F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Always Remember Air ReCirculating
Add Digital Speed to SpeedoLCD Display via BC button
Disable Audible Chirp/Beep When Locking Car [so you can also enable?]
Enable Video Files from USB [which likely lets you use other codecs, like FLAC?]
Change Triple-Blink Count to another Value
Change Triple-Blink Count to another Value

What is this?
Enable WiFi Hot-Spot

It all sounds too good to be true.

Last edited by hammerhands; 11-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:06 PM
UticaProf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually did this a couple of months ago, or rather, watched someone remotely change the settings, then go back in and tinker some more. As long as you're careful, it's immensely gratifying. Some of the BMW settings work, and some don't. You have to have certain packages in order to have the actual equipment, obviously. I was on an ultimately unsuccessful mission to enable videos to play on my screen, but even though I failed I enjoyed changing other settings, and recommend it. I bought a cable from a guy at Ebay, who was remarkably helpful in obtaining token and software.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:24 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UticaProf
You have to have certain packages in order to have the actual equipment, obviously.
Spot on. You can't make your mirrors fold on lock if you don't have the power folding mirror option.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:54 PM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
Always Remember Air ReCirculating Add Digital Speed to SpeedoLCD Display via BC button Disable Audible Chirp/Beep When Locking Car [so you can also enable?] Enable Video Files from USB [which likely lets you use other codecs, like FLAC?] Change Triple-Blink Count to another Value Change Triple-Blink Count to another Value What is this? Enable WiFi Hot-Spot It all sounds too good to be true.
My air Recirc remembers its setting w/o coding.
My car also has the digital speedo. Is yours Canadian? I haven't looked for the chirp when locking, maybe need alarm for that?
I think in another thread we talked about my car playing FLAC w/o coding. I'm also able to play video from usb, maybe cus I have Nav XL?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is Canadian.

The recirculate turns off after 15 seconds.
I don't have the digital speedo because I didn't take a package with the on-board computer.
You may need the alarm for the chirp.
I have no Nav or anything, it doesn't play FLAC or video files. I think in some PDF it said you could activate it without Nav.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 AM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Mine is Canadian. The recirculate turns off after 15 seconds. I don't have the digital speedo because I didn't take a package with the on-board computer. You may need the alarm for the chirp. I have no Nav or anything, it doesn't play FLAC or video files. I think in some PDF it said you could activate it without Nav.
It will be interesting to see what can be coded in for you.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 AM
UticaProf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkBlue15MCS
It will be interesting to see what can be coded in for you.
Right, my understanding is that you need the alarm system for the audible locking sound, and I can say from my fruitless experiments that it's impossible to activate video unless you have the nav package. Which, alas, I don't.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Mine is Canadian.
I recall your previous thread about this. I don't think even coding will allow the speed to be displayed. If I recall your vehicle does not have the OBC? I'm going off memory here but if that is correct coding will not help as the feature is not there/on-board.

My cable arrives today or tomorrow so hopefully I will be doing some coding soon!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
i coded my car last night. i didn't do much as busy between work and a newborn but i did get over the hump and run a few codes. here's my quick breakdown of what i did.

- install esys 3.26
- download psdzdata 2.54 and copy all folders to c:\data\psdzdata

esys 3.26 comes with it's own install instructions including how to patch it and it also comes with its own token so you do NOT need to purchase a token (sorry to kill the business, but that's the fact)

the one thing i had to do before i loaded up esys was that i had to create an empty folder named "dist" within this folder:
C:\Data\psdzdata\mainseries\F056\F056_14_11_501\od x
this is required for when you run "connect" as nothing will show up unless DIST exists as an empty folder. i only did it to the F56 but if you have another model mini/bmw, just add the appropriate dist folder.

follow the instructions in the beginners guide coding pdf but one additional step is that when you click connect and it shows our car (code F56), make sure you also set connection to "VIA VIN". when does this way, it should load everything and then you follow the instructions.

i have successfully coded and tested the following:
- enable door lights when going in reverse

i have coded but not confirmed the following
- brake force lighting

these codes did NOT work for me
- roll windows/sunroof closed when locking car.

R33, i have a question. since i simply ordered the most basic radio, i have bluetooth phone only capabilities. this shows up as 6ND in my VO settings. the instructions specifically note that you can go from 6NH to 6NS to enable enhanced bluetooth. do you know if i can go from 6ND to 6NS? more importantly, any concern over doing this? i've confirmed this won't enable my voice activated module but it should enable A2DP audio over bluetooth.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:26 AM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo

these codes did NOT work for me
- roll windows/sunroof closed when locking car.
"the one thing i had to do before i loaded up esys was that i had to create an empty folder named "dist" within this folder:
this is required for when you run "connect" as nothing will show up unless DIST exists as an empty folder. i only did it to the F56 but if you have another model mini/bmw, just add the appropriate dist folder".

I'm using version 3.24.3 and didnt have to do this step.

Did you press and hold the lock button like you do when you unlock and roll the windows down? I have mine coded for this and it works well. You can also power fold mirrors if so equipped.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
"the one thing i had to do before i loaded up esys was that i had to create an empty folder named "dist" within this folder:
this is required for when you run "connect" as nothing will show up unless DIST exists as an empty folder. i only did it to the F56 but if you have another model mini/bmw, just add the appropriate dist folder".

I'm using version 3.24.3 and didnt have to do this step.

Did you press and hold the lock button like you do when you unlock and roll the windows down? I have mine coded for this and it works well. You can also power fold mirrors if so equipped.
it was drizzling so i never left the car. i was also in a rush to feed the baby so perhaps i skipped that part. i'll give it another go. from the docs, these are the codes:

Close windows, sunroof & mirror from key fob:
3056 -> KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB = aktiv 00 (Comfort Access ONLY)
3056 -> KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN  WERTE = 00 (Mirror Fold Delay = 0 sec delay)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN = aktiv (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)
3110 -> ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN = (werte=01)

i disregarded the first one as i do NOT have comfort access, but i did do the other 3. really, i should disregard the 2nd one as i didn't order that option. are you saying that you did NOT have the power fold option and it worked for you when you coded it?

keep in mind i didn't add many, if any, options to my purchase, so i'm not surprised some of these codes didn't work. i got one working so i did accomplish something.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:46 AM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
I have power fold mirrors. If you don't have them you CANNOT code it in

Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I have power fold mirrors. If you don't have them you CANNOT code it in
which i assumed/figured as much. but that should still allow me to close the windows and the sunroof, which is what had me scratching my head. maybe i didn't hold it long enough or i had to actually leave the car for it to work. no big deal.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:07 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm guessing this is like messing with the service menu on a Smart TV, which is known to void your warranty if anything goes wrong. Any dealer would be able to tell you changed stuff. If something goes wrong with the car and they find out I wouldn't want to be you lol. I'm not saying they would do it, just that they could do it.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
some more updates for those that try...some insight on others attempts will help

- increase angeleye brightness - unable to locate code
- fog lights on with welcome lights - unable to locate code
- turn on tail lights with DRL's - unable to locate code but know that someone else achieved this.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:34 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did enable doorlight on reverse help light up the surrounding? Does door handle light come on too? Or do you mean jist the interior light?

Another question I have is since it trys to use dhcp when connecting ethernet wire, can I plug it into my home network and assign a ip address and use my desktop to code? I think it'll actually be easier for me this way. Anybody tried this?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Did enable doorlight on reverse help light up the surrounding? Does door handle light come on too? Or do you mean jist the interior light? Another question I have is since it trys to use dhcp when connecting ethernet wire, can I plug it into my home network and assign a ip address and use my desktop to code? I think it'll actually be easier for me this way. Anybody tried this?
I don't know the answer to that but I understand the need. I drug my desktop out closer to the garage, my laptop is on the fritz.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'm guessing this is like messing with the service menu on a Smart TV, which is known to void your warranty if anything goes wrong. Any dealer would be able to tell you changed stuff. If something goes wrong with the car and they find out I wouldn't want to be you lol. I'm not saying they would do it, just that they could do it.
I doubt it would actually void the warranty. I've seen on the BMW coding forums people really mess up the coding and the car's features. One guy had it towed to a dealer. They just reload the factory software/coding and away you go. Worst case I've seen posted the dealer charged the guy that had the car towed .5 hours for labor at $120 per hour (cost him the tow and $60). Risk vs Reward.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 AM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CooperB
I doubt it would actually void the warranty. I've seen on the BMW coding forums people really mess up the coding and the car's features. One guy had it towed to a dealer. They just reload the factory software/coding and away you go. Worst case I've seen posted the dealer charged the guy that had the car towed .5 hours for labor at $120 per hour (cost him the tow and $60). Risk vs Reward.
I saved all the factory settings for this reason. You're not doing anything harmful, you're just enabling features for what ever reason are not enabled by default

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Another question I have is since it trys to use dhcp when connecting ethernet wire, can I plug it into my home network and assign a ip address and use my desktop to code? I think it'll actually be easier for me this way. Anybody tried this?
When you click connect, you have to select "connection via vin" as opposed to "connect via tcp/gateway/url" so i dont' believe it fully uses standard TCP/IP protocols.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I saved all the factory settings for this reason. You're not doing anything harmful, you're just enabling features for what ever reason are not enabled by default
Yeah that makes sense. It's not like messing with the ECU and a tune, which could damage the engine. That voids the warranty for sure. This is just messing with the lights for the most part.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you click connect, you have to select "connection via vin" as opposed to "connect via tcp/gateway/url" so i dont' believe it fully uses standard TCP/IP protocols.
I see. Thanks. I'm still waiting on my $5 ODB to Ethernet jack adapter shipped from China.

I wonder if I can disable AC automatically turning on when air is directed towards the windshield. (stupid lawmakers thinking everyone is an idiot in the U.S.) Is the coding mostly very cryptic and hard to recognize what does what?

Last edited by hp79; 12-02-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I see. Thanks. I'm still waiting on my $4 ODB to Ethernet jack adapter shipped from China.

I wonder if I can disable AC automatically turning on when air is directed towards the windshield. (stupid lawmakers thinking everyone is an idiot in the U.S.) Is the coding mostly very cryptic and hard to recognize what does what?
http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/ will show you all the known codes and what to set them to.

as for cryptic...once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite simple. keep in mind it's all LITERALLY in german, so the docx fill is really needed.
the codes are broken down into sections. in the .docx file you'll see that, for example,turning off seat belt reminder is:
ACSM
Turn Off Seat-Belt Reminder Chimes:
3000  SeatBeltReminder_Fahrer = nicht_aktiv
3000  SeatBeltReminder_Beifahrer = nicht_aktiv

so you go to ACSM, load up the CAFD file and edit it. when you open that up you'll see a list of numbers. look for 3000, open that up and you'll see a tons of more options. look for "SeatBeltReminder_Fahrer". open that up and you'll most likely see it set to "activ". edit and chose "nicht_aktiv" from the drop-down menu. save and apply and that's it.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
if you feel like doing the research yourself, then here it goes. mainly need 4 things:

- E-Sys (~65MB)
- psdzdata files (26GB)
- E-Sys token
- E-sys cable
Don't know why I'm have so much trouble finding a place to download the software above but I am. Any chance someone could either post or PM the DL locations for them - PLEASE?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Don't know why I'm have so much trouble finding a place to download the software above but I am. Any chance someone could either post or PM the DL locations for them - PLEASE?
PM for links.

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 12-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming