F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Transmission Mistake - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 PM
hanzov69
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Mistake - Advice?

Every vehicle, including my first two MINIs, has been a manual transmission. A few years back, when ordering my 2012 CM, I let my other half convince me to get an automatic so she could drive.

I've been sad since the day I took delivery.
(Admittedly for more than just the tranny)

Exactly one month ago today, I ordered my F56 S. My MA was a good sport about the ordering process, since I was throwing a lot of options at him and the system and available options were new/different since they'd just switched over to the 2016s. One thing we discussed, I wanted back on a manual transmission.

At the end of the process, he gave me a build sheet to review. I looked it over, saw all my important features were there and called it good.

Today I checked WW Logistics and hurray, it's got a vessel and port ETA!
I saw a thread earlier that discussed using the BMW Archives VIN decoder, so I ran my through it... Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddle Shifters!

Freaking out, I dug out the order sheet, thinking the site must be wrong or god forbid something happened between me leaving and the actual order going in. There, buried between the dozens of options (I basically got them all) it was... $1,500 line item for the auto.

Clearly, I reviewed this and missed it, so I will take the brunt of the blame.

But (for those of you who made it this far), what should I do? I don't really want to pay the extra for the mistake, and I'm reluctant (although not unable) to live with an auto trans for another few years. But I also don't want to wait any longer for the right car, and I doubt the dealer wants to be stuck with my one off. Suggestions?

TL;DR- I wanted a manual transmission, dealer ordered automatic but it's my fault for not catching it. Advice?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They don't have trouble selling automatics. What else is on the build?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:43 PM
hanzov69
Banned
I'll just run down the sheet
NEE1 Leather Cross Punch Carbon Black
ZCW Cold Weather
ZFL Fully Loaded
ZPP Premium Pack
ZSP Sport Pack
--2E8 18" Cone Spoke Wheels
--5A4 LED Headlights with Cornering Lights
ZWU Wired Upgrade
--5DP Parking Assistant
7KM JCW Interior
7L5 Wired Pack
2TB Sport Automatic Sadness
313 Power Folding Mirrors
325 Rear Spoiler
345 Chrome Line Interior
386 Roof Rails
3AR Rear-mounted bike rack prep
431 Auto Dimming rearview mirror
473 Center Armrest
4BD Interior Surface Piano Black
4F3 Color Line Glowing Red
508 Park Distance Control
6NM MINI Connected
6NT MINI Connected XL
6UH Real Time Traffic
8S4 Variable Light Decoding
ZTM Tier 2 (WTF?)
Z4L Black line headlight rings
Z5R Black Line Tail Light Kit

I skipped a few that I think are standard / not relevant (eg CO2)

Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 AM
maytulip32
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I have learned is don't settle, get what you want. Automatics sell well, I would call your MA now and get the ball rolling on what you can do. Especially since you specifically told him you wanted a manual. Just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:46 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Appears to be nicely equipped. When we went looking our dealer didn't have anything like that on his lot, Mostly base models with a few options most with sun roofs.

if he did we may have bought it rather than order since it has everything we wanted (and more).

That car should sell quickly if the dealer has to put it on his lot. You do know that until it sells it costs the dealer money. So some accommodation could be made to make the dealer whole for your mistake.

We put $1K down on our car at order and were told it would be lost if we didn't buy the car. Not sure what your transaction was but worst case, you lose your deposit, Of course, your dealer could show some mercy and let you try again without losing the deposit, but remember he will take some financial hit until he sells your car.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Life is to short to be miserable...

Motor on!

Old 07-17-2015, 06:15 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've purchased 5 Mini's since 2009 and have never put more than a couple hundred down on special orders. The last two we bought off the lot. I would be honest with the dealership and tell them what you want to do. In my opinion if the dealership is worth his salt he will allow you to reorder and put that car on his lot. I ordered one of our cars incorrectly and was allowed to do so with no hassle at all though we were buying 2 at once. I think in this case it was an honest mistake and the dealership needs to be cognizant of that. I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It's the salespersons job to understand the configuration you want. I'd say they screwed up just as much as you did.

That said, they'll have no trouble selling an automatic. Have them reorder the car you wanted all along. You can wait another few months; that's a non-starter compared to being bitter about the car forever.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely get exactly what you want especially for items that are $30k.

I have an auto with paddles and I drive 100% of the time in manual mode. I did try regular auto mode the other day and it was awful. If I have the option of dual clutch or paddle type shifting I'd choose it. I don't think that I would ever get a fully manual transmission car again.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
It's the salespersons job to understand the configuration you want. I'd say they screwed up just as much as you did.
Well, maybe. When we ordered ours, I went it with the configuator sheet and gave it to the sales manager. They input the info and gave me a copy of what they input before they sent it for final verification. Once I said it was fine, they pushed the send button and any error I let slip was mine and mine alone.

If they made a mistake on entry and I didn't catch it, still on me IMO. If they send it without my verification, then it's their fault.

I'm pretty much a personal responsibility guy. If I screw up, I accept responsibility and do not try and share blame.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Can't hurt to ask the dealer what can be done with limited downside to all parties.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Well, maybe. When we ordered ours, I went it with the configuator sheet and gave it to the sales manager. They input the info and gave me a copy of what they input before they sent it for final verification. Once I said it was fine, they pushed the send button and any error I let slip was mine and mine alone.

If they made a mistake on entry and I didn't catch it, still on me IMO. If they send it without my verification, then it's their fault.

I'm pretty much a personal responsibility guy. If I screw up, I accept responsibility and do not try and share blame.
I agree on taking responsibility for our own actions. In this circumstance, he directly told the salesman to make sure he got the manual trans. To me that means they're both at fault. In your case, you removed the power from your salesman from the equation, ensuring he had no ability to correct a mistake.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a manual guy, and my first MINI had the automatic transmission with paddle shifters. The car had everything I wanted but the manual transmission so I settled. I had that car three years and while I loved that car, I just never warmed up to the paddle shifters. I'm certain I'd still have that car if it had a manual transmission in it. If you know you want a manual don't settle.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM
dcummer
1st Gear
Order another one

The automatic car will never be worth more than it is now. Do whatever it takes to walk away from it and order the car you wanted. Auto vs. manual is too big a difference to settle for. Just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:05 AM
hanzov69
Banned
After sleeping on it, I've decided that the blame is definitely mine here. Yes, we discussed that I wanted a manual transmission, but I also should have double checked his work when given the chance. Additionally, I've had a solid month to review this and catch the error, and didn't.

My deposit on the new car was $1,500. It didn't (and doesn't) bother me. That said, I signed no paperwork committing my deposit to anything with any sort of penalty terms. If I truly wanted to push the issue I feel I could get a full refund. But I don't want to do that.

My commute to work this morning had me sitting in traffic for an hour thanks to construction. The sort of traffic where you start-stop about a million times.. it dawned on me that an auto is sort of nice during those times.

So I've decided that I'm going to keep it, and if I really truly hate it I will just eat the depreciation next spring.

All of that said though- I'm absolutely going to discuss this with the dealer and try to work something out financially that takes a little of the sting out. I suspect that we've got some wiggle room on my trade-in that will allow for us to come to terms.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM
hanzov69
Banned
Originally Posted by USA-RET

We put $1K down on our car at order and were told it would be lost if we didn't buy the car. Not sure what your transaction was but worst case, you lose your deposit, Of course, your dealer could show some mercy and let you try again without losing the deposit, but remember he will take some financial hit until he sells your car.
This is in line with something my previous MA told me when ordering my current car.. I asked why it was so impossible to find a loaded or even close to loaded MINI. He said (and I accept that it makes sense) that in their market when you start adding options and the lot price is 50-75% over the MSRP it doesn't sell quickly and they get stuck with the inventory.

Obviously he may have been wrong or this is a case of their market vice other dealer markets, but it makes sense to me.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Don't keep what you don't really want. Even if it is exactly what you definitely wanted on the day you ordered it, don't take it if you have changed your mind. You are the customer. You should pay only for what you want. The dealer may be mildly surprised and disappointed, but it's far from the first time for them, and they will have no trouble selling a AT car to someone who does want it. That's what they do.

The transmission issue is too too fundamental to your enjoyment of the car, for the next few years.

Don't be afraid of hurting the feelings of the dealer or salesman - they'll barely notice. And don't feel compelled to do anything at all just because you left them a deposit. If you want the deposit back, you'll get it back.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:02 PM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hanzov69
My commute to work this morning had me sitting in traffic for an hour thanks to construction. The sort of traffic where you start-stop about a million times.. it dawned on me that an auto is sort of nice during those times.
So you think that construction delay is going to last four years or more?

I've only had one auto trans car in 45 some odd years of owning cars. It was 87' Toyota Supra, and while I did love the car there was always something missing - the third pedal. Don't settle.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Selshan
2nd Gear
Having just come from a absolutely delightful 6MT in my last car, the sport auto w/paddles in the F56S is also a really fantastic transmission, even though it's an auto.

I'd go see if your dealership has an S w/sport auto on the lot and give it a spin. You might be surprised at how much you like it. I know I definitely was.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hanzov69
This is in line with something my previous MA told me when ordering my current car.. I asked why it was so impossible to find a loaded or even close to loaded MINI. He said (and I accept that it makes sense) that in their market when you start adding options and the lot price is 50-75% over the MSRP it doesn't sell quickly and they get stuck with the inventory.

Obviously he may have been wrong or this is a case of their market vice other dealer markets, but it makes sense to me.
I'm pretty sure what he told you is correct and makes sense in the grand scheme of car sales.

At our dealership, seemed like there was roughly a 75%-25% split between auto and stick (auto being dominant). 50/50% split with sunroofs (Florida) and a variety of colors. I could not find one with the Wired package and HK stereo anywhere.

Maybe they do keep a couple of models on the lot that are fairly well appointed and they sold before we got there.

When our car arrived the sales guys "oohed and ahhed" about how nicely optioned our car was (perhaps they never get a well optioned car as inventory, so ours we unique and appealing). Not sure if they were blowing smoke to make "a new buyer" feel good about dropping $30+K or were being honest. Maybe a bit of both.

Having had some time in a loaner MINI w/o all our options, I found that car to be quite enjoyable to drive and although I didn't have everything I wanted, I could have lived with what it came with (minus the sun roof).

As others have stated, settling is something you shouldn't do especially if you're paying the price (one reason we both ordered our cars rather than buying one off the lot). I think your approach to this mix-up is spot on (not that my opinion matters ).

Try the paddle shifter auto (before yours arrives) and see how you like it. Not sure in the MINI, but when I set my C7 to manual, the only way I can shift it is by the paddles (which I rarely do). You may absolutely love the car and not miss the stick shift at all.

In any case, I hope you resolve this issue to your satisfaction.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:10 AM
tripleTurbo
2nd Gear
I bought the manual but would be perfectly happy with this new automatic. It shifts fast and keeps the engine singing along in a very sporty way. I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Don't concern yourself with what the dealer may prefer to have in inventory, whether they like you, their presumed sales ratio of AT to MT or sunroofs or anything else that relates to their convenience rather than to your own stated preference. You don't need to excuse them for not ordering what you said you wanted - that you didn't notice their error until later does not make it your fault.

I say, tell them you want to make a new order, and ask for some kind of additional price concession. And feel free to change colors and options. Even though it will cost a couple of months, that cost will be long forgotten once you take delivery. Just get exactly what you want.

Here's a little test: Suppose two new Mini's were available to you today. One has the MT and is $1,500 cheaper and the other has the AT. Which one would you prefer today? If it's truly the AT one, then never mind anything I've said above.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is painful to read lol

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Reorder! Besides what you are telling yourself about it being YOUR fault, it isn't. You told him you desired the manual. Sure you miser it, but you don't see or deal with orders everyday, he does. He should have gone over with you, line by line, then you woul have caught it. Get what you want.

I'm in a similar situation with my roadster. I hate the automatic paddle shifters DNS all. It just doesn't shift when I want it too. Plus, when I try Nd shift it manually, there's a shifting lag. I want it positive and to shift when I want it to. Therefore I won't settle for another automatic next year when I order my next JCW.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:11 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Try and sell it as it is at the full sticker price

Plan b is reduce it by 1500

If the car you want is 1500 cheaper, your no worse off, you were happy to pay that number for a stick shift with those options

+ See if the dealer is happy to split the difference as its a joint error
Either way selling next year is going to cost your pocket a whole lot more, that's a cost the dealer will leave with you for sure

They must make at least 750 on a new car, so worst case scenario for the dealer is that they've sold 2 cars, with a hit on the margin on one, perhaps commission free on the second, getting good customer feedback along the way

Last edited by blue al; 07-26-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Win win to me

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Transmission Mistake - Advice?