F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Bad air smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Craig Engel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my wife's MINI to Portland for the smell "fix" (1200 miles round trip). Car is an April 2014 build S. Work order description follows:
"Verified complaint, raised the vehicle, lowered exhaust down. Removed lower heat shield and inspected AC drains. Drains look good at this time. Removed old micro filter, inspected AC drain inside the vehicle underneath the evap. Box, AC drain is good.Performed AC evaporator cleaning with solution and then self flushed evaporator. Glued new micro filter and installed into evap. box.Reinstalled side dash trim covers and lower heat shield under vehicle. Raised exhaust system into place. All work done per M64 03 14."
So, looks like the same glued filter into place that Mrdi reports. The minty smell was gone by the time I returned home. Still cold in Montana but I did try the air and it was OK, I think.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:20 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still having Bad air smell. Since it gotten warmer in Louisiana it is getting bad again. This is getting old!!!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Mine was fixed using the most current fix ( replaced cabin filter, cleaning the system and raising the filter away from the evaporator water). Smelled minty fresh for a few weeks now smells normal. So far so good. No bad smell.

Since this issue has been documented it should be a covered repair even after the warranty expires (not that I'll be keeping the car after that anyway).

Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If they glue the filter in place what happens when you need to change it? Sounds like a screwy solution.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
If they glue the filter in place what happens when you need to change it? Sounds like a screwy solution.
My Guess:
The glue bead is used as the spacer that moves the filter off the floor
of the filter housing.
The hot bead dries before installing.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
That makes sense.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Magic Eye
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CooperB
And the problems continue. Opened the trunk/boot yesterday and found this...

No wonder my car smells so bad. Back to the dealer, again.
Have you noticed if the water has come back after the fix? I just dropped mine off at the dealership today for the same issue. I had my friend also check his 14 F56 and low and behold his is also soaked. So this seems to be a pretty prevalent issue across 2014 F56's. I had my ultraguage down there and it's complety ruined, and also I had a few papers and a box for my dash camera down there which were covered in mold. Definietly gonna see if I can get Mini to fork up the cash for a new ultragauge and for them to also replace the carpeting down there.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrdi
My Guess:
The glue bead is used as the spacer that moves the filter off the floor
of the filter housing.
The hot bead dries before installing.
That is exactly what they do. A couple beads of hot glue in an attempt to get the filter to sit up higher so that the water can drain out underneath it. It sounded to me like it was a stop gap measure for MINI to try and figure out a different filter box situation

Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Camyman
That is exactly what they do. A couple beads of hot glue in an attempt to get the filter to sit up higher so that the water can drain out underneath it. It sounded to me like it was a stop gap measure for MINI to try and figure out a different filter box situation
That is likely the case. Thinking it may be cheaper for them in the long run to engineer a plastic adapter that slides on the filter edge that provides the clearance needed. On future filter replacement, they simply swap the adapter to the new filter. But Hey, what do I know.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
That is likely the case. Thinking it may be cheaper for them in the long run to engineer a plastic adapter that slides on the filter edge that provides the clearance needed. On future filter replacement, they simply swap the adapter to the new filter. But Hey, what do I know.
I work at the dealership. I was actually a Service Advisor but it wasn't quite my cup of tea so I went into the BDC to work a sales/service role. If I see anything pop up about it I will keep everyone posted with my findings. I am interested in finding out if my F54 uses the same box that allows this to happen..... We will see.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
My air was adjusted at the dealer a month ago.
Now the interior smells like tooth paste.
Better than a well used junior high P.E. locker room.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Smell returned yesterday, second day after the second "fix" which was done in March. First time AC was used......I will call MINI again....I'm getting tired of this....this will be my third trip.....I was "promised" the last time it was fixed. Any other bulletins I should be aware of???
Thanks

Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
bad smell

Dan at Flow Mini in Winston Salem fixed my car and now there is no bad smell.

It was frustrating as I had to wait for parts and cleaner fluid. but he done a great job.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
We run our AC everyday we take the car out (SW Florida). No smell at all after the TSB fix. I'm wondering if the recurring issue some members are having isn't due to a dealership's service department's operator head-space error.

Hard to imagine a TSB being issued that resolves the problem and most guys having the work done once have no further issue, that it isn't a service department issue at some point.

Our dealership (MINI of Ft. Myers) service department is absolutely fantastic. Cannot say enough good things about the Svc manager and his crew. Guess I am blessed with my situation.

For those experiencing an un-rectified issue like this, perhaps taking the car to another dealership for the fix. Not the perfect solution, but may be the only way to get the work done properly.

A word of encouragement to those still having the problem. The fix does work.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:33 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
I am getting discouraged, since I asked the deakership if there has been any update since my second visit and was told no. Do you have any part#'s, service bulletin #'s, or any info that I will tell the dealership as to what has been done and worked? It seems like the more I deal with repairs, the more I fell Ineed to tell others how to do their job. I do not do this by choice, but by necessity to get things done right. The dealership is just going to do the same thing, and we already know that didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
bad smell

YIKES the Smell is back on start up I will have to go back and get them to sort it out!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is a similar kind of deal as with the rain sensor gel pack leaking from the windshield.

Well, maybe not the same, at least they attempted a repair for the bad smell. The rain sensor gel pack just keeps leaking on mine and I had mine replaced several times now.

I also got the bad smell fix (replaced evaporator, replaced air filter with beads of glue to make a little clearance) but I noticed the stink as soon as I was picking up my car. These days I just make sure to vent it without AC for a while before I park my car. If I start using the AC the stink will come back eventually.

Does anyone know where the air inlet is for the vent? I looked in front of the windshield and couldn't find any holes that sucks air in. I want to spray Lysol (or similar stuff) but couldn't find the hole. Then I was trying to spray it from the inside the cabin but I couldn't pull out the filter because it was so tightly stuck inside.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
my 2016 F55 is the shop tomorrow for the bad smelling AC at start up. The service writer mentioned she knew about the issue since she just received a notice on the issue. I will post up a TSB # if I can get it from her.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Hi-De-Ho
1st Gear
According to bbbind.com/free_tsb.html the TSB for the bad air smell is SI M64 02 14

Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yup the TSB number mentioned on my work order is M640214.

I will start the car tomorrow morning and see if the smell is gone.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
has anyone had thier issue fixed and not have it come back. mine just started to smell musty, i dont want to take it in if it is just going to be the same in a month

Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlantaorange
has anyone had thier issue fixed and not have it come back. mine just started to smell musty, i dont want to take it in if it is just going to be the same in a month
Yes. Had mine fixed about 10k miles ago and it never returned. Perfectly fixed.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 PM
JPRI
1st Gear
Just had the smell fixed in my 2015 F55. Sim 64 02 15 - cleaned evaporator (smells like spearmint), self flush, replace and raise micro filter with hot glue...fingers crossed!!!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
BowlInJar
2nd Gear
I just had the fix done on my 2016 F56. I was pretty annoyed that the car now smells like a dentist office (minty), but I feel a lot better that this seems to be normal/official. So much for the new car smell

Old 08-17-2016, 11:46 AM
handn
3rd Gear
F54, too

Great news! The F54 has the bad air smell issue, too.

Popped up after a string of unusually humid days. Strong vinegar-y smell.

After my SA opened a PuMA case, turns out the fix is the same as the F56/55 service bulletin.

As of Feb 2016 there's also a redesigned microfilter- 64-31-6-835-405. If the dealer looks up under service items, the old part number shows up. Searching for the part by VIN shows the new P/N.

Not sure why my car had the issue since it's an April 2016 build. I'd assume it would have the redesigned part. Regardless, hope it's a true fix as claimed.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Bad air smell