F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Speakers went nuts on my drive home!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speakers went nuts on my drive home!

When I was driving home I started having a loud static noise out of the passenger door speaker (H/K system). Was annoying, but bearable. Due for service, figured I'd have that looked at too.

About a minute later the driver side tweeter over the dash started in with a horribly loud static noise.

Adjusting the volume or shutting off the radio had no effect.

Stopped, turned off the car and it got louder, almost unbearably loud. Speaker in the driver's side door started popping. Passenger rear speaker joined in the static.

I was only a few miles from home. No other electronics seemed to be affected, or caused any change to the behavior.

By the time I got home the subs were thumping randomly too. I was thinking I was going to have to disconnect the battery.

About 2-3 minutes after I shut the car off it stopped. Started the car again and it was fine.

Not sure what that was, or if it's going to come back...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
Last week, my H/K system lost all capabilities of bass, weirdest thing, I tried adjusting the bass and nothing would happen, I would adjust all the other settings and they worked perfectly fine.

I tried turning the car on/off repeatedly and still nothing!

Called my SA, he told me to go over to the dealer, drove 30 minutes to the dealer and waited for him to be available, we get in the car together and he starts the car. EVERYTHING WAS TOTALLY FINE!!! I want to cry, I wasted an hour of my Friday and to top it off, my SA started laughing, but he apologised so it's all right.

I'm worried with the H/K system, a few people have had problems with it already, but for now I'm still gonna be jamming out until it goes!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You guys gotta problem with your cars. Stuff like that is frustrating because usually the dealer can't reproduce it, all they can do is the famed "reinstall the software" which IMO doesn't fix it most of the time. Hope it's a one time occurrence but it's probalby not.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:52 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Were you playing an I-pod (or other plug in)? I've had that happen when the connection from my car to my I-pod just needed to be re-seated.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Nope. Nothing into the AUX port.

I had forgotten about it until today, but I also had two warnings about my cornering lights. One night pulling into the garage it warned me about the left one. Never has again. A few nights later it warned me about the right one. Never has again.

I'm thinking I might have some electrical demons.

Was fine today, though...

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM
Star7
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisfowler99
When I was driving home I started having a loud static noise out of the passenger door speaker (H/K system). Was annoying, but bearable. Due for service, figured I'd have that looked at too. About a minute later the driver side tweeter over the dash started in with a horribly loud static noise. Adjusting the volume or shutting off the radio had no effect. Stopped, turned off the car and it got louder, almost unbearably loud. Speaker in the driver's side door started popping. Passenger rear speaker joined in the static. I was only a few miles from home. No other electronics seemed to be affected, or caused any change to the behavior. By the time I got home the subs were thumping randomly too. I was thinking I was going to have to disconnect the battery. About 2-3 minutes after I shut the car off it stopped. Started the car again and it was fine. Not sure what that was, or if it's going to come back...
I had this exact same issue with my 128i. Radio on/off, car ignition on/off...didn't matter. Continued until it decided it wanted to stop.Went to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue. Happened another time and I recorded it...
Took my car to a different BMW dealer and they heard of it happening, and the fix was to replace the radio.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
I didn't think about recording it. I will have to next time.