F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 issue - 2014 Mini Cooper dies during stops

Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM
drummerhc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brought my car in this morning, was told they can't really perform a repair if the problem is not reproducible. I mentioned about TSB but the service person didn't seem to care and told me the codes are different from dealer to dealer(really?).
The technician will probably do some test drive and look into it so I will see how it turns out ..........
My dealer is Mini of San Diego btw.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How far is the next dealer?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM
laj1211
1st Gear
I got my car back today....I'll let you know if this update did not fix the problem. But so far so good.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drummerhc
was told they can't really perform a repair if the problem is not reproducible. I mentioned about TSB but the service person didn't seem to care and told me the codes are different from dealer to dealer(really?).
I would never go back to that dealer again.
A customer takes time to bring in a car for the known problem and dealer doesn't want to do anything even after mentioning the TSB?!
You should have had a talk with their service manager, not just a service write up guy.
What did they mean by codes?

Originally Posted by hammerhands
Excellent suggestion.
And for your next MINI purchase as well.

Last edited by Chazman; 08-11-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 AM
CMP
1st Gear
Day three. No issues yet. But haven't driven it too much.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 AM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
Well, count me in for being affected by this issue. The other day I was leaving an airport parking garage and was coasting down a spiral ramp from floor 7-1. As soon as I cleared the spiral, the engine stalled, and I needed to put it in park to turn it back on. Nearly was rear ended by somebody behind me.

I'm going to contact my MA now, hopefully we can schedule something soon. Thanks all for bringing this issue to light, I was about to chalk it up to being a one time quirk.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM
drummerhc
Neutral
Originally Posted by Chazman

What did they mean by codes?
Sorry that was me actually. I was treating the TSB "SI MXX XX XX" as "codes".

I just got my car back. It was test drove by the technician for few miles but wasn't able to repeat the issue. Tech had a newer version of the engine software on hand and updating it was the only solution he could give me. I think the service clerk just doesn't have any clue what's going on . I was told the stalling was not a known issue, she also had no idea when or why they received this software update.

Then while I signed my invoice, I read the Engine Misc box it showed:
Software Update M 12 07 14
Perform Complete Software Update to Latest I Level F056-14-07-503

I said thank you then walked out. I will update in few weeks!

Originally Posted by hammerhands
It's about 20 miles away from my house. I may consider taking my car there next time!

Last edited by drummerhc; 08-09-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:37 AM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
Just took Benny in, they immediately knew what I was talking about. They said my car would take a couple days to update. Loaner car ahoy!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad it is getting fixed but a couple of days to update the computer is crazy.. DId you happen to check your milage before taken it in. They must plan to test drive it for a day to see if it happens again... or they have a lot full of cars to update..

Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Actual reflashing of ECU via connecting to OBD II port should take less than 5 minutes. When mine had to be reflashed for my Dodge, it was already done as I was walking out of the service dept door with the service paperwork.
MA taking it 2 days is ridiculous. Electons (reflashing!) are way faster than that!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 PM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
Drat! I didn't even think to check the mileage. Yeah, the lady at the service desk estimated a couple days. When I asked her specifically how long she said, "The ticket actually says something crazy like 700 days. I'm pretty sure it won't take that long." They lent me a R56S, so that's a fun change up, so I'm not super crushed.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheRocketPig
Drat! I didn't even think to check the mileage.
Why?
Typically TSB for ECU reflashing does not require a test driving by dealer.
Customer's complaint is solid enough reason to perform the reflash IMO.
This stalling issue is a well known problem to MINI. It's been so well known that they even came up with a new version of ECU software to download.
I don't think dealer will waste their time to test drive anyway. They get paid by MINI Corp for only a pre-set amount of time for this TSB warranty work. They would not spend extra time when they they paid the same either way test driving or not.
Also, a level headed dealer would reflash anywy even if they couldn't duplicate the issue soley based on customer's complaint.
Oh, the warranty invoice paper that you will get a copy of at the time of car pick up should have the mileage when it was checked in. That's one of the first thing they write down before starting to work on the car.

Last edited by Chazman; 08-12-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chazman
Why?
Typically TSB for ECU reflashing does not require a test driving by dealer.
Customer's complaint is solid enough reason to perform the reflash IMO.
This stalling issue is a well known problem to MINI. It's been so well known that they even came up with a new version of ECU software to download.
I don't think dealer will waste their time to test drive anyway. They get paid by MINI Corp for only a pre-set amount of time for this TSB warranty work. They would not spend extra time when they they paid the same either way test driving or not.
Also, a level headed dealer would reflash anywy even if they couldn't duplicate the issue soley based on customer's complaint.
Oh, the warranty invoice paper that you will get a copy of at the time of car pick up should have the mileage when it was checked in. That's one of the first thing they write down before starting to work on the car.
I think it was in response to the suggestion to check whether the dealer drives the vehicle, and for how far, to verify that the ECU flash actually resolved the problem.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 PM
TheRocketPig
1st Gear
Got my car back today. They put 5 miles on it. They were very open about it being a known problem and explained the issue in great detail.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:25 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
Toyota would have done a recall for ALL the concerned cars.This issue is not a carpet one but a dangerous one.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deovolens
Toyota would have done a recall for ALL the concerned cars.This issue is not a carpet one but a dangerous one.
Yes, that's what most of us would think but not what auto manufacturers and U.S. NHSTA would categorize as for this "stalling" issue. RECALL is for an immediate safety issue that has "directly" something to do with brake system, fuel leak/fire/explosion, steering loss, etc. Unfortunately engine stalling is considered just as performance/operational related issue and there will be no RECALL campaign which must be applied to "all" vehicles in certain affected VIN range. Instead this will be treated as a normal TSB which applies to only complaining/demanding customers.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me this afternoon. First while coming to a stop at a stop sign, then a red light.

Add me to the list of folks who have had this happen. I called my SA, and added it to the wiper nozzle fix, they moved my appt to a later date so I can be guaranteed a loaner. The SA wants to drive with me to try to reproduce it. I said good luck, this never happened before and I couldn't replicate it on the way home from work. I restarted the car and then and through much stop and go traffic it performed perfectly. Never did this before, 1300+ miles on the car now.

The SA mentioned that they are aware of the problem and MINI is investigating it. He did mention idle adjustment as being something they can do until there is a concrete fix.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Ford is doing a recall on Focus and Escape for a similar problem. Mini needs to man up and get a recall done before someone gets hurt!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...call/14132987/

Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 PM
JonCanada
2nd Gear
F56 dies at cold idle start-up

Can add my car to the list...
2014 F56 Cooper Manual
Issue:
- occurs on cold start up - idles a little high (as it should on a cold start) for a few seconds and then drops to a normal idle - but then dies. Managed to snag a video of it this morning, as I was taking it in to the dealer (video below)
- happens intermittently - twice in one week after a day sitting outside at work- and then twice yesterday in the morning after sitting outside overnight and today again outside-overnight before taking it into the dealer
- also tends to be a little low on power after a cold start, will be jerky and close to stalling in 1st gear - unless given a higher level of throttle input than I normally would. this issue is probably more common than the others - but I notice it less since I've gotten in the habit of giving it more throttle when cold
-I've turned off start-stop so this hasn't happened while I'm driving.. it was a little rough when I had it on - so decided to leave it off

Took it into the dealer today and they said they've experienced similar issues with other f56 cars - but usually the software update fixed it; however, some history on the car, I already had an update performed due to other drive-ability issues back in August. They checked the car and I have the latest software (at least from Mini/BMW Canada). So my dealer said they've opened a ticket with Mini Canada adding me the list of affected cars - and will let me know when they hear back. Picked up my car for now, as long as it doesn't start occurring more often I'm okay. Right now, it's only happening at idle after sitting for awhile - and only intermittently (although has happened the last two days in a row now). Will monitor and let you guys know..

couldn't find the engine software version in the menus.. could only find the infotainment software version. but my engine reprogram job description had a fix listed: "as per measure 58164604"

Has anybody experienced the same issue after the re-flash?

And is my video below - what you experienced before or after the new software?

Last edited by JonCanada; 06-19-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add youtube link
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
SmokeyD
Neutral
Mine is a manual and does this same stalling when the engine is cold. It only happens once or twice a week, but has the same symptoms. Stalls occasionally and hesitates on the first acceleration out of the drive way. After about 30 seconds, all is well. I took it in back in July and they said they could not find any issues, maybe they will have a fix now. I'll try it the next visit I make to the dealer.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:00 AM
JonCanada
2nd Gear
So after living with this issue for the past year, whenever the temperature drops to around 10 degrees celsius (50 F). My car was in the shop for a hole in the A/C condenser (caused by a rock), and I brought the dying at idle issue up again. It seems like since the condenser was on back-order, they decided to look a little closer at the idling issue. And low and be-hold, they found the valve-cover gasket was coming apart. Which caused a pressure leak in the engine. This is the 2nd gasket issue I've had with this 1.5L engine - first left oil on the driveway within a week of picking it up.

The service summary lists them replacing the valve cover gasket and high pressure fuel pump gasket.

Since replacing these gaskets - it hasn't died at idle, and the engine is a lot smoother after cold starts. Before, i would experience sudden jerkiness after cold starts - almost like a bad shift - with issues disappearing after the engine warmed up.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
caiken
2nd Gear
Very nice ending. Great that you came back to update for others that might have this issue.