F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Bluetooth Audio Streaming Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:26 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Bluetooth Audio Streaming Question

I have a ton of music loaded on my I-phone 6S which I stream using the Bluetooth pairing. The center display shows the details of the tunes/artist that is playing. Intermittently, it shows the Album Art on screen for the current track. I would like the album art to show whenever I'm streaming music. I've checked the settings, but there aren't any obvious defaults or check boxes that I can find. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:50 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't really tried BT streaming yet but based on my other cars, BT album art is not supported at all or not fully supported. I would recommend checking if certain songs or albums are consistently displayed and noting their album art format and apply it to other albums. If album art is just randomly displayed, it's probably not fully supported.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:10 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tmehanna
Haven't really tried BT streaming yet but based on my other cars, BT album art is not supported at all or not fully supported. I would recommend checking if certain songs or albums are consistently displayed and noting their album art format and apply it to other albums. If album art is just randomly displayed, it's probably not fully supported.
I tag all of my music using the same software. The album art is all j-pegs. I'll keep tabs on what artists seem to show and recheck the tagging. Thanks TMEHANNA

Old 12-06-2016, 03:58 PM
MrMaxi
1st Gear
Bluetooth doesn't stream album art. You would need a wired USB connection (with dongles) to get that to work. That's where CarPlay and Android Auto come in to place.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrMaxi
Bluetooth doesn't stream album art. You would need a wired USB connection (with dongles) to get that to work. That's where CarPlay and Android Auto come in to place.
Maybe one day Mini will include it in an update.....LOL.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 PM
MrMaxi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gearhead60
Maybe one day Mini will include it in an update.....LOL.
I hope they can find a way to integrate it.. CarPlay and Android Auto need a touch screen where both 6.5” and 8.8” displays are not..

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Well, someone just took delivery of their Clubman and it came with a touchscreen. I must have missed it by a few days. Mine was built September 20.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:24 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Well, someone just took delivery of their Clubman and it came with a touchscreen. I must have missed it by a few days. Mine was built September 20.
I think you would need to have ordered the technology package with 8" screen to get the touch screen. I did not. I just took delivery of mine and it does not have touch screen, only 6" screen. While a touch screen would be nice, it's not a deal breaker.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
I think you would need to have ordered the technology package with 8" screen to get the touch screen. I did not. .
I did

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
I did
Damn sorry to hear you didn't get it....

Old 12-09-2016, 12:48 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Does for me... Though not with every app. Apple Music seems to work pretty consistently.

2015 F55, iPhone 7+, Connected XL

Old 12-10-2016, 05:15 PM
vizcat
1st Gear
Same here.

I think you would need to have ordered the technology package with 8" screen to get the touch screen. I did not. I just took delivery of mine and it does not have touch screen, only 6" screen. While a touch screen would be nice, it's not a deal breaker.
My Clubbie was built on 9/21.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I hope they can find a way to integrate it.. CarPlay and Android Auto need a touch screen where both 6.5” and 8.8” displays are not..
Not completely true - CarPlay does not need a touchscreen to work, but new hardware will be required. BMW/MINIs implementation of CarPlay will work wirelessly via a BT/WiFi connection and will NOT be backwards compatible. I believe CarPlay will be implemented for the 2018MY.

I did
The Clubman and the new F60 Countryman with the 8.8" navigation will have the touchscreen and the new version of iDrive/MINI Connected starting with November production for the Clubman and from the start of production for the F60. If your car was manufactured before then, you're SOL.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I have a ton of music loaded on my I-phone 6S which I stream using the Bluetooth pairing. The center display shows the details of the tunes/artist that is playing. Intermittently, it shows the Album Art on screen for the current track. I would like the album art to show whenever I'm streaming music. I've checked the settings, but there aren't any obvious defaults or check boxes that I can find. Anyone have any experience with this?
I assume you store your music collection in iTunes. If so consider acquiring an old beater iPod (mine's from 2004) and just putting all your car music on that. All my album art shows no matter where I got the music (I get most of it more or less free with a lifetime pass to a foreign paid download site). And you can use whatever EQ setting on the iPod. Just make sure you connect to the docking port (not headphone jack) of the iPod. And your car keeps the iPod charged all the time. Works great for me. You can probably get one for next to nothing on Ebay now that people have so much music on their phones.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:09 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I assume you store your music collection in iTunes. If so consider acquiring an old beater iPod (mine's from 2004) and just putting all your car music on that. All my album art shows no matter where I got the music (I get most of it more or less free with a lifetime pass to a foreign paid download site). And you can use whatever EQ setting on the iPod. Just make sure you connect to the docking port (not headphone jack) of the iPod. And your car keeps the iPod charged all the time. Works great for me. You can probably get one for next to nothing on Ebay now that people have so much music on their phones.
Actually I store all my music as MP3s on my home computer. I then load what I want to listen to at that time. It wouldn't all fit on an I-Pod or I-Phone. I typically listen on an original Touch (16gb) at work and on my I-Phone through the Bluetooth in the Clubby. If I run through the USB hookup it will show the Album Art, but not if I run it through the Bluetooth. I really don't want to wire my I-Phone constantly to the car, so I'll live with no album art for now....

Old 12-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
I can not even connect my iPhone 7plus. Your having high class problems with your album art! I have bluetooth navy, media package on my 2014 Mini Countryman. I saw I can download an update but on my mac it shows up as a .bin? Do I just drop that .bin on a usb stick and put it in my mini USB jack?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chad Morin
I can not even connect my iPhone 7plus. Your having high class problems with your album art! I have bluetooth navy, media package on my 2014 Mini Countryman. I saw I can download an update but on my mac it shows up as a .bin? Do I just drop that .bin on a usb stick and put it in my mini USB jack?
Yep. Make sure it's formatted in FAT32, plug it into the MINI and then go to SETTINGS on your headunit, then SOFTWARE UPDATE.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
I did all that was said to do and the software update took, I still can't get the iPhone 7 Plus connected via bluetooth. I have a MOWPOW but that does the same as using a headphone jack. Any other people hear have a iPhone 7 successfully paired to your media package?

Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chad Morin
I did all that was said to do and the software update took, I still can't get the iPhone 7 Plus connected via bluetooth. I have a MOWPOW but that does the same as using a headphone jack. Any other people hear have a iPhone 7 successfully paired to your media package?
You've probably already done this, but just to make sure:
Make sure you're starting from scratch when trying to pair. The MINI should be listed as "Not Paired" on your iPhone and your iPhone should not be on your Bluetooth Devices list on your MINI before you pair.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:46 AM
RhoniT
1st Gear
Actually I store all my music as MP3s on my home computer. I then load what I want to listen to at that time. It wouldn't all fit on an I-Pod or I-Phone. I typically listen on an original Touch (16gb) at work and on my I-Phone through the Bluetooth in the Clubby. If I run through the USB hookup it will show the Album Art, but not if I run it through the Bluetooth. I really don't want to wire my I-Phone constantly to the car, so I'll live with no album art for now....

gearhead60 from what you wrote here; here is what I have experienced, similar issue. I have album art on my display for some songs and not others. And not for others??

I realized that 'some' of the albums I did NOT have art for were older CD's that would probably have not had the MP3 art available on them, or when I downloaded them, it didn't fully transfer all because of something in my settings (21 y/o son figured that one out for me-still don't have a clue), so therefore got music and title but zero visual.

I have an issue with mine pairing with the my phone sometimes, I have an iPhone 6S. Sometimes it pairs just fine and other times I have to push play from my iTunes acct on my phone. I have decided because I live between BFE and ten-buck-two, that my issue there might be service. But I always get the music going before I even pull out of my garage, where I still have wifi service.

This is why I have ask the question about setting the profile on the ConnectedXL, from what the Mini Geek told me, I should be able to load my music on to a thumb drive and set it to my profile. Then my music will all be there! YAY!! ... NOT!! I can not get this to work. Maybe I need to get the 21 y/o home from college for more then an hour at a time?!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
RhoniT, I don't use the ITunes on the phone, but an app called TapTunes to play my music on the I-phone. Perhaps it's because of this app my art doesn't show? Nonetheless, It does show if I plug in directly by the USB. Problem is, I don't want to always be hooking up and always charging phone as it affects battery life over time. As far as the Art not being compatible, I don't think that's the issue. I run all my music through tagging software which attaches the art and makes sure each track is ID'd correctly. The art is always a JPG file and always shows on the phone or other apps I use. Good Luck getting things to work out for you.....