Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Key Fob Dead?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Abbey2007
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fob Dead?

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper hatchback base model and just bought a new battery. I have two fobs. One fob wont start my car at all but will lock and unlock my car. The other will lock and unlock my car but only starts the car here and there. I googled how to recharge my keys so I bought an electronic toothbrush charger, charged the keys over night but nothing has changed. I feel like the semi working key is only losing more charge with every start. I called the dealership and they want to charge me $170 for a new fob so instead of getting A** raped by them I ordered a new OEM key fob with the chip on Ebay for only $40 (free shipping). I'm just extremely pissed off that mini would cheat it's buyers by manufacturing a key that costs $170 from them to replace. I'm pretty sure the problem is my key since the last time this happened with my "dead" key, I checked all the connections, jumped it, and replaced the battery. After all this and the car still not starting, I tried using my spare key and bingo my car didn't have any starting problems anymore until now. I'm guessing the same thing is happening with this key now. When the key I ordered arrives, I'm going to have to program it myself with the button pressing sequence. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
OK, you're new to the realm so sit down and take a deep breath. To get a key that will operate your MINI you WILL have to get it through the dealer. The key has to be set to the VIN. Your ebay key may unlock the door and/or turn on the ignition but that's about it. There are innumerable threads attesting to this very issue on this forum. There are also some DIY threads on how to replace the battery on a certain keys as well. It would be well worth your time to browse the forum. Herein are many years of wisdom on many issues...also a little nonsense but that's to be expected.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Abbey2007
Neutral
My key doesn't have a battery but is "rechargeable". It obviously hasn't been "recharging" correctly or has just worn out. I don't understand how MINI could produce such a faulty product. I'm so mad that they are charging such a high price for something they knew was going to happen by removing the batteries in the 2007 + models. I'm going to try the eBay key first then if that doesn't work I guess I have to bend over for the dealership and maybe file a lawsuit for their intentional faulty product. I paid a lot of money for a BMW type of vehicle to be stuck with these dumb engineering issues. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Abbey

A) your key does have a battery it's just not behind a nice little compartment that you can open.
B) your key is 8 YEARS OLD and it's not just a key it's a multi function device. How long did you expect it to work ? The warranty on the car was only 4 years !
C) you are reallllly gonna be made when you get that Ebay key.
D) a replacement piece of glass for an iPhone cost 130. And it doesn't do anything but be a piece of glass
E) keys theses days aren't what they used to be.
F) sue MINI because the remote died after 8 years. Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out

With some research have you could have had some answers too all your issues.

We're trying to help. But you started off on the wrong foot with bad info and no knowledge of the issue at hand

Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Given the symptoms you describe, I would say that the problem is in the car, not the keys. The battery in the key is only for the remote locking function. Starting the car is a completely separate function that doesn't require battery power. It is a RFID transponder like in a security card key. You should be able to start the car even with a completely dead battery in the key.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
It sounds like you key FOB insert tray might have dust built up inside causing poor contact with the connectors. That's why my FOB never leaves my pocket.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Abbey2007
Neutral
Update: so I bought a key from eBay and returned it bc I couldn't figure out how to program it myself and locksmiths wanted to charge me $200 to program it. I just paid the dealership $197 for an authentic and already programmed key. I'll never buy a key from eBay again. My car started with the new key and hasn't had any starting problems since. Problem solved. I had a feeling it was my key and not anything else inside my car.