F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Feelin' no Love - no "Second Date" Contact

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:28 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feelin' no Love - no "Second Date" Contact

When I bought my 2015 mini cooper s on the 15th of January I was excited and, I must admit, a little overwhelmed. This car has more technology than any car that I have ever owned. As a result, I was very pleased to hear about a feature that mini offered called "second date". As I have been told, this offering helps owners go over the car after a few weeks of ownership to see if there are any questions or if the owner is actually familiar with and taking advantage of everything the car has to offer. There are a few things that I am learning that I just outright missed in the first few weeks. Anyway, does anyone know how long after purchase I should be contacted for the appointment. I've owned the car over a month and still have not heard anything. When I brought my new car in to have the navigation installed about a week after purchase, the salesman said that I would be contacted by email. I was also keen to hear that the dealer tops off your gas and gives some sort of goody bag at the time of the "second date". Any insight would be welcome on this issue. Not feelin' the love of a "second date". One last thing, should I contact corporate or the dealer if I do not get contacted. At this time, I am a little disappointed in the dealership. The car was not washed and vacuumed as promoted in dealer's literature after the navigation was installed and I got a filthy loaner car at that time. Have heard that dealers jump when they get a call from corporate. Any thoughts on this would be welcomed also.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:21 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems to me you should first ask the person who made the promise to you. As for service problems, I send an email to the service manager if the service advisor doesn't take care of it. I click on "about us" and then "our people" for email addresses on my dealer's website.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:44 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The dealers that do Second Dates will contact you at different times after purchase, depending on the dealer - I don't think there is a set rule. My dealer will contact within a few days after and then again after 30 days.

Which dealership did you buy from?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM
fatherfork
1st Gear
Just so no one repeats something already said, here's this post's counterpart on minif56.com: Feelin' no love on mini "second date" fail

Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fatherfork
Just so no one repeats something already said, here's this post's counterpart on minif56.com: Feelin' no love on mini "second date" fail
And on the alliance site I cannot link too...
No replies from the op...

Old 02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input. Second Date is a mini sponsored program. Info is listed on my dealer's website, it was not a promise, nor is the vacuum and car wash a promise. The vac and car wash is a dealership offering that is listed in literature from the dealership, promoted as a benefit extended to mini owners at every service. I did mention the failure to wash the car to my salesman and reiterated it in a mini dealer service survey. No reply to that complaint or an offer of a car wash voucher, etc. As mentioned in my initial post, I did ask my salesman about the second date at the time of my first service. Still have not heard over a month after purchase. Anyway, maybe I will follow up with the service manager before writing mini corporate.

Last edited by isleofbones; 02-22-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Just let them know you won't be recommending them to your friends and relatives. That should get them moving. If not then you've got a bad dealership.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
Our MA told use bring our F56 back in for the same "2nd date" I have no doubt the intentions were pure, but the the 2nd visit for us was due to the "transmission in the toilet" mishap, so we haven't done ours yet. They did do a superlative repair job, and our car was washed and clean upon pickup. I think you have a dealer with questionable integrity, and that is a real shame. It will be hard to get them to do what is right. IMHO, a good dealer is as important as the brand of car and much more important than making a good deal. I don't think I would even want a second date with your dealer. Good luck with corporate.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
This is the first time I ever saw the "second date" mentioned on NAM. Certainly I've never experienced it in the 2 Minis I've purchased via Mini N. Scottsdale. It's a good idea though. I still haven't figured out how to get my Android phone to play music via Mini Connected (I use an iPod). My MA did do it when I picked up the car, but I forgot how. Any tips are appreciated (I realize I have an R58 but the Mini Connected should be the same).

Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely must have done something wrong:

No "Second Date" and no Welcome goodie bag sent to me either. WTF?

(purchased July 2014)

Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I don't really want to hang out with salespeople more than I absolutely need to....

Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
It's a newer program and it seems like some dealers are better at it than others. My guess is the sales or service people would just rather not spend the time coordinating it.

MINI is rolling out a "MINI Genius" position whose job is to run those Second Dates as well as be a resource in the dealership, instead of the sales or service people. Both WA dealers have one, but I was told there are only about 10 others in the country.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
S Cal Cruiser
Neutral
Did our second date two weeks after delivery. Topped off gas and answered any questions we had.

No goodie bag.

This was Mini of Camarillo

Ed

Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 AM
TheUPSman
1st Gear
I bought my car in December. Just had my "second date" last weekend so roughly 2 months after purchase.

Oh also got a $25 +10% off voucher for anything in their little store as a gift.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:04 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
I always like to mention when dealers do the right thing, not just complain. Just received a call from my salesman today, and scheduled my second date. Told the salesman what areas (electronics and technology) that I would like to focus on. Anyway, happy to hear from the dealer. Have a few electronics questions I hope he can answer.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sal1k
I definitely must have done something wrong:

No "Second Date" and no Welcome goodie bag sent to me either. WTF?

(purchased July 2014)

Ordered in June, delivered in October after EPA hold - no goodie bag here either. Our dealer did a Second Date event as a group thing in February. Probably about 20 people attended.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Had my second date today. It was great. Got about 20 questions answered on a host of tech issues (ie the radio volume did not diminish when the nav voice announcements came on, usb questions, etc.). The salesman was very knowledgeable and was able to answer every question. As a bonus, the dealership topped off my fuel.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Second Date

Had mine yesterday. Great experience and was offered gas and a wash. Had a full tank and it was raining so I declined.

I love MINI of the Woodlands

Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never felt orphaned by my MAs on any of my three previous MINIs. The R53 I was sort of zoning out during the intro to car features etc and just focused on driving right out of the showroom. But I was a NAM hound already and knee more about the car than that original MA did. On my next two I just took a pass on a lot of the overview though with the R55 I did sit with the MA and go over electronics since they were much improved (integrated Bluetooth and iPod for one thing)... The R60 we just drove off. I think with the F56 I'll take the time to go through it with them as there's a lot to the car I didn't get to check out in last year's loaner.

The Second Date thing may be a new process and sure, I'll take gas and a wash... But even before this my MAs always wanted to spend time orientation me and making sure I was a customer armed with knowledge and support, even if I didn't take advantage of the resource.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:12 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
The free top off of gas was just an added bonus. The really welcome component of the second date program was that I received solid answers to over a dozen questions that came up during the first two months of mini ownership. Most of the questions centered around tech issues such as nav operation (radio volume did not diminish when nav voice came on with directions). Anyway, the appointment was great. Good info that will help me take advantage of all of the features that my car has to offer.