Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Has anyone used the BMWhat app for iPhone to successfully code there car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Mikli
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM
adcam
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikli
That is not a cable, newbie answer.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i wish it could code retrofit rear fogs :( Otherwise I love it!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 AM
STR3T
2nd Gear
So I’ve read thru a lot of OBD II scanner threads. Primarily looking for iPhone/iPad compatibility. So Wifi. Also have '09 Z4, the wife's Infinity QX and a VW Touareg.

So would not mind having something that works for various vehicles vs. BMW specific.

I see Carly for BMW at $75 + $45 for the app = ~$120.

Or going cheap looks like the alternative is to get an ELM327 w/ Wifi for $22 + Dashcommand for $9 = ~$31.

So $90 savings vs. the BWM/Mini specific app…what’s the big hit for not using Carly/BMWhat?

Doesn't look like I can get comfort open/close on our '13 Cabrio (R57) through Carly...not sure if that's in the works. That would've been a big one for me to go w/ Carly. I do get battery programming for the Mini and if I need it again for our Z4...but think the Z will be sold prior to a needing a new battery. Just bought one last March which the dealer was more than happy to charge up for programming.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Mikli
2nd Gear
This wifi obdII connector is working with the iCarly app. Am playing with it now.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 AM
STR3T
2nd Gear
Too late mikli, I got the Carly adapter.

Wow, that's a lot of entries under some of the coding sections. So many
that we inadvertently set the thing to lock the doors when started. That's fine but then if you hit the unlock button (someone comes up to the car to get in) within 1/2 a second it re-locked the doors. Like you're purposefully messing with the person standing there trying to get in. Think I deactivated that silliness.

Also, does not have top down with remote for the cabriolet, which I was hoping for. Assume it is not possible ala SmartTop.

Love 5-blinker option. Three was never enough...

Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Mikli
2nd Gear
That's $75!

For the DRL option
Just figured the "3rd brake light" are the two vertical "C" inside the main rear lights.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM
WillShootPhotos
1st Gear
Anyone tried coding a new "comfort" key to a car?

I've picked up a second comfort style key/fob for my 2007 MCS (bought the car a month back and it only had one key) and it seems I need to take it to the dealer for coding to get the comfort functions to work. The lock/unlock/trunk buttons work fine; but the car tells me that the remote isn't around or is broken...

Can Carly perform this task? I see in their FAQ that it can configure some comfort functions, but it isn't clear if syncing a new fob to the car is one of them. I've emailed Carly - but not sure how quickly (or if) they'll respond.

Or any suggestions on another coding tool/app/etc that may do the trick?

Thanks in advance!

- Will

Old 09-14-2015, 03:02 PM
STR3T
2nd Gear
They usually reply within a day...not sure that I saw key coding in there tho.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Mikli
2nd Gear
You could set each key to have "comfort" or not. I think dealer or an independent with the full computer could program with the key codes that came with the new key to your car.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 PM
WillShootPhotos
1st Gear
You could set each key to have "comfort" or not. I think dealer or an independent with the full computer could program with the key codes that came with the new key to your car.
Spot on Mikli - from another thread, the full software can do this... another member said they've done it themselves.

I also got a reply from the company that makes "Carly" and they said their app cannot do this.

Just not sure I want to drop that much on a fully functioned ODB2 device and software... I think the majority of the stuff that an app can do is all that I'll prob ever do; so figure I'll check w/ my local dealer and go from there... unless someone in the Austin area wants to assist... :-D

- Will

Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
See if there is an independent in your area that has Autologic software. They can do a lot of the factory stuff.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a side note, the current update has disabled the original "cheap" adapters - total crap... Program is now useless unless you pay for the "Carly" adapter.

Went to change some coding today, would not let me do it kept saying "the Wifi was unstable and I had to buy a 2nd gen adapter".

********!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ELM 327 or Veepeak Wifi Adapter Is Now Useless

Recently had a CEL and tried to clear it today and kept getting pop up that there is no connection is established. Has anyone else come across this type of pop up? I've cleared and have done a couple of codings via FRM before and worked pretty flawlessly until today. As explained the recent update has blocked generic adapters...

Please chime in and let us know what course of action was taken before I pull the trigger on a Carly wifi from Amazon.

Thanks in advance,

JG

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used the BMWhat app for iPhone to successfully code there car?-image.png  
Old 10-18-2015, 02:58 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
Just a side note, the current update has disabled the original "cheap" adapters - total crap... Program is now useless unless you pay for the "Carly" adapter.

Went to change some coding today, would not let me do it kept saying "the Wifi was unstable and I had to buy a 2nd gen adapter".

********!
Just a heads up to my own reply.

This was "my" fault. I had been trying to code a 2007 BMW. Turns out they used another coding protocol back then. And my Adapter wont work. After talking with the developer, turns out - my generic adapter still works fine on my 2013 Clubman (and it does, I tested it).

Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Feedback on Generic Adapters

Originally Posted by danjreed
Just a heads up to my own reply.

This was "my" fault. I had been trying to code a 2007 BMW. Turns out they used another coding protocol back then. And my Adapter wont work. After talking with the developer, turns out - my generic adapter still works fine on my 2013 Clubman (and it does, I tested it).
Thanks for the clarification.

I just tried my ELM 327 on Dash Command and got the same results that I have to connect the adapter first. Still not getting connected on either app.

I guess I'm trouble now that I won't be able to switch between maps or read/clear codes in the future. Need to read up some more on this topic... Wish me luck!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:24 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
I guess I will be updating the app now.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by adcam
Got the wifi dongle and full app. I don't have the FRM module to code. Is this specific for certain car models. I have the R58.
Hey adcam, did you ever get the FRM module to come up for you? I'm having the same issue with my 2012 R58, and I'm running the iPhone app and official Carly wifi adapter. CAS and KOMBI are reading and coding without issues.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:45 AM
crj900
1st Gear
I've been using the BMWHAT app with my Iphone 6 using their Adapter and my 2012 Mini Cooper R56 and it works great!, Still waiting for more possibilities such as Battery Registration and other coding availabillity. Especially like the ability to open and close windows from outside the car!

Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rosvick
Hey adcam, did you ever get the FRM module to come up for you? I'm having the same issue with my 2012 R58, and I'm running the iPhone app and official Carly wifi adapter. CAS and KOMBI are reading and coding without issues.
In my experience with my R55 and the generic ELM adapter, every once in a while a module wouldnt be "available" to code after it had been available prior. I usually restarted my iphone and once it rebooted, I would set it to airplane mode and then connect to the wifi network that the adapter was broadcasting and it worked just fine. Hopefully this helps. And for the record, my generic ELM dongle works great for my R55...

Old 12-02-2015, 10:55 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InDaClubMan
In my experience with my R55 and the generic ELM adapter, every once in a while a module wouldnt be "available" to code after it had been available prior. I usually restarted my iphone and once it rebooted, I would set it to airplane mode and then connect to the wifi network that the adapter was broadcasting and it worked just fine. Hopefully this helps. And for the record, my generic ELM dongle works great for my R55...
Sadly, I tried rebooting my phone as well as reinstalling a fresh copy of the app multiple times. Airplane mode on or off, the FRM isn't found. I've heard from one other person that the current version of CarlyForBMW has an issue that the FRM can't be seen at all, and that the makers are currently working on an update. Can anyone else try the latest version and confirm that for me, please? It might put my mind to rest.

Otherwise, I guess I have to invest in a full-blown NCS Expert setup.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rosvick
Sadly, I tried rebooting my phone as well as reinstalling a fresh copy of the app multiple times. Airplane mode on or off, the FRM isn't found. I've heard from one other person that the current version of CarlyForBMW has an issue that the FRM can't be seen at all, and that the makers are currently working on an update. Can anyone else try the latest version and confirm that for me, please? It might put my mind to rest.

Otherwise, I guess I have to invest in a full-blown NCS Expert setup.
PM'd - lets see if we can figure this out.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 PM
crj900
1st Gear
I've got the latest version of the carly app and the footwell module(FRM) shows up for coding on my R56 2012

Old 12-02-2015, 03:32 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Dang. There might be something wrong with my car then. I can't see an R58 being any different than an R56 when it comes to the FRM module. I'll have to keep playing around and see what I can do.

Quick Reply: Electrical Has anyone used the BMWhat app for iPhone to successfully code there car?