Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Outrunning my headlamps -- seeking alternative

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM
GSJMiniCooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outrunning my headlamps -- seeking alternative

I am currently outrunning my headlamps. I am VERY uncomfortable driving on the freeway at night! I have cars behind me, whose headlamps project further than mine. I've taken them to 3 places who all say they are adjusted out as far as they will go.

With that said.... I need an alternative.

2008 Mini cooper S

The headlamp I currently have has the orange lens at the bottom.... and a very small light with a "silver shell" around it in the outer corner.

Looking at after market products, I see one line mentioned quite a bit....
*** High Beam Function On Locked Position Has been Disabled, Only Able To Flash High Beam**

As I drive quite a bit at night...THIS IS NOT AN OPTION! I WANT my high beams available.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just bought this car used...it's my first mini....I live in Boise and there is no dealership here...I have traveled to SLC and Portland to the dealerships there (for mechanical fixes)....but I really don't want to spend $1000 on headlamps through the dealership. They SHOULD work ...I don't know how this feature isn't considered a serious safety threat (as it only shines about 10 feet out).

Thanks again!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have halogen bulbs on your Cooper S, you can replace them with aftermarket bulbs. Just Google search and you'll find some vendors. Here are some listed below.

http://www.ecstuning.com/

http://new.minimania.com/index.cfm

http://www.waymotorworks.com/

Just make sure to select the type of car you have and you'll see your options.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by GSJMiniCooper
it only shines about 10 feet out
Something's wrong. Have you tried replacing the bulbs?

Which one of these is on your car:

This is the optional xenon headlight, and it should give good light.

This is the standard halogen headlight, which is not as bright as the xenon but shouldn't perform as poorly as you describe.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out PIAA H13 Xtreme White for $80+ a pair or Hella 9008 High Perfomance for less than half the price.. both will significantly improve range and brightness.

Both are available for Amazon maybe for less money.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
*** High Beam Function On Locked Position Has been Disabled, Only Able To Flash High Beam**

not sure what you are saying here ... my '7 certainly did not have highbeam locked out nor is there a driver programmable option that I recall . . .

2 suggestions

1. Sounds like you have the standard halogen headlights and if that is the case the quickest easiest possible solution is to replace the stock bulbs with something better. When I got my 2002 I felt the hal' headlights were weak and after a while finally tried a set of Silverstar bulbs. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Available at any decent autopart store and Wally World and installation takes just a few minutes. Some folks poo-poo the Silverstar line but I like 'em .... there are plenty of other 'brighter' bulbs beside Silverstar .... PIAA for example.

2. Add a set of driving lights. The factory set is expensive but there's no reason you need the factory ones. A decent of driving lights can be had for less than $100
http://www.jcwhitney.com/hella-model...?filterid=u0j1
but you might want to splurge on a decent set of mounting brackets if not 'handy'. (outmotoring.com has some). TECHNICALLY driving lights are supposed to be wired as high beams ... question is does your state DO vehicle inspections?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Capt_bj;4075079]*** High Beam Function On Locked Position Has been Disabled, Only Able To Flash High Beam**

Some folks poo-poo the Silverstar line but I like 'em .... there are plenty of other 'brighter' bulbs beside Silverstar .... PIAA for example.

Capt. Bj:

Sadly I've had negative experience with Silverstars. It burned out on me every 6 months or so BUT their c/s has been superb. I've always gotten a replacement in the mail 3 days later each time I called.. The carry a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase. So after 2 years I had to divert to something that requires less inconvenience on my end.

Good to know that your experience with Silverstar has been very good...

Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The best solution is a pair of good driving lights; if you like you can wire them so they're on any time your high beams are selected.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 PM
yashmack
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want these myself:
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/2...ni06jm-tm.html

or these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361254607762?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
there are some cool LED driving/fog lights out there too

Old 05-12-2015, 04:30 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to your local 4WD Store and they can probably hook you up with some LED lights.