F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic

Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
JCW Shift **** and Boot for Automatic

We ordered our Justa with the JCW steering wheel which comes with red stitching. But the shift boot and **** do not match. Yes we could have picked the JCW interior package but we didn't want that. So I just figured I'd find the part and install it. Problem was that I couldn't find the part until Brandon at Sewell helped track it down. It was labeled as the 'sport shift' so it was not obvious what it was. So I ordered it and when it came in Brandon inspected it and it was the one I was looking for. I noticed they have updated their web site to make it more descriptive and now with color pictures which I assume is the one I now have.

JCW Shift ****/Boot with Red Stitching

I got the part today which would have been great timing since our 2015 was supposed to be delivered this week but of course will now be sitting at the VDC for the next 2 months. I was going to post some installation pics but instead I'll just post some pics of the part in case some of you are interested in getting it. It looks pretty straight forward. There is a connector for the illumination and the plastic shaft in the middle is connected to the button on the front of the ****.

And thanks Brandon for tracking it down.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5577.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5574.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5575.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
And this is a pic of the plastic shaft for the shift interlock

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5576.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 AM
becky1711
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be interested to know how the install goes - eventually. This thread talked about how that shifter was not available in non-sport transmission version, even with JCW interior package. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...loor-mats.html Person checked into it and was told it's only available with sport transmission with paddles, something about the wiring isn't compatible with the non-sport transmission.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2014 MCS auto with the JCW interior package. No paddles. The car showed up without the shifter above. I called up my dealer, he called up Mini NA, and they made it right. The dealer did the installation.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:52 AM
becky1711
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pennengr
I have a 2014 MCS auto with the JCW interior package. No paddles. The car showed up without the shifter above. I called up my dealer, he called up Mini NA, and they made it right. The dealer did the installation.
Wow, TheRocketPig needs to know this! TRP was told it can't be done. Thanks for the info. It seems no paddles=no sport shifter so it's good to know it can be done. Wonder why they aren't coming as advertised in configurator to begin with. (I have a car with JCW interior biding its time in Brunswick which is why I am particularly interested in this.)

Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
My car has this already. I do NOT have the JCW interior package but I DO have the JCW steering wheel with paddle shifters.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by becky1711
I will be interested to know how the install goes - eventually. This thread talked about how that shifter was not available in non-sport transmission version, even with JCW interior package. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...loor-mats.html Person checked into it and was told it's only available with sport transmission with paddles, something about the wiring isn't compatible with the non-sport transmission.
Thanks... I missed that comment. I'm not sure what the incompatibility could be. I think the only thing that connector does it light up the top of the shifter. Honestly I'm not really sure what the difference is between the normal auto and the sport auto. I guess I will find out when I take the default one off. Or maybe someone else does before our car arrives.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:39 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
The lettering on mine doesn't seem to light up (just fired it up in the garage). I'm good with that. The leather quality is much better, and I like the metal collar and the red accents.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Pennengr
The lettering on mine doesn't seem to light up (just fired it up in the garage). I'm good with that. The leather quality is much better, and I like the metal collar and the red accents.
hmmm.... that means they probably didn't mate the connector. It must not match up. But I bet they could have taken the old connector off the old shifter and swapped it onto the new one but that would have been a pain. I wonder what the difference is between the two? There must be some additional lettering on the JCW one that is not on the base?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Well it has been a LONG agonizing wait for our car. I bought this Sport Shifter thinking our car was just around the corner but as so many of you know, that was not the case. We finally got the car this Monday and today was the day to install the two mods that have been sitting on the living room floor for 2 months. This sports shifter and the black hatch grip piece.

Honestly I was expecting this to be a PITA. Some comments above seemed to indicate there was some incompatibility between the stock shifter and the sport shifter. This turned out not to be the case and they are pretty much plug an play. I was all ready to de-pin the connector and swap it onto the new shifter but the connectors are identical. In fact these are pretty identical except for the red stitching and the short metal shaft. Not sure why it has this shaft. Anyway, after 30 minutes the new shifter was on and the red stitching matches the JCW steering wheel (we didn't get the paddle shifters) and the red color line and my wife is very happy.

As you can see the shifters have the exact same display on the top. In reality both shifters are sport shifters as you can push it to the left for manual shifting, just one is call 'sport' since it looks sporty?? I don't know. They should have called it the JCW Shifter.

So here is how to do it.....

1) Remove the driving mode ring. It is easier than it looks, just use a firm grip and pull UP. There are three metal trim tabs holding it down. Don't pull too far because there is a connector attached to power the lights in the driving mode ring.

2) Remove the power connector to the driving mode ring. I turned the lights off for this so the ring was unpowered, but it is probably okay if you don't it is low voltage and shouldn't be a problem. The shifter was lit when I disconnected it. There is a release tab on the back. Depress it and pull it out. You can't see it from the front. I pulled too hard on this and broke the little tab on the bottom until I saw the hidden release tab. Doh. No problem though, it still locks in place.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5899.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5896.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5897.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5915.jpg  

Last edited by Rocket_man; 10-17-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
3) Remove the power connector to the LEDs on the shifter. It is on the left and has a release tab on the top and bottom. A screw driver will help unlock the tab. Just pull it out. The mating half of the connector is attached in place. Now the only thing holding the shifter in place is mechanical.

4) Now move the shifter so that it is pointing up. You need to put your foot on the brake and make sure the parking brake is on. I might have had it in Neutral, can't remember, you just want it pointing in the direction you are going to pull. Now you are going to pull very hard UP on the shifter. DO NOT TWIST. There is a plastic shaft that goes inside the shaft of the car's shifter and it has a channel, so if you twist it you may damage it. SO DON'T TWIST. Yes it takes some force to pull it off and there is no warning it is about to come up. So you need to pull hard but at the same time put your other hand on top so the shifter doesn't fly up and smack you in the face. I've heard of people doing this on other cars. It came up easier than I thought, but I was thinking it would be next to impossible. It will come up, and it will surprise you.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5900.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5901.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5904.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5906.jpg  

Last edited by Rocket_man; 10-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
5) Now remove the driving mode ring from the old shift boot. It is just a friction fit, just use a screw driver and pry up around the edge and it will come out. It is a snug fit.

6) Place the driving mode ring on the new shift boot. Be sure to align it properly. Again it is a friction fit. Push it down and seat it.

7) Place the new shifter on the car's shaft. The standard and sports shifter have a different look under the boot. I'm not sure why. I thought there was a piece I needed to take off the old one and move over but they just look different. No need to do anything. Just align the black plastic shaft with the channel on the car's shaft and push it down. You need to push it down with a little force to seat it. It will seat firmly and not come back up.

8) Insert the electrical connector. It is the same connector, same pin out. I tested this first before I removed the original shifter. They are identical.

9) Insert the driving mode ring power connector til it seats.

10) Push the driving mode ring down on the three tabs and receiving holes.

It was easier than I thought. The hardest part is getting the old one off. If I had to do this again it might take 15 minutes or less. It really pulls the interior colors together. We like it!

Oh and thanks again to Brandon at Sewell for tracking down this part. I think I was the first one to buy it. Now you know where to get it and how to install it so knock yourself out! (or DON'T when you pull the old one off! lol)

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5907.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5909.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5912.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5903.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5908.jpg  

JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5910.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5913.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5916.jpg   JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-img_5918.jpg  

Last edited by Rocket_man; 10-17-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:21 AM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Thanks, Rocket_man, for being the shifter guinea pig. I've emailed Brandon already this morning. I tried to order this a few weeks ago and he hesitated to sell it to me. I'm sure because there were no confirmed reports of it working. Hoping I can get before our club event, Minis in the Ozarks, this upcoming weekend.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zekemini#3
Thanks, Rocket_man, for being the shifter guinea pig. I've emailed Brandon already this morning. I tried to order this a few weeks ago and he hesitated to sell it to me. I'm sure because there were no confirmed reports of it working. Hoping I can get before our club event, Minis in the Ozarks, this upcoming weekend.
He told me if it didn't work he'd take it back. But now we know it is plug n play. But he had to order it in, it was not a stock item. Maybe they stock them now. Hopefully they can get it out to you in time. Like I said it doesn't take long. The hardest part is pulling the old one off. Somehow in doing that I nicked a piece of skin off the back of my hand. I still have no idea how I did that. It happened so fast I didn't even notice it til I saw a little blood. Not a big deal but be careful when you remove it, it pops off with no warning.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Thanks for this. I just pulled mine and my service department had forgotten to plug in a harness.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:36 AM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Glad your light works now, Pennengr. You guys just made my day. I didn't order the JCW steering wheel, it was a surprise, but I love it and the shifter stitching has bothered me ever since. Even if I don't get it by next weekend, I am beyond excited....it's the little things.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 PM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
NICE! I just ordered mine! Kinda stinks that Mini totally fed me BS... At least I got $250 in free random stuff! Nice to know I can count on a fellow Rocket! Congrats on finally getting your ride.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:04 AM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
Got the part. Thwacked my head. Looks great! Thanks Rocket_man!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheRocketPig
Got the part. Thwacked my head. Looks great! Thanks Rocket_man!
Ops! I warned you! Happy it worked out. It really makes the interior with the JCW steering wheel tie together.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok - how about the JCW manual shifter/boot? Is it available? My biggest regret is not getting the JCW steering wheel/shifter. That red stitching is so swag.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
There are a lot more options for the manual shifter. If you were looking to get the steering wheel swagged up a notch you can check out these guys...

http://redlinegoods.com/

You can buy the JCW steering wheel and disassemble and reassemble the one you have but you are looking at over $500 in parts alone and you'd have to disassemble a lot of the steering wheel.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Anyone happen to know how the actual boot is affixed to the other parts (specifically the chrome collar and the ring that fits into the mode ring?

I was going to replace mine with the JCW but $360 is pretty expensive (cheapest I could find). So I oped for a custom leather boot instead. It comes without any hardware, just the leather boot, so I'll have to use the existing hardware on my car now.

I've been searching the Internet for hours and have not found a picture that shows anything about how the leather boot is attached to the appropriate hardware (top chrome collar and the base ring which fits into the mode selector ring).

I have to bring my MCS (automatic transmission) to dealership to address a shift **** issue. The plastic insert on one side is loose and is on the verge of falling out. They will have to remove the **** to glue the plastic piece in place or order a new one (if it's a order, I will ask that they order me the JCW **** and I'll pay the difference in price), once the **** is off I want to swap out the leather boot.

Any insight as to how the boot is attached to the hardware would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic-custom-boot.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:52 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
That's sharp!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Banner28
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you happen to have the part number by chance?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Banner28
Do you happen to have the part number by chance?

I think this is the MINI Part #

http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/prod...319325508.html

USA-RET Responding to you PM. 61319325508

This is the JCW auto shifter: w/ red stitching

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61319325508/

Last edited by USA-RET; 05-06-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Shift Knob and Boot for Automatic