Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Put LED Headlights on my Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 PM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Put LED Headlights on my Mini Cooper S

I put these headlights on my Mini about a month ago and finally got around to posting pictures.

I got these on Amazon as my new found part-time job of reviewing products in return for a discount and I actually like them. I got the H13's which cover the high / low beam.

They look really good on the car, color temp is 6500k which is perfect without being blue.

Nice flat beam pattern.

My driveway isn't level hence why they look slanted.

Super easy to install since you know, they are headlights... however, instead of just bulbs like OEM, they include another box which I stuffed inside the housing.

Basically the wiring goes OEM Harness > Resistor > LED Box > Bulb

With all this there is just too much wiring and heat generated to put the headlight back cover back on. These are supposedly waterproof so moisture shouldn't be a problem. Used some wire ties to hold things in place and clean up wiring under hood.

They did throw a canbus bulb out error which was corrected with a 50ohm resistor. I still get some flickering on start up if my lights aren't in the "on" position, but I generally keep them there so I don't notice them. Seller was cool in alerting me I would have a canbus problem and sending me the resistors free of charge, which appear to be some generic ones seen from various amazon sellers.

Specs: Copied from the Amazon - Noctrnl design LED lights

• Each LED Headlight bulb is rated to 3000 lumens, for over 6000 lumens of light total. CREE XHP50 LED Bulbs feature a spherical optical lens and anti-glare body to emit a natural light beam pattern at 6500k.
  • The LED Headlights Bulb is 360-degree adjustable to angle the LED bulb for maximum light spread while keeping the light beam pointed straight and low. The base is designed for Plug & Play installation and compatible with stock headlights.
  • Carved from solid 6063 aluminum for maximum heat dissipation, corrosion resistance and shock & vibration resistance. An active cooling system keeps the LED bulbs cool with an integrated fan.
  • Rated to IP-65 and tested to over 50,000 hours, NOCTRNL Design LED Headlights use name brand components from CREE LED, LDO, & Texas Instruments and produce more light to let you see further.
  • Upgrade your stock headlights with NOCTRNL Design and get hassle-free support, and a 2-year warranty from knowledgeable car, truck & SUV enthusiasts.
If anyone knows how to correct the flickering, I'm all ears. It doesn't bother me but would be nice without it. I read that it's the electrical system testing to make sure the lights aren't burnt out at start up.

I was thinking of selling my Mini but these gave me a little more life. Next stop, changing the rest of the lights to LED and doing a walnut shell blasting. Stay tuned.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can code out the bulb checks with NCSExpert. Both hot, when they are on, and cold, when they are off.

Should sort flickers. I have all led blinkers on my R53 and turning off hot bulb check makes then flash at the normal rate instead of hyperflashing.

James

Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can also code out the flicker with Carly for BMW Phone app with WiFi dongle.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Anakist
You can code out the bulb checks with NCSExpert. Both hot, when they are on, and cold, when they are off.

Should sort flickers. I have all led blinkers on my R53 and turning off hot bulb check makes then flash at the normal rate instead of hyperflashing.

I assume with NCSExpert I can cancel the bub check to the headlights as well? If so, where do I get this and how much is it? I'm new to tuning the Mini, but I have experience with VAGComm from VW/Audi.

James
James,

These aren't turn signals- they are the headlights that flicker. I thought hyper flash was on turn signals. They only flicker for about 5-10 seconds when the car comes on and the lights switch is set to off...I'm assuming that means cold? When the light switch is set to on and I turn on the car, no flicker.

If I can

Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 AM
blairjw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael,
This thread looks aged, did you figure out your flicker? If you have a benchtop 12-14v power supply I would try lighting the lamps on the bench and see if they flicker. If they still flicker, the problem is with the lamps.

I know on some Jeeps the computer sends a pulse through the lamp and looks for it on the way back as outage detection. This pulse can be "trapped" by connecting a big capacitor between the power and ground.

If it's a almost imperceptible flicker, then the boost stage of the controller in the LED driver (over molded box between connector and lamp) is ****.

I won't go into too much detail because this is an old thread, but if you are still having issues I can.

Blair