F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 New MINI "drivetrain malfunction"

Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Acshaw80
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know my outcome. Updating the computer seems to have done the trick. I was told that they also adjusted the idle of the engine. I can no longer reproduce a stall as I had before. As a side note the efficiency of green mode was drastically improved. I was only able to get an additional 2 miles after a full tank preupdate, but yesterday I achieved that on just one 20 mile trip.

For other people experiencing this message but having it go away.... I was told that could be due to a spike of power coming from the battery causing a malfunction to occur.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Happened to me today. Car alarmed, brought up the red indicator and died right as I pulled into a parking spot. Talked to the dealer and they indicated as long as I had full power it should be a non issue, however it's alarming every time I start or stop the car.

Taking it in to the dealer on Friday to get it sorted out along w/ the weepy washers. Honestly kinda expected it sooner having one of the first off the boats here so not overly irked. 2800 miles in.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 AM
Girl from Oz
1st Gear
Happened to me last week too. My dealership have decided to replace the turbo coolant pump.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:23 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad those that were / are having this issue have a fix that the dealer could easily implement. I'm curious if this is an issue which is happening to a specific batch of cars, cars who weren't taken out of "transport" mode, or something else entirely. It doesn't seem to be occurring with a discernible pattern.

The worry-wort in me is wondering if and when my car will suffer from this issue. Is there a TSB on it?

Since for the majority of folks this is a software issue, I'd also be curious about the software version before / after the fix, if it actually changes number.

Still, lots of questions about this weird issue.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Damien has to stay overnight. A wheel something or other sensor had a pinched wire (that happened at the factory, or so they say). There was also two recalls on the car and then there's the weeping wiper issue.
Sure hope I have it back tomorrow. I don't think the Paceman I'm using is very fuel efficient. This automatic transmission doesn't seem to know what gear it should be in. It does have great A/C though.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Patriot!
There was also two recalls on the car and then there's the weeping wiper issue.
Can you please elaborate, if you can, on the two recalls you mentioned.. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Beebe
3rd Gear
My 'drivetrain malfunction' was fixed with an overnight stay at the dealer and they had to "special order" a part which caused most of the delay. The service manager kind of implied it was a faulty sensor. He made no mention of computer reprogramming.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:21 AM
junkart
2nd Gear
i got this the first night i drove home from the dealer, then 2-3 more times since. The car drove normally during, before, and after the warning screen. Took it in to get checked out and they said it was a glitch.

5K+ miles to the clock now.

Attached Thumbnails New MINI "drivetrain malfunction"-20140417_145453.jpg   New MINI "drivetrain malfunction"-20140404_090111.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM
junkart
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Beebe
My 'drivetrain malfunction' was fixed with an overnight stay at the dealer and they had to "special order" a part which caused most of the delay. The service manager kind of implied it was a faulty sensor. He made no mention of computer reprogramming.
Beebe, could you post scan of your work order? It'll help a lot when I (and the rest of us) try to address this to the dealer service. Block your personal info including your VIN if you want to.

TIA

Old 07-19-2014, 04:46 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Got mine back from the dealer today after it was in for diagnostics. they diagnosed it overnight and came up with Fault 20A503 for the turbocharger coolant pump. Per 12 04 14 the completed vehicle programming. Defect code 1761009900.

Afterwards ( 40+ miles driven) it seems to be getting much better MPG in green mode. We'll see over the next week.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Got my car back after three days. Right front speed sensor replaced.

C/R campaign 0012700300 Electric grease PN 83192295229 applied to starter terminals.

C/R campaign 0071990100 Replace wheel bolt wrench.

After three days of driving a Paceman S I was beginning to think I liked it except for the automatic transmission. Got over that notion pretty quick after realizing the Paceman cost me almost as much in fuel for those three days as Damien cost in two weeks.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
I would have gladly taken a Paceman over the Hyundai Elantra I got!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
I was hoping I would be lucky and not have this happen. NOPE. Today in the rain car decided to have its "drive train malfunction" freak out. Guess I am going to the dealership tonight.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by emilyanny4u
I was hoping I would be lucky and not have this happen. NOPE. Today in the rain car decided to have its "drive train malfunction" freak out. Guess I am going to the dealership tonight.
You need some green stripes on that car. GO PACKERS!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
HillmanMinx
1st Gear
Congratulations! Since I am planning on a similar move from VW - Golf TDI - to a F56, any additional impressions on your changing rides would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM
jpace2
Neutral
Drive Train Errors, Lurching and Delay in Part

I had the same drive train issue a few weeks into July, having driven my car since May 30. When brought to the dealer, I had the same campaigns/recalls:

Grease Starter Connection Terminals
Replace wheel- bolt wrench

I also had occassions when stopped at a light, the car would lurch forward. After software programming for job 5 (their words, not mine) the drive train error disappeared. I came to the dealer with a full tank of gas and after driving it down to a half tank, there didn't "observe" the lurching forward. The first day driving it after an overnight stay, my car lurched forward at the gas station (near the pump- ran up on it) and was damaged on the passenger right side. The run-flat tire was completely blown, and the front passenger side crushed basically.

The car was towed to Passport Collision Center on 8/28 and is still there. I'm told that the part that is needed (51777376870 - Right Side Fender Molding) that was originally going to be in after one week and then two is not available. I was literally told that one can't be found in the US or in Germany. So I have a new car that I cannot drive that I'm certain was the result of this and no idea as to when it can be repaired.

I tried MINI Customer Relations and I'm told to keep checking with the collision center. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this moving? I have the address for MINI of North America but don't expect much from a letter. Is a lawyer the only hope?

Oh, and that I can submit receipts for a rental for consideration of the BMW Group.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
SpartanVet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jpace2
I tried MINI Customer Relations and I'm told to keep checking with the collision center. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this moving?
Oh Boy sorry to hear all this. I've been waiting for the same part since 6/4 (after being hit by someone) and am still waiting! They had my car for a total of 2.5 months because the damaged quarter panel was backordered. I'm driving it but waiting for the backordered part. The only good thing is that it was 100% on the other driver and I just got my deductible back. Hang in there it's not easy.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:17 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I've been waiting for a Driver's (horn) airbag since May 1st. Can you imagine if it had deployed.... I probably wouldn't be able to drive my car.....
Interesting how they have the parts to make new cars but not to supply the existing fleet. Shows the hook you and leave you attitude. Must say though they threw a new transmission in mine within 3 weeks of ordering it. Go figure....

Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Interesting how they have the parts to make new cars but not to supply the existing fleet. Shows the hook you and leave you attitude...
That's very typical in automotive manufacturing industry (& maybe others as well). Current production's need is their highest priority, not supporting spare/service parts for already manufactured machines. I'm not saying that's right for owners. But I'm just saying...

Old 09-16-2014, 06:11 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
UPDATE:

Brought my MINI to the dealer last night. Had to drive 30 miles from Green Bay to Appleton and the car made it just fine with no further issues besides the check engine light on.

They gave me a 2014 ALL4 countryman as a loaner. What a boring car. My husband seems to like it though. I told him to drive the thing. hahaha.

They have been really professional and kind and MINI of the valley they stayed open late to take my car in and get me the loaner. They told me that it is most likely a software issue but will not know for sure till the service guys look at it today. Hopefully (crosses fingers) I can get it back today or tomorrow.

PS: They are going to clean my car, change my air filter (musty smell in my cabin) and I got some additional free swag. Seems like all will turn out well after all.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Glad to know MINI hasn't changed their quality much. Such a shame...

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theunclesam
Glad to know MINI hasn't changed their quality much. Such a shame...
That's a very insightful comment for new MC owners!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
kellmark
1st Gear
While I hope that all of the owners of the F56 model will be happy with their cars, and I myself like the F56 Justa, (but still own an R56S), when reading this it seems to me that the car was rushed to market with a lot of technology that wasn't properly tested. I have always thought that the F56 was over-engineered with too much unnecessary complexity.

How it is acceptable to eliminate something as essential as an oil dip stick for a virtual one, is beyond me. Or have to have something like a "drivetrain malfunction" warning. That is not a sign of basic good design choices and has to leave owners questioning whether the car can be relied upon for even basic transportation. And it is not cheap by any means.

I still have an old 1996 Saturn I bought new that now has 222,000 miles on it and it has never left me stranded. Ever. And I drive it every day and it still does not burn oil. I check it with a very interesting device. A dip stick.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Chazman
That's a very insightful comment for new MC owners!
I wish I could have said better, but let's face it: These cars are almost junk. If they weren't so fun to drive, they wouldn't be selling. I had to get rid of my R56 after just 62k miles. Problem after problem and then one day I get told I'll have to pay $3500 to fix an issue they fixed under warranty already.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
I wish I could have said better,
These cars are almost junk.
Doesn't sound much better?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 New MINI "drivetrain malfunction"