European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Roof chop mini

Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM
rkde
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Today has been more about the pipework, I cut off the bottom pipe and changed it to go in the top to try and keep all the heat at the top of the cooler, I then made all the pipework for the riser to the plenum. I really like the way that after removing the front end the rad and cooler all come off together so easily. I do however need to find a better way of release the pipe from the blower as that is quite a trick. at the moment you need to slide the silicone over the pipe and that allows the front to come off. This isn't ideal so I need a quick release system though I probably can just do that each time I want to remove it...

Pipe work taped into place while I worked with the angles

Mostly welded up now, I can now spend the evening finishing and bracing all the pipes and front member. There is a lot of welding needed and I really do not like alloy welding any more :( I find the heat off aluminium cooks me and even with a TIG finger this work is too hot

Old 09-29-2014, 12:13 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
will the radiator not heat up / get additional heat on your IC pipe?
wrap it in header wrap maybe?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 AM
rkde
2nd Gear
Thank you for pointing that out, I will lag the pipe though I think there will be more heat from the blower than the radiator...

All the braces added and last plates welded in. The crash intercooler is now hanging about being painted

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM
rkde
2nd Gear
Also today I added a port to the plenum, pleased with how its all come out. now to sit down and order any missing parts

Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
hehe, crash intercooler, that's funny. Still amazing, love to watch this. Roof chop mini and isoble are my fave build threads by far. totally rocks!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
Decided that the way in which I had done the roof lining before was not the best so with that in mind I set about marking up a lining

Then with all the parts cut up I installed them ready to cut the missing parts. Lets see how that goes...

Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
Orranje GP style panels cut to fit the cage then carpeted to suite the rear delete going in.

Segments of the roof liner cut and pushed together, they fit really well and held up without any glue or tape. Still have to take it all down and glue it all together. Also as the roof liner is a grp construction I will grp bond the back to make it more rigid.

The rear looks like its going to be interesting...

Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 AM
rkde
2nd Gear
roof lining all bonded together with GRP on the rear. Its taken the whole day but I am very pleased with it. Just have to wait for the new headlining material to turn up so it can be trimmed. To make the install easier I have left the head liner in two sections which will have the finial bond in the car

Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM
jaCARR
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I have got to start looking more into these build threads. What an amazing 8 pages of progress!!! You, sir, are very VERY talented. If you could hear me I would fire up a large round of applause for your efforts! It's almost together!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:47 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
Cheers, comments like that really help to keep me going! appreciated

Today, looking like a mini and over the next few weeks I think its going to come together quickly and I am very pleased. Even a nice place to sit

Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkde
Cheers, comments like that really help to keep me going! appreciated
Well if that's all it takes... I am still in awe and love dropping into this thread to see your progress. You are doing things I could only dream about (in fact I fantasized -- and photoshopped -- a similar treatment to a PT Cruiser, which was as close as I'll ever get). Cannot wait to see these final steps.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
It is... it helps so much when I am down about the car and not caring. Cheers for the comments too

today...

Rear panels went in today, finally got about to making the LH side rear panel and covered it in carpet. Same as the RH side.

Wish I had installed the boot panel before this photo but the rear is very close to being completed. Hoping that this week the material will arrive for the headlining and the pillars

I am pleased with the turn out of the interior and I am realising that I will soon have nothing left to do on the inside which will only leave a few parts remaining on the engine and to bond the windscreen in.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
luckymini28
2nd Gear

I'm going to add my fuel to your fire also. I've been reading for months now but felt obligated to encourage you along for a job very well done. Can't wait to see the final product! Thanks so much for sharing your journey.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Still your most loyal fan here, Rich. Happy 2015!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Looking at the great way you modded the headliner, ...I am wondering, it doesn't look like you pealed the fabric off it first....

I used fiberglass resin to stiffen mine up the corners and edges when I recovered it...

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of photos...

Motor on!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:51 AM
rkde
2nd Gear
I added resin over the oem foam and fabric which turns it still, no point removing it. I have never removed it before and never had any issues even if I have in the past just glued over. The correct glue really makes the difference

I managed to get most of the roof lining done today and I am pleased with how its all going. I did the front half out the car and had to do the rear in the car. The glue I used was nasty but did a great job.

Decided that it was too dark in the car and I went and found a roof light, painted it and the clock then cut the lining to install the light. Clock clipped in as it should

Alarm module went in too

A pillars have turned out great, really pleased with them

Just have to finish the edges at the rear but the glue has taken it's toll and I have had enough

Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
Rear delete kit required...

Got some 6mm ply wood as it was the lightest I could find and I am partly past caring for weight so much at this moment. So I made a paper template, cut 3 sections of ply wood

I then used some aluminium brackets bent at 135 degrees to sort the front section and then some hinges in the middle, the sections were then trimmed in carpet

The back was then trimmed in black ultra suede to cover the inside plywood. I then coloured the staples in after the photo

I then installed the cover, was a pain to get it past the roll cage but after a few attempts I found how to install it but it was tight. Even the lid only opens till it hits the roll cage, not bother as I am not sure I will use the storage for much anyway

Now I need to make a boot carpet as the one I have is a little tatty having spent loads of time in the garage and being 13 years old. Then time to finish the pillars and time for a big clean inside, drivers seat and steering wheel - probably loads more too

Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Very, very, very cool, and then some. Just awesome!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Starting to take on a very finish look in there! Very nice

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
rkde
2nd Gear
Today I cleared out my garage and turned the car around so I can work on the engine when I get home from work each evening. Almost killed me having to push the car around on the drive with no power assist or an engine running. Did it on my own and while resting I took some photos from another angle than normal

Then some of the interior

With the car in the garage I got it up in the air and fitted the power steering pump can't remember it being so loud... need to listen to another mini and key position 2

Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember my R53's p/s pump was atrociously loud. That was one thing I really liked when I switched over to my R56.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i keep staring at the headliner every time you put a picture of it up. So rad.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:08 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have read this thread from the beginning, I am so very impressed with your ability to re configure/mold and manipulate materials. This is a gift not many people have! The fact is you have an astounding amount of intellect that allows you to see something and change it at will. Creative Genius is the only way to describe your ability. I am completely in awe of this entire project, kudos to you sir.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been on site for a good long time but got an email update about this thread. I'm glad. That is an awesome Mini you're building!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof chop mini