Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Vin Not appearing in new Tach after WinKPF update

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vin Not appearing in new Tach after WinKPF update

I have a 2009 justa.. the Parking Brake light led was blinking..

1. Checked the plug and interior ribbon cable.. ok.

2. I then replaced it (used 2013 Justa) and ran ISTA/P and it wouldn't update it.. (not surprised, used part)

3. Next, I tried WinKPF and added the 2009's VIN, it updated and the UIF in INPA and WinKPF reflect the updated VIN

The Old VIN still shows in the Tach when going through SET/INFO

Two day no change (after dreaming)

What am I missing?

----
INPA v5.0.6
ISTA/P 3.56.3
WinKPF v5.3.1 (SP_Daten_V59)
NCS-Expert v4.0.1 (SP_Daten_V59)

Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
You want to be extra careful with kombi modules when used from another car. You may end up accidentally changing your mileage to the highest valve of the two. Did you try ncs to program it?
Did you try to reset your old one?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Thanks for the quick response MiniToBe
The old one has a physical failure.. fortunately the mileage is very close..
I tried WinKPF and checked the UIF in INPA and WinKPF, both show that the VIN updated.. The Old VIN still shows in the Tach when going through SET/INFO

Not sure how to change the Vin with NCS.. do you have a step by step?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:43 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I am not sure how to do that. You could do an SG-reset through NCS, you could also try to execute the command where FA or FG is part of. I dont know these on top of my head. Lastly, I dont know if it happened to me, but when you select kombi and do sgdaten-lesen, you can open that using NCS dummy. ready through the function and i think towards the end there is a checksum option. I dont know what that means, but i think when i selected that and coded the module, the mileage changed. i did not check if the vin changed or not because at that point i had a maaaaaajor problem...my mileage went from 2700 to 39000

Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
I haven't tried the checksum option.. I'll see if I can find some info for using NCS to change the VIN.. so far nothing found.
I'll check the EDIABAS version as well.. I've read elsewhere that it can cause update issues.

Cheers

Last edited by justawatcher; 10-06-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarification, spelling ;)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:16 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
I checked the EDIABAS version is current
figured something additional out... I'd configured WinKPF with older datens and data files.. I've now matched them and the VO updated (another project I'm working on).

Noted: it never gave error and shown process ok but didn't actually change the VO. live and learn

Tach VIN never updated.. but it updated with current datens
hmmm

Old 10-11-2016, 03:00 PM
willgar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think you could rewrite the vin in the instrument cluster, I thought the chip was permanently programmed. Maybe try giving a North Hollywood Speedometer a call. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
My best guess as well.. it updated and is fully integrated as far as ISTA/P is concerned.
The mileage jumped a few thousand miles to the higher number to match my car's mileage. (was expected)
it's all good. if I find some new info I'll update this thread.

Best

Old 10-13-2016, 07:53 PM
willgar
2nd Gear
Did you just use INPA/p to program it?

Originally Posted by justawatcher
I checked the EDIABAS version is current Noted: it never gave error and shown process ok but didn't actually change the VO. live and learn
Make sure you use a NCS profile with manipulation enabled if you still have this problem.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM
claw
1st Gear
My best guess as well.. it updated and is fully integrated as far as ISTA/P is concerned.
The mileage jumped a few thousand miles to the higher number to match my car's mileage. (was expected)
it's all good. if I find some new info I'll update this thread.

Best
Hi Justawatcher!
Just to be sure i understood clearly: You changed VIN on a used tach (not speedo, right?) just using WinKPF?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
yes, I used WinKPF and checked the UIF in INPA and WinKPF, both show that the VIN updated.. but the Old VIN still shows in the Tach (normal user access) when going through SET/INFO..
My guess is that they have two vin registries, one for factory/firmware and one for ID purposes.
Two different chips serving different purposes.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
It should be noted that the mileage discrepancy dot appeared on the new tack... so I just put the old one back in.. no biggie

Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Timmytron
1st Gear
Next, I tried WinKPF and added the 2009's VIN, it updated and the UIF in INPA and WinKPF reflect the updated VIN

How did you do this? I have been trying for days with no luck! Other forums said to find the seed_key job, but I don't see it.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:47 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Any time you use WinKPF you have to enter a VIN.. but notice that I had no luck in using the Tach (kombi) because it has two VIN addresses. One for programming and one for VIN (<- the one I couldn't mod)

Originally Posted by Timmytron
How did you do this? I have been trying for days with no luck! Other forums said to find the seed_key job, but I don't see it.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Timmytron
1st Gear
Any time you use WinKPF you have to enter a VIN.. but notice that I had no luck in using the Tach (kombi) because it has two VIN addresses. One for programming and one for VIN (<- the one I couldn't mod)
I don't care about the tach showing correctly, I just want it to be correct in the UIF readout. My car won't start because the VIN is wrong. What job do I use to change it? I've seen a few tutorials that said to do the seed_key job, but I don't see that job available in my ECU... :(

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
instrument cluster has nothing to do with starting the car. I have those disconnected and i can still start the car fine.

you have another issue in the alignment between the DME and CAS. it is almost hard if any to get it aligned through the software we have.