Electrical Coding with Carly "BMWhat" app

Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coding with Carly "BMWhat" app

Just finished, for now, coding my countryman with my iPhone and Carly app. The wifi obd plug was $98 on eBay and app $45. I could have payed less but Amazon doesn't accept paypals. A NAM member let me know about the app and it works perfect. I don't have to be a computer programmer or know German. I wanted to post this for members that don't know about this like myself. It works great! No laptop! Just plug in the wifi connector, open the app and code away! It even diagnoses engine, register new batteries and more. Carly says they are working on more coding now and will be updateing the app. Check it out at www.mycarly.com. Start up cost isn't as cheap as using a laptop but it's sooo easy and convenient to use.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Does it in fact register batteries for the Countryman? Wasn't sure if it did.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:09 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Does it in fact register batteries for the Countryman? Wasn't sure if it did.
It shows it does. I haven't had to use it yet. I have only coded bulbs,alarm,windows and ignition switch.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting; a few questions:
1. All you had to buy was the actual app and the obd/wifi adapter?
2. Do you have a link to the adapter you purchased? (any reason why you went with a $98 version? I see much less expensive ones on ebay?
3. Once youre connected to wifi and have the app open, was it difficult to get the app to connect to the car?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Agreed. Interesting. Any pics of your setup and links to the adaptor? Any other suggestions or recommendations when using this app?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InDaClubMan
Interesting; a few questions:
1. All you had to buy was the actual app and the obd/wifi adapter?
2. Do you have a link to the adapter you purchased? (any reason why you went with a $98 version? I see much less expensive ones on ebay?
3. Once youre connected to wifi and have the app open, was it difficult to get the app to connect to the car?

Thanks!
#1 yes, I have the iphone6 and it requires a wifi box that plugs into the obd port under the dash and the app is on iTunes. There is a free lite version to make sure it works before buying the full version.
#2 I bought the adapter they recommended on www.mycarly.com for my phone. They have a iPhone and android version. I used eBay because PayPal is great at handling disputes if the item doesn't work.
#3 Its as easy as connecting to the Carly wifi adapter in wifi settings, and opening the app and pressing connect for the app to connect to the car throught wifi. It's a bmw compatible app, but bmw makes mini coopers so r60/ countryman is on the list of cars to choose.
So far I've coded my fog lights to stay on with my brights, unlocking by doors fog lights fade on 40 seconds, trunk button turns low beams on 40 seconds/ long press is panic alarm, deactivated all the bulb checks for all bulbs, hold lock button rolls up windows and closes sunroof. Tons of stuff to change and they say more to come with updates. I'm very happy because if you have read the coding thread here, it's intimidating. Datens, files modules, folders, German, it's just to much for me to comfortably do confidently.

Last edited by countryman-s; 10-30-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
Agreed. Interesting. Any pics of your setup and links to the adaptor? Any other suggestions or recommendations when using this app?
Go to www.mycarly.com and find out more. Then use your computer to buy the adapter from wherever you want. That's what I did.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countryman-s
Go to www.mycarly.com and find out more. Then use your computer to buy the adapter from wherever you want. That's what I did.
Thanks for the info!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone found an ODB-II device that is compatible with both Carly and Dash (dash.by) for iOS?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by techgearpro
Has anyone found an ODB-II device that is compatible with both Carly and Dash (dash.by) for iOS?
I have the OBDLink MX that works with Carly and Dash Command if that's what you were asking.

Carly doesn't seem to work with the R52.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 PM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Thanks DaGriz! Is that with iOS or Android?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM
jaskel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DaGriz
I have the OBDLink MX that works with Carly and Dash Command if that's what you were asking.

Carly doesn't seem to work with the R52.
Did you have to do anything as far as updating the obdlink? Or will the Carly lite edition not recognize that coding is even possible, mine says it cannot find any ecu's. Just want to verify that everything is working sound before I drop the 45$ for the full Carly edition

Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DaGriz
Too bad the Bluetooth-based OBDLink MX does not work with iOS according to https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

I'd iike one that works with Bluetooth and iOS as I'm trying to stay away from WiFi based products. I'm pretty sure you loose your Internet connection when connected via WiFi.

Thanks!

Last edited by techgearpro; 04-10-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by techgearpro
I'd iike one that works with Bluetooth and iOS as I'm trying to stay away from WiFi based products. I'm pretty sure you loose your Internet connection when connected via WiFi.

Thanks!
I thought the same thing, but it turns out that problem is specific to Android. iOS doesn't assume that wifi is always the right choice; it sees that traffic isn't being routed over that interface and uses the cellular network for everything other than the device.

That said, the generic wifi dongle I have is a pain in the ***. Takes a while to boot, usually takes a couple tries to join its network. I use it only for Carly; I use an Automatic.com dongle for DashCommand, Harry's LapTimer and the Automatic app.

I also have a generic Bluetooth dongle that requires an iOS jailbreak and RoqyBT to use, but it's not a stable connection and Carly flat refuses to use it. Given the iffy quality of that connection I don't blame Carly for refusing to use it.

That is a long way of saying go ahead, pick up a $15 wifi dongle, it'll work fine with Carly and your iPhone will still connect to the Internet. Just be patient with the cheapie dongles.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Thanks bratling! Could you check to see if the dash.by app works with your cheap WiFi ODB-II device? Would you recommend the
Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBDII Scanner Scan Tool Adapter with Power Switch Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android: Automotive Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBDII Scanner Scan Tool Adapter with Power Switch Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android: Automotive

Has anyone had any experience with the Carista ODB-II device and/or app with a MINI Countryman?

Last edited by techgearpro; 04-18-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Carly quit working now:(

Well after months of using this app it now says "critical error" so coding doesn't work anymore. So if you waste your money like I did just be aware, it may only work temperarily if at all. Carly says its a common problem. So personally I'm not sure what to make of a app that may or may not work, or just quit working. So buyer beware!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Thanks for the update, was just considering buying it. I guess I'll pass.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:12 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by countryman-s
Well after months of using this app it now says "critical error" so coding doesn't work anymore. So if you waste your money like I did just be aware, it may only work temperarily if at all. Carly says its a common problem. So personally I'm not sure what to make of a app that may or may not work, or just quit working. So buyer beware!!!!!!
i copied this and forwarded it to Carly ... they claim they have never heard of this

i have been using Carly/android/bluetooth for an out 3 years now

Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
That's strange? They told me sometimes this happens and there is nothing they can do about it. I have continued to try from time to time and see if it works out the issue on it own, but it hasn't. No updates have addressed the problem so I guess I'm screwed. Only idea I can come up with is replacing the module that is not working. But I believe that isn't just a plug and play situation. The car work flawless other than not being able to code.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
unrelated i guess but i'll add to the thread carly does not work with odblink products.

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxb...58JxoCHIXw_wcB

the adapter works with other android apps, just not carly/bmwhat.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:49 PM
nielsenp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've been using it about a year now and yes I did buy the dongle from them and I paid for the app. I have an I phone 6S plus and so far programmed on my lights radio side mirrors blinkers things of that nature. I have not ran into any issues as of yet the set up is easy to use and they are active in updating the program.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Ive used ICarly on two different CM's over 1.5 years and never had an issue. Made many changes to both cars. Well worth the cost of the official adaptor and full version of software.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Anyone in the central Maryland area willing to let me try it to see if it is worth it?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 AM
DieMaier
Neutral
First, very sorry for my bad english - living in Austria and figured this forum is way more valuable than any other german forum I found

I´m currently trying to get my audio from analog to digital in my recently bought R60 (3/2016) so I can just put in my lightning cable without any aux cable (I do have the iPhone 7) and still being able to have audio

While trying NCS expert I always received an error that I couldn´t identify while reading the ECU.

So I thought I want to give iCarly a try. Looking at their homepage and going through the modules they list on the homepage I can´t see any media control that lets me change audio from analog to digital.

Also when talking to the support he just laughed at me that I can´t change any analog signal into a digital one.

Well I read from tons of people being successful using NCS so I wondered if someone already using iCarly could confirm if this option is available/ not available ?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Cpages2
1st Gear
Does this work with R56? I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S that I would love to easily set some parameters up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Coding with Carly "BMWhat" app