Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical GEN 1 NCS INPA users UNIT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by axsys
I will post up some instruction for those who need it to get INPA and NCS running on Windows 7 32bit. I have no issue on my laptop once I had a cable that works (also ordered mine off of eBay from bmwfanatiq).

Anyone know how to disable the digital speedometer over-correction on an R53? I couldn't find that in my editing.
Win 7, YES PLEASE!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:49 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used NCS Expert to code some functions in my R53

Success
- Enable Comfort Close with remote
- Disable Cold monitor of parking lights. Prevents the disco/rave flicker of my LED parking lights when turning the ignition on.
- Enable One click to unlock all doors

Semi-Success
- Auto Up - worked on drivers side, but not on passenger side

Fail
- Enable Comfort Open with remote - couldn't get this to work.
- Disable cold monitoring of Boot light. It still flickers when turning the ignition on.

Unexpected
- Discomfort Open - This is what I call this unexpected result from trying to code some of the above. Doors are locked. Use remote to unlock doors. Open drivers door. => drivers window goes down. WTH! Who would want this feature? It could be storming out.

Anyone know how to code in Remote Comfort Open? I've seen a video of it, so I know it's possible on some gen1 cars.
Anyone know how to prevent the boot light from flickering when turning ignition to on?

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Figured out Comfort Open:

HALTEN_FB_OEFFNEN_TASTE (holding remote control unlock button functionality)
komfort_oeffnung
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_SCHLOSS (comfort opening with key in lock [power windows, sunroof or convertibletop])
aktiv

I also found out why someone would want the window to roll down when you grab the door handle. NCS Dummy states: "easy entry for frameless coupe door in narrow spaces". Or Dukes of Hazard mode.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
just got my cable and got the software installed. All new for me...

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 PM
TISGOD
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, so I'm running INPA....

Trying to fix the airbag light issue.

When I try and get the codes it runs through each module and gives me an error, on each one.

Open Inpa
Shift F2 for R50
Under "select R50 V1.15"
Double click "R50 Ident and error memory"
F4 "Error Memory"
F1 "Error Read Memory"
Each Module brings up an error box:
ApiFsLessen/apiResultSets: API ERROR Nr. 28
IFH=0018: INITIALIZATION ERROR
Job error or no such result !
Continue script processing ?

Click Yes

New error box:
FehlerspeicherLessen: Jobstatus error

If I skip F1 "Read Error Memory Read" and go straight to F2 "Error Memory Delete" it runs through the process but my Airbag light is still on.

Any hints on how to make this work as I don't see any INPA tutorials.

Thanks!
T

Last edited by TISGOD; 07-07-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 PM
tony35
Neutral
This error has nothing to do with car, or any of its modules.
Your comms are not working. Serial port / drivers needs to be set properly - see sticky thread. If that's sorted, then cable might be faulty.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
Hey guys, I'm trying something a little different.

I have the basic cluster setup, but I want to move to the Nav center with the dual rpm/speedo clusters on the steering wheel. From what I've read, the switch to the Chrono pretty much requires new rpm/speedo clusters in order for the VIN to work properly. What I did was just buy a used GPS unit and ditch the screen and guts so I could retain the gas gauge and the stuff that's above the GPS screen (seatbelt, airbags, etc).

Here's where I get stuck. I plug in the new center cluster (Nav) and everything goes to miles/MPH/F/etc. No big deal, just switch that stuff using NCSExpert and we're golden... or not. I pull the trace file from the unit and it is a BC1.C07, where as my old unit got pulled as a BC1.C05.

Am I correct in assuming that the C05 and C07 are revisions to the BC1 module? How can I edit the settings on the Nav cluster when it's BC1 was an 07 revision and I'm only running an 05 revision?

I have everything installed and it's all been working fine so far. This has just got me a little stuck.

Also, does anyone know how the CAN bus is terminated in the Navigation package? All of the different things I've read (even the Bentley manual) say it terminates at the instrument cluster, but with that gone...? Does the auxiliary cluster have the termination? I haven't purchased it yet to check myself.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jgk6502
Unexpected
- Discomfort Open - This is what I call this unexpected result from trying to code some of the above. Doors are locked. Use remote to unlock doors. Open drivers door. => drivers window goes down. WTH! Who would want this feature? It could be storming out.
That's an option! I don't remember where it was, probably in BC1, but I remember seeing it and wondering wtf it was for. I'll look for you.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:06 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Another ncs/inpa user here

I got inpa working briefly on Win8.1 64bit, just enough to read my abs fault code, but now it no longer connects... it may have something to do with installing other VMs on the laptop. I think I'm going to dedicate an older laptop with WinXP SP2 for this.

Is it possible to use ncs/inpa for coding a new or used BC1 module to work with the car? Friend's R53 had some water damage and the corrosion in the BC1 seems to be causing all sorts of issues...

Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had the anti-virus kill off components of DIS/INPA once it was working. Since you sort of have to run without antivirus to avoid having this problem, it makes sense to use an old machine and turn wifi off to limit the need for antivirus.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:05 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I forgot about this thread.

I have a Windows 7 machine that I use specifically for car stuff (NCS, Fortin immobilizer/remote start programming, VCDS, etc).

I was recently successful in changing the following on my '04 R53:

* Disabled seat belt gong. The seatbelt light only comes on during initial startup as a bulb check, then disappears.

* Disabled NAS mode for the front fog lights. Now they operate as they would on a ECE-spec car (fog lights work with parking lights, low beams, and high beams)

* Enabled comfort opening via key in door handle. My car came with comfort closing already enabled for the key in door handle.

* Enabled comfort closing via remote. This doesn't work as I expected. I have to hit the lock button multiple times for this to work, even w/ new batteries in my remote. My car came with comfort opening w/ remote already enabled.

* Enabled double blink hazard lights (my favorite mod so far)

* Enabled the clock in the speedometer (now I have two - factory one in the headliner, and the one in the speedo. They are not linked, can be set to different times if desired)

* Changed the front wipers to wipe 4 times during a wash cycle instead of 3.

* Changed the headlight washers to power wash every 3 times the front washers are used (still have not tested this - it was previously set to 7, and I could only get them to wash one time unless I cycled the headlights on/off)

* Removed the leading zero on my odometer. So instead of reading 062964, it reads 62964. Looks less cluttered now.

* Changed the 'number of visual unlocking acknowledges' from 2 to 3.

* Changed the remotes so that pressing unlock 1 time unlocks all doors/boot.

* Disabled wipers stepping down in speed when the vehicle is stopped. (have not tested this yet)

* Enabled low fuel warning gong (fuel not low enough to test yet)

* Disabled low temperature warning gong. Quite annoying in the fall when temps hover right around 37*F.

* Disabled cold and warm bulb checks for the parking lights and turn signal bulbs, so I can upgrade to LEDs in the future and not have any hyper flashing or random strobe effect.

If you'd like to look at my .trc files, let me know. More than happy to share since this info isn't widely available on the 'net for our R50/52/53s.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JKo
Another ncs/inpa user here

I got inpa working briefly on Win8.1 64bit, just enough to read my abs fault code, but now it no longer connects... it may have something to do with installing other VMs on the laptop. I think I'm going to dedicate an older laptop with WinXP SP2 for this.

Is it possible to use ncs/inpa for coding a new or used BC1 module to work with the car? Friend's R53 had some water damage and the corrosion in the BC1 seems to be causing all sorts of issues...
Go with SP3 instead of SP2. I had to reinstall my WinXP VM and went with SP3. With SP2 I couldn't access WindowsUpdate and I needed Windows Installer 3.1 to install DotNet framework 3.5 to use NCS Dummy.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
So I have a x86 Win 7 running NCS and INPA and they were both working fine and allowed me to code a used navigation cluster with my VIN (after wiping the previous VIN), but now I'm trying to recode the Kombi for a new cluster configuration and I can't pull the VIN from anywhere without error. Even if I put the VIN in manually, it still comes back with that "VIN faulty, EDABIAS not initialized" error. Does anybody know if letting the evaluation period of a Windows install expire would screw anything up in terms of NCS/EDABIAS? INPA still works fine, the ignition and battery lights both fill solid and I'm able to explore the vehicle's modules. NCS won't do anything though.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 PM
matthoef
2nd Gear
Sorry to bring back from the dead BUT ... which version of NCS Expert are you guys using? I've found INPA-6.4.3 & INPA-5.02.

Additionally, I seem to have lost the link to the correct cable. Will this one work? http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...ortsid=&sorts=

Thanks a ton in advance. I finally have a working version of XP working through VirtualBox on my Mac (couldn't get USB devices to be recognized using Parallels for some reason).

Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 AM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
My version of INPA is 5.06. I believe I got it from the package that is labeled BMW Standard Tools 5.0.

I bought my cable from an ebay seller, $35 out of Romania. Here's the description.
BMW & MINI USB OBD Diagnostic cable INPA NcsExpert WinKfp DIS SSS Progman GT1

Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sub

Old 06-14-2016, 04:51 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Would you guys be willing to write up a little mini "Coding your R53 for dummies" instructional/tips and tricks from what you've learned? Also, what are the differences between the different software options you all have mentioned earlier in this thread? Which has the smallest learning curve?

I don't have much experience with code except for some MatLab/DOE2/Excel from various projects in my engineering program, but I REALLY want to learn how to do this. (DID YOU SAY YOU CAN ENABLE AUTO-UP ON WINDOWS WITHOUT IAN CULL AUTOUP?!!?!)

Just joined that bmwcoding forum, looks really cool, but it's still pretty overwhelming!