F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Ordering a F55. What are your must have options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 06:02 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a F55. What are your must have options?

I am going to be ordering a F55 soon and I am trying to figure out the options that I really want to get. Let me know what your must have options are and what options really surprised you with how good they were. This is what I am thinking of getting so far:

Cold Weather Package
Sport Package
Media Package
LED Front Lights
Chrome Line Interior and Exterior
17" Tentacle Spoke Wheels
Dark Truffle Leather
Dark Truffle Color Line
Garage Door Opener
Comfort Access

I am hoping this is all that I will need for the car. I don't have a need for Navigation as this car will rarely be used on any trips, and WAZE is pretty darn good. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that I would necessarily need. Is there any way to get the Carbon Edition stripes put on the car?!?!

Thanks for your input and advice!

Looking forward to getting another Mini as we traded the last one in for a MINIVAN! :(

Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered on Friday. Here's my build:

British Racing Green II Body Color
Cold Weather Package
Fully Loaded Package
Wired Upgrade
LED Headlights with Cornering Lights
White Bonnet Stripes
17" Silver Tentacle Spoke
Rear Park Distance Control
6-Speed Steptronic Automatic
Universal Garage Door Opener with Compass
Rear Spoiler
White Roof/Mirrors
LED Front Fog Lights
Active Driving Assistant
SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Replacing a 2014 F56 that was totaled on 1/18...

Old 02-07-2016, 07:45 PM
KazO
2nd Gear
That's pretty close to my year-old '15.
- Adding Mini Yours Interior Style gets you the lighting strip on all the doors
- If you want the car to beep and not just blink when (un)locking, you'll want the alarm. I don't think it can be added later. They key is even different.
- HK stereo is a HUGE improvement over base
- I REALLY like the Storage Package. For one, without it, there isn't a way to make the floor flat with the rear seats folded.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:10 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
I would definitely add the HK stereo and the storage package.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
+1 on the HK, and +100 on the LED headlights and fogs.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:36 AM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
I'll second the calls for the storage package, HK, and LED headlights.

I had those on my 2014 F56 and they were absolute requirements on my 2016 F55 order.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 AM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The must haves for me were the cold weather package, HK stereo and manual transmission. The car I bought just happened to have the LED headlights and after owning these I would never go back to standard halogens, it's quite a dramatic difference.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:57 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Awesome thanks! Already have the Led lights, just not the swiveling ones.

Does the hk stereo offer anything other than better sound? This car is for my wife and she couldn't care less about how it sounds. Though enhanced functionality may be a selling point for her.

I'm going to take a look at the storage, but the description on minis site doesn't really sell it for me.

I also want to look at the interior styling. It sounded gimmicky to me, but usually mini does things well and doesn't make it look cheesy. Could be a nice upgrade. Keep the ideas coming, they are really helping!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I am going to be ordering a F55 soon and I am trying to figure out the options that I really want to get. Let me know what your must have options are and what options really surprised you with how good they were. This is what I am thinking of getting so far:

Cold Weather Package
Sport Package
Media Package
LED Front Lights
Chrome Line Interior and Exterior
17" Tentacle Spoke Wheels
Dark Truffle Leather
Dark Truffle Color Line
Garage Door Opener
Comfort Access
-LED headlights make a huge difference when driving at night and it's one of those things that I'll never do without again.
-If you're interested in the HK system and comfort access (which is also really nice), you may want to opt instead for the Premium package which will include those two items, the sunroof, and the storage package, which is VERY useful. Without the storage package, your trunk will just be a well and with the seats folded down, you don't have a flat surface to load anything big in. It really makes the car more versatile and if you're coming from a bigger car, you'll want all the storage options you can get. Not retrofittable either!
- If you want Bluetooth audio, keep in mind the stock radio DOES NOT do BT audio. Bluetooth for phone calls is standard, but if you want to listen to music wirelessly, you need the Media package. The screen is pretty useful by itself anyway, IMO.

Is there any way to get the Carbon Edition stripes put on the car?!?!
Yes! Your dealer can find the part number and order them/install them for you, or worst case, you can always have a graphics shop create them for you too.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone's opinion will be different, probably depending on their age. The younger you are the more gadgets you want and the older you are the less you want. I'm old and I'd love to eliminate about half of them on my base Mini.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:59 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The storage package includes the moving load floor that can make a flat cargo space and also provides a storage area under the floor, the cargo-area cigarette lighter outlet, some brackets that create the ability to slightly tip forward the rear seats, nets in the front passenger floor-well and on the back of the seats and, for some reason, the extra driver's side sun visor.

The flat load floor is very useful. It's all stuff that should have been standard but is still a pretty good bargain.

The non-HK stereo is truly horrible, like kitchen radio bad, and upgrading is difficult. Make sure you listen to both before not buying the HK. The HK is about the quality of most standard radios. It would be cruel to get a car she is going to love and have something that glaringly insufficient greet her every morning.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:41 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You gotta get the upgraded stereo (HK). Even if you don't listen to it (like my wife) you still have to get it. Nobody will buy it from you without it.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
Everyone's opinion will be different, probably depending on their age. The younger you are the more gadgets you want and the older you are the less you want. I'm old and I'd love to eliminate about half of them on my base Mini.
2 years ago, I would have agreed with that sentiment. Now, comfort access, Sirius radio, sunroof, led lights, navigation, Bluetooth, twin auto air/heat control, camara back-up and HUD are darn near life or death to me! Lol! A note to the OP, I highly recommend to get NAV XL. It is very nice, and adds value to your car when u trade it in. Leather high dollar interiors are nice, but in my experience is they are worth very little on trade. I like the cloth seats now as much as I did leather before anyway. Enjoy your new ride, MINI's are mighty awesome!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
LED head lights.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, the non negotiable options were:

17" tentacle spoke wheels
Comfort access
Storage package (must have armrest)
HK sound system
Sunroof
Satellite grey interior with matching door panels.
LED lights

Everything else was just more gadgets. I've heard from people who have NAV in their cars, that they don't use it as often as the thought they would. Also I thought that the media package would just be a distraction while driving. Im not dissatisfied with my basic radio display, after all I don't look at the radio, I listen to it!

Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Heated seats and LED headlights are a must for up north. H/K would be next.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Infam0usP
Neutral
Premium package because it gets you the Comfort Access keyless entry, moonroof, storage package, & HK premium sound system at a discounted "bundle" prince

JCW Interior package for the upgraded steering wheel, steel pedals, shift **** (manual only) & door sills

LED headlights for better road visibility

Old 02-14-2016, 03:17 PM
TheMiniChick
1st Gear
You can stream music without HK if you have the media package or wired package.

In terms of the storage package boot floor, it's a great and convenient addition. The added piece has two positions. In the top position, when seats folded down, you get a flat surface to transport larger objects or pets. In the lower position, it drops the load floor a few inches. Both positions creates a hidden compartment underneath the floor piece. It is also removable or it can be stowed in the up position against the rear seats when they are in the up position (giving you a deeper boot area). It's worked great grocery shopping because I can toss the eggs or breakables in the hidden compartment while placing heavier objects on top. Or storing those objects that are always in the car. The best part of the design is the rear boot cover lid fits underneath perfectly if you need to remove it to fit something large in the back. For $250, I'd definitely add it.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Well we placed our order last week, here is the rundown:
Deep blue metallic
Cross punch dark truffle leather
Dark truffle color line
Cold weather
Media package
Premium package
Sport package
Wired upgrade
Garage door opener
Chrome line exterior and interior
Chrome mirror caps and black stripes

Couldnt believe how quickly options added up and how the price has changed since we purchased a 2005 mcs. We paid 26.5 for that car and the msrp on this was was 35050! Luckily dealers will actually deal and we didn't pay msrp like we did on the 05!

The wait begins.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
JCW Pro Tuning Kit. It will bring you many smiles!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, that sound , note the F55 ( 11122360847 ) has it own part number, not the same as the F56, but they share the tips.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ning-kits.html

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-04-2016, 08:05 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Is there just a standard ecu tune that will get me the same if not better numbers? Thinking of my last car where an ecu tune gained well over 50 rwhp and much more torque. Granted it was on a much larger motor, but the gains should be there somewhere?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Custom tune or one of the other flash tunes on the forums. The factory JCW Tuning kit is an ecu flash and that awesome sounding exhaust.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
HK Stereo (if you like to listen to music) Base Stereo isn't bad, but in most cases the radio is on most of the time. So better than passable sound makes sense to me.

Storage Package (nice extra cubby under the rear boot (also allows for flat storage when you fold down rear seats)

Comfort access (sorry I didn't order with mine. Key fob stays in pocket and door will be open)

Wired Package (complete connectivity)

17" Tentacle Spoke Wheels (good looking and relatively light wheels)

Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well we placed our order last week, here is the rundown:
Deep blue metallic
Cross punch dark truffle leather
Dark truffle color line
Cold weather
Media package
Premium package
Sport package
Wired upgrade
Garage door opener
Chrome line exterior and interior
Chrome mirror caps and black stripes

Sounds posh! Find all the tracking and shipping info.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Ordering a F55. What are your must have options?