F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Coopercaba
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
Just got word from my dealership, getting a new engine

Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
nigel56
Neutral
I also received this recall, on my new F56 (6sp manual) - less than 2500 miles. This is the 3rd major issue in the short time I've had the car. First, the car would pop out of first gear, resulting in coming to a dead stop part way through an intersection. Very scary, but the dealer fixed it quickly - new shift assembly. Less than two weeks later, the shift cable broke, leaving me with only 3rd and 4th gear - had to limp 30 miles to my dealer (in a snow storm...which was actually good - everyone else was driving slowly too). That was also fixed quickly, and like the first time, I was given a loaner without even asking. Now this. Should find out tomorrow what the resolution is. I am a little freaked out at this point - this is my first experience with a MINI. I absolutely love it - I've wanted one for a long time and couldn't be happier with the basic driving experience and so far the dealer (MINI of Bedford, NH) has been great. My fingers are crossed...I don't want to listen to my husband say "YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT SUBARU, HONEY" for the next several years...hope things work out well for the rest of you dealing with this problem as well. Cheers.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our F56S, manual 6 speed. 2014 falls within this build period.
We have not heard from So. Calif. dealer yet.
What are the clutch symptoms?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Took the Mini to the dealer to have them fix my LED door sills and try to find a noise in the rear suspension. (10000 miles) After she stuck my fob in the key reader she turned and said, "oh look! Your car has a recall!". I don't think I was as thrilled as her though. It's for the crankshaft bearings. They couldn't schedule it for today because they had no loaners. Now scheduled for the 22nd, and she said they'd need it for at least a week and probably more if they replace the engine. The only upside is they're sending someone to pick up my car and drop off the loaner. At least it'll save me the gas and 150 miles round trip drive. Aaarg! :(

Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody with Automatic transmission that has been affected by this recall? The dealer in my country is not very active so I'm getting worried since my car falls within the build date.

It seems to not only affect US-spec cars but Euro-spec as well.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nigel56
I also received this recall, on my new F56 (6sp manual) - less than 2500 miles. This is the 3rd major issue in the short time I've had the car. First, the car would pop out of first gear, resulting in coming to a dead stop part way through an intersection. Very scary, but the dealer fixed it quickly - new shift assembly. Less than two weeks later, the shift cable broke, leaving me with only 3rd and 4th gear - had to limp 30 miles to my dealer (in a snow storm...which was actually good - everyone else was driving slowly too). That was also fixed quickly, and like the first time, I was given a loaner without even asking. Now this. Should find out tomorrow what the resolution is. I am a little freaked out at this point - this is my first experience with a MINI. I absolutely love it - I've wanted one for a long time and couldn't be happier with the basic driving experience and so far the dealer (MINI of Bedford, NH) has been great. My fingers are crossed...I don't want to listen to my husband say "YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT SUBARU, HONEY" for the next several years...hope things work out well for the rest of you dealing with this problem as well. Cheers.
Cooper or Cooper S?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 AM
nigel56
Neutral
Originally Posted by MidnightF56
Cooper or Cooper S?
Cooper S

Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 AM
nigel56
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mrdi
In my case, there were no obvious clutch symptoms - the dealer proactively initiated the recall. I had other shift issues (faulty assembly then a snapped cable, both repaired) but it's not clear to me if these are related.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:13 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 14
Build Date: February 2014
Status: no engine replacement. 2 crankshaft bearings replaced.
My SA is off today but says she will have a quick test drive done tomorrow AM for verification and i should be able to pick it up shortly thereafter.

TIP: if you have an NM or Burger, take it off. if you do need a new engine, MINI will need pictures of the engine bay. if they see any tune, you may be denied. my buddy told me to take it off to play it safe.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:32 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mrdi
For me, the clutch would intermittently get a mushy feel and wouldn't return to it's normal position after being pressed. It would typically be fine after depressing the clutch again.

I ended up with full engine replacement.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
Year: 14
Build Date: February 2014
Status: no engine replacement. 2 crankshaft bearings replaced.
My SA is off today but says she will have a quick test drive done tomorrow AM for verification and i should be able to pick it up shortly thereafter.

TIP: if you have an NM or Burger, take it off. if you do need a new engine, MINI will need pictures of the engine bay. if they see any tune, you may be denied. my buddy told me to take it off to play it safe.
Yep. I'm pulling the NM module and replacing the stock intake this weekend. Nothing to see here folks, just a normal engine...

I think I'd rather have a new engine than depend on them replacing the bearings.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM
nigel56
Neutral
Same outcome for me - no visible damage, bearings replaced, was able to pick my car up today. All seems well, hoping for the best going forward!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Took mine in yesterday drove 2 hrs to dealer for side impact recall to be told I'd have to bring it back in 2 weeks for bearing recall check. I wasn't happy if I have to have a new engine I'm going to be pissed. Around a year ago it was in the shop for 2+months for a transmission replacement. Hell if wasn't for negative equity I would trade the thing.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Bringing mine to the dealer tomorrow for this (and a new shift ****). I have 8000 miles on it. Will see what they say.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Coopercaba
1st Gear
My MINI has been at the dealership for a week now. New engine. The Tech told me they found very minimal damage, but the oil pan had pieces of metal. I'm at 16,528 miles. Going to be picking her up in a few more days. I miss my car, but i'm enjoying the automatic loaner.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Took the car in this morning, dealer called said they found some scratches, they need to check with MINI on what to do, and they are closed today. So I get to keep the 2016 clubby another day, even it is an auto.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:34 PM
BillM
1st Gear
I'm going in Wednesday for the recall. I'm going to try and speak with the service manager. I would like to know the details of the inspection plus all possible procedures.
The TSB shown in this thread calls for inspection of an upper guide bearing. To me that means they either have to remove all bearing lower halves so they can drop the crankshaft enough to see the condition of the upper half, or they are going to just remove the one lower half, inspect the crankshaft bearing surface, and infer the condition of the upper half. Unless of course they have a mandate to replace the upper bearing, which means the crank is dropped or removed.
I've rebuilt a race car bottom end and it is not to be done lightly. Debris control is paramount, and installing new bearings without line boring is a topic of debate. Proper use of assembly grease and other details are important.
On the other hand, full engine replacement is not free of concerns, a topic probably for another thread or post.
My engine is likely one of the higher mileage ones in this group, at 50k. I'm also trying to decide if that's likely to complicate things. Currently no noises or odd clutch action.

Originally Posted by nigel56
Same outcome for me - no visible damage, bearings replaced, was able to pick my car up today. All seems well, hoping for the best going forward!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:47 PM
nigel56
Neutral
Good luck on Wednesday...you have a big advantage over me in that you have a sense of what the work is...I really can't speak to any of the technical details and have to take the repairs on faith. It took them about a day and a half to do what they needed to do. Since I had no symptoms of the problem before hand, I can't judge what they did - the car feels the same. Time will tell I guess!

Originally Posted by BillM
I'm going in Wednesday for the recall. I'm going to try and speak with the service manager. I would like to know the details of the inspection plus all possible procedures.
The TSB shown in this thread calls for inspection of an upper guide bearing. To me that means they either have to remove all bearing lower halves so they can drop the crankshaft enough to see the condition of the upper half, or they are going to just remove the one lower half, inspect the crankshaft bearing surface, and infer the condition of the upper half. Unless of course they have a mandate to replace the upper bearing, which means the crank is dropped or removed.
I've rebuilt a race car bottom end and it is not to be done lightly. Debris control is paramount, and installing new bearings without line boring is a topic of debate. Proper use of assembly grease and other details are important.
On the other hand, full engine replacement is not free of concerns, a topic probably for another thread or post.
My engine is likely one of the higher mileage ones in this group, at 50k. I'm also trying to decide if that's likely to complicate things. Currently no noises or odd clutch action.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM
_ynot
1st Gear
Just heard from the dealer. Getting a new engine.

Mine is a 15 MCS, built in Nov of 14. I have 8000 miles on it.

This doesn't bother me. I would rather a fresh factory built engine than one the dealer tore down.

In the mean time, I have a brand new clubby drive around in.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:42 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by _ynot

This doesn't bother me. I would rather a fresh factory built engine than one the dealer tore down.

Dang they got you in a nice loaner...hopefully I won't get a stripped POS.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by _ynot

I'm hoping for a new engine rather than a replaced bearing too. They come to pick up my car and drop off a loaner on the 22nd. I'm thinking of trading my Suburban.... maybe if I tell them that they'll let me have a Clubby for a loaner. Last time I had a three banger with no amenities. "Yawn"

Edit: Just talked to the service department and they're gonna try to get me a countryman or clubman, whichever is available.

Last edited by vetsvette; 02-16-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:24 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Dang they got you in a nice loaner...hopefully I won't get a stripped POS.

The clubby is nice, and this one is fully loaded, but I still prefer my MCS.

I have nothing but great things to say about my dealer, I have never had the kind of service from a car dealer that I get from them. Bedford Mini in Bedford, New Hampshire.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 AM
BillM
1st Gear
Dropped off car yesterday. Service manager was very helpful. It turns out all they have to do to inspect the upper guide bearing, is to remove one lower bearing cap and bearing half shell, then use a special service tool to push out the upper half shell. Much less invasive than otherwise. He printed out the service instruction for me.
Apparently they are using 0W-20 oil now, at least in the northeast in the winter.
The 4dr 3-cyl loaner is pretty cool. Engine feels like it's lugging a bit during normal driving. A lot more torque than I expected. Not much absolute horsepower. Mileage seems great.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM
BillM
1st Gear
Update: Just got a call, bearing inspected as fine. Reassembled and ready for pickup. Hopefully that's the end of my car's story as far as this issue goes.

Dropped off car yesterday. Service manager was very helpful. It turns out all they have to do to inspect the upper guide bearing, is to remove one lower bearing cap and bearing half shell, then use a special service tool to push out the upper half shell. Much less invasive than otherwise. He printed out the service instruction for me.
Apparently they are using 0W-20 oil now, at least in the northeast in the winter.
The 4dr 3-cyl loaner is pretty cool. Engine feels like it's lugging a bit during normal driving. A lot more torque than I expected. Not much absolute horsepower. Mileage seems great.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB