F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 New JCW F56 Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New JCW F56 Dyno

Hey guys,

Just met up with a tuner friend of ours Jay at bytetronik.com to play around with his new MINI Cooper JCW. They're working on a flash tune for the platform, hard parts, etc, but to get the R&D ball rolling is running our Stage1 setup.

The car is 100% stock, automatic, running 91 octane fuel with 3 gallons of E85 mixed in.

The first thing I noticed under the hood was the new fuel pressure sensor connector I've been hearing about. Was nice to finally see one in person. Fortunately we have the new connectors in stock and we now have a compatible flex fuel connector system for it. I'll work on getting that on the site next week.

After some logging we found it runs around 15-16psi stock with today's 90 degree temps. And with the E85 mix we were able to easily turn it up another 5psi to 21psi. Which rewarded us with a nice 45whp and 49wtq gain over the stock baseline. Timing and AFR remained smooth throughout the tuned pulls.

Jay's working on a flash tune for the vehicle to do some things we can't do with a piggyback, like removing the speed limiter, and raising the fuel ceilings, and then we'll get back together in a collaborative way to design piggyback specific software meant to work with their flash for those MINI owners who want to really take it to the next level.

Last edited by Terry @ BMS; 06-26-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:26 PM
craigsix
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds great sign me up. im running +7 with ff cables and full race exhaust 98 octane and 3 gallons e85. the drivetrain malfunction is back so im running oem map connected.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
To run those higher boost levels I suspect the back end flash map will be required. We'll see what Jay comes up with.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Thanks Terry! I really need to order the Stage 1! 😄

BTW - The Stage 1 has been around awhile is it still really considered Beta? No biggie, just curious

Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 PM
e46jb
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what can be done......I am sure the JB4 for the MINI crowd will be just as popular as they are for BMW's

Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by knecht
Thanks Terry! I really need to order the Stage 1! 😄

BTW - The Stage 1 has been around awhile is it still really considered Beta? No biggie, just curious
Yes

Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good! If this stupid e34 would stop sucking up my car fund like a hoover i'd play with the MINI more.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Falcon-Z
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it confirms the S and JCW turbos are not the same. Running 21 psi even 15 psi is insane!

Old 06-27-2015, 12:08 PM
craigsix
3rd Gear
maybe he can fatten the afr and add more timing. more boost is good also. the jcw has lower compression so it can run higher boost levels i dont know about head gaskets or head bolt torque being different between the s and jcw. i can never have enough horspower or poontang! thanks

Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon-Z
I guess it confirms the S and JCW turbos are not the same. Running 21 psi even 15 psi is insane!
There are numerous folks running this psi on S models

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow - impressive numbers for stock even!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds all good for the JCW! Love the power it now has, particularly the passing power, course you can never have too much as long as you can put it down to the ground. Plus the fact that there may be a true refresh tune available sounds perfect. Only bad thing is that the web site seems to be down for bytetronik to look up any info there on their tune.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon-Z
It is the same turbo BTW. JCW gets a oil cooler that the S does not and few engine adjusts. I may go JCW for my next one but happy with my 260bhp S for now.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the baseline dyno, AFR trace, and the boost plot.

I'd like to see normal pump 91 and 93 octane tests. The fueling system components are not advertised for gasoline over E10, despite 1 or 2 people giving no mind to that.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jetmechinnc
Sounds all good for the JCW! Love the power it now has, particularly the passing power, course you can never have too much as long as you can put it down to the ground. Plus the fact that there may be a true refresh tune available sounds perfect. Only bad thing is that the web site seems to be down for bytetronik to look up any info there on their tune.
We are in the process of switching hosting companies, at the same time, a revamp of the current website as well. So stay tuned...

Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Thanks for the baseline dyno, AFR trace, and the boost plot.

I'd like to see normal pump 91 and 93 octane tests. The fueling system components are not advertised for gasoline over E10, despite 1 or 2 people giving no mind to that.
We'll be updating the testing results with pure 91 octane soon... With the JB units, it's cool that we can add a few gallons of E85 and the car totally wakes up.

While the ECU reflashing option will be available soon, but that will likely be reserved for Track cars only. For street and weekend racers, we'll have a full line of JB units finalized in the near future. If you're interested in becoming a Beta Tester for 93 Octanes, PM us and we'll go from there.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
We'll be updating the testing results with pure 91 octane soon... With the JB units, it's cool that we can add a few gallons of E85 and the car totally wakes up.
Just understand not everyone wants to find out the hard way that the HPFP might not tolerate high ethanol percentages.

Originally Posted by Bytetronik
While the ECU reflashing option will be available soon, but that will likely be reserved for Track cars only. ....
Why limit your market so severely? Or are you "just sayin" that as an emissions disclaimer?

Back to the data, it's becoming more common [in other engines] to see more of the full-load RPM band to be Stoich. In this case, the AFR has a curious 3-tier AFR: Stoich to around 2,600 RPM, then "14:1" for the mid-range, and then pretty much peak torque AFR from 4,500 to redline. Of course, this graph is from a tailpipe sniffer, likely a LSU 4.2 et al, with unknown calibration.

To the dyno operator: Please log the full RPM band, from 1k RPM to fuel cut. Remember the peak torque is advertised at 1,250 RPM, which was missed with these pulls.

Last edited by Ryephile; 07-06-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:03 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
While the ECU reflashing option will be available soon, but that will likely be reserved for Track cars only. For street and weekend racers, we'll have a full line of JB units finalized in the near future. If you're interested in becoming a Beta Tester for 93 Octanes, PM us and we'll go from there.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that to be a beta tester for just 93 octane petrol, you need to be on the west coast? I'm in North Carolina

Getting excited about this possible ECU upgrade to try it out at VIR raceway whenever it's done! Think my next track day will be in October with Phil Wicks.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Any more news on the software tune for the JCW by ByteTronik

Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
AFR is running very lean for forced induction. This is a quick way to kill the motor.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by toyopet
AFR is running very lean for forced induction. This is a quick way to kill the motor.
Generally speaking, that's untrue for current gen GDI's. OEM durability testing alone proves your opinion wrong.

FYI, some VAG TGDI engines run Stoich for 100% of operation. I recommend learning more about GDI engines before making a blanket statement likely rooted in old PFI engines that lack the chemical and mechanical quench to run at or near peak torque AFR.

Last edited by Ryephile; 07-23-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
I was referring to the AFR showing a leaner mixture at +5psi compared to stock which is not good in my opinion.

Also, OEM durability testing does not apply to engines running +5psi over stock using a tune or piggyback module. That's why warranties are voided if mfg finds out the ECU has been flashed.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I read on someone's R56 JCW post that he had the BMS device on the track, and has a boost guage in the car, and was getting 21-22. He was worried because evidently something can happen at >21 boost that shuts the car down???? It didn't do it to him though. He dialed the guage back a bit to avoid that he said.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by toyopet
I was referring to the AFR showing a leaner mixture at +5psi compared to stock which is not good in my opinion.

Also, OEM durability testing does not apply to engines running +5psi over stock using a tune or piggyback module. That's why warranties are voided if mfg finds out the ECU has been flashed.
You're misreading the graph. Since it's a Dynojet, a torquier pull means a shorter timespan, which will offset the AFR reading at the tailpipe in the time domain.

I assure you that your opinion or "lean", while perhaps applicable for PFI setups, is not directly correlative to what's happening in this example. This was a big problem with GDI's first came out, because all the aftermarket tuners were ignorant about the fueling strategy along with the technical details behind it. I'm afraid you're a bit behind the curve at this point.

Your assertion that OEM's only test at advertised power is inaccurate. Perhaps that's the case at your employer, but that's not applicable across the industry.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
To go a step further, AFR's are hardly a fixed map anymore. Many engines, for example, now do time based enrichment at full load to regulate catalyst temperature and/or provide long-term chemical cooling. It's a tiny part of the strategy, and chances are you'll only see it on the track or in a standing mile, as most shops don't have a DynaPack with a cooling tower.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 New JCW F56 Dyno