in 98 with my first car. I paid a "tuning" shop to install lowering springs on my civic.. the ride was so bad and noisy - but I always though that was the sacrifice i had to make for lowering... I only found out about the mistake when I bought coilovers a year later that my friend installed in his garage! he noticed my bumpstops were not cut and I was riding on them the whole time with the lowering springs!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm close to getting lowering springs fitted to my Mini and was concerned with the car hitting the bump stops which ruined the ride I had with a previous car I had on lowered springs..

I will get the installer to trim them down I think so many thanks for the tip

Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Joespeed
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for posting this info.. getting H&R springs installed next week.. i'll notify the shop to take this into consideration

Old 07-15-2016, 11:13 PM
vetsvette
Is it possible to cut them while they're on the car?

Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Is it possible to cut them while they're on the car?
As mentioned in the OP........yes, but it is a PITA. Mainly getting the dust covers back on.

Hoopty

Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
this is a grey area. while yes, cutting your bumpstops with lowering springs is ideal, the shocks/struts were not designed to travel more than the bumpstop itself...you'll only increase the chance of blowing one of them or speeding up their lifespan until they eventually blow.

i have NM Springs and expect the harsh ride. maybe i don't get it as rough as you. in either case, good luck with the new setup.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
this is a grey area. while yes, cutting your bumpstops with lowering springs is ideal, the shocks/struts were not designed to travel more than the bumpstop itself...you'll only increase the chance of blowing one of them or speeding up their lifespan until they eventually blow.

i have NM Springs and expect the harsh ride. maybe i don't get it as rough as you. in either case, good luck with the new setup.
So you installed the NM springs but decided not to follow the instructions that came with the springs.....?

Last edited by Hoopty; 07-16-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 PM
vetsvette
I'm guessing he, like me didn't get any instructions.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I'm guessing he, like me didn't get any instructions.
Correct.. And I did the same with previous cars.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 PM
ShadowImg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also that bump stop is to try to absorb energy in a last ditch effort to stop it from all being sent into the chassis itself. If your lowering springs are so low that you ride at the bump stops, you're way too low, and you have no suspension compression travel left. That'll absolutely destroy a chassis in reasonably short order. If this is a normal thing people do, I'm guessing these cars are known for having badly deformed/bent/broken strut mounts on the chsasis?

I know lower 'feels' better, but suspension travel is important - a car with no suspension travel and a suspension that doesn't dampen is slow, no two ways about it. The one with functional travel wins. Can't imagine what bumps feel like on the street like that. Must be jarring, and probably sounds like slamming a door.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Joespeed
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found this from H&R's site..

http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/m..._jounce_bumper

Heres another link from H&Rs site which shows the various cars (the f56 is not on here) but shows that cutting the bumpstops is necessary

That being said, my car is in the shop now getting H&R springs, so a modest drop of 1.1".. so IDK if trimming the bumpstops or not will matter...

that being said, I sent the techs both the NM install sheet which shows the cutting and the H&R article.. I'll leave it in their capable hands.. really excited to see the finished product

Last edited by Joespeed; 07-22-2016 at 10:48 AM.