Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Burger Motorsports (BMS) CAN tool (CT) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DOtheDEW
So to delete catless dp codes, I get into the hijack mode, click 7 times, hold 2 seconds click one time then hold 2 seconds?
That's correct! Hope you like it! I got my high flow coming next week on Tuesday.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
That's correct! Hope you like it! I got my high flow coming next week on Tuesday.
I recommend Highflow or better yet Catless for everyone,😁

Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the downpipe it sounds awesome, I went 153 miles then got the cel. I tried this dp delete code thing with the cantool but it doesn't seem to be working

Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I love the downpipe it sounds awesome, I went 153 miles then got the cel. I tried this dp delete code thing with the cantool but it doesn't seem to be working
Did you leave the car on?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Did you leave the car on?
Yes, I did it with the car on and it never went away

Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yes, I did it with the car on and it never went away
Unplug the can tool and do it again. Hopefully you're can tool isn't faulty.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
I will try that, I know the can tool works because the boost gauge for the gas gauge works, and the shift light works also

Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I will try that, I know the can tool works because the boost gauge for the gas gauge works, and the shift light works also
Did you get it to work yet?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Yes I unplugged the cantool, then tried it again and it worked fine!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yes I unplugged the cantool, then tried it again and it worked fine!
That's great! Enjoy it!:-)

Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 AM
Frankyj
Neutral
Since this can tool is no longer available at burgertuning does anyone know where I can buy one with the same features?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 PM
parnellj48
1st Gear
Hello. Just picked up a can tool and was setting it up and noticed the speedo/tach menus don't match what is stated in the 1st post. Like boost on fuel gauge in my car is:
S:1 T:2 vs S:1 T:1. Basically I'm playing around in the menus blind and I'm having trouble figuring out what menu and sub menu is available for adjustment. Like some sub menus can go to 5 on the tach where the list on post 1 doesn't list anything with a 5 in the tach for menus 1 and 3 specifically. I did find a pdf for the CAN tool guide for BMW, but nothing mini specific. Any help with menu elaboration and the displayed value on the speedo and fuel gauge would be greatly appreciated. If i read correctly one bar on the fuel gauge is 10psi plus 1 psi each additional fuel mark. As far as the speedo, I can't make any sense of it. So it's just disabled for now. Thanks for any clarification.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by parnellj48
Hello. Just picked up a can tool and was setting it up and noticed the speedo/tach menus don't match what is stated in the 1st post. Like boost on fuel gauge in my car is:
S:1 T:2 vs S:1 T:1. Basically I'm playing around in the menus blind and I'm having trouble figuring out what menu and sub menu is available for adjustment. Like some sub menus can go to 5 on the tach where the list on post 1 doesn't list anything with a 5 in the tach for menus 1 and 3 specifically. I did find a pdf for the CAN tool guide for BMW, but nothing mini specific. Any help with menu elaboration and the displayed value on the speedo and fuel gauge would be greatly appreciated. If i read correctly one bar on the fuel gauge is 10psi plus 1 psi each additional fuel mark. As far as the speedo, I can't make any sense of it. So it's just disabled for now. Thanks for any clarification.
did you get the CT from a mini owner? if so, i'd check these menus to make sure you have it set for the correct ECU and dashboard:

S T
5 6 No NAV/mini connected
5 7 NAV/mini connected
6 3 ECU MINI N18 (make sure this is selected)

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 PM
parnellj48
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
did you get the CT from a mini owner? if so, i'd check these menus to make sure you have it set for the correct ECU and dashboard: S T 5 6 No NAV/mini connected 5 7 NAV/mini connected 6 3 ECU MINI N18 (make sure this is selected)
Hey Yesti. Yes previous owner used it in their mini. And also I double checked that S:5 T:6 for no nav and S:6 T:3 for N18. I also enabled the no oil press as stated on post 1. I did have to unplug and try again for the hijack to start working at first and I successfully set my shift lights to 6k rpm. So it is functional. Lol. Heck I could be seeing timing on fuel with my current settings and not know it lol. Just the extra sub menus threw me off. And i have an S:8 menu as well. Are there newer firmware updates for these things that allow IAT? One can only hope.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Hey Yesti. Yes previous owner used it in their mini. And also I double checked that S:5 T:6 for no nav and S:6 T:3 for N18. I also enabled the no oil press as stated on post 1. I did have to unplug and try again for the hijack to start working at first and I successfully set my shift lights to 6k rpm. So it is functional. Lol. Heck I could be seeing timing on fuel with my current settings and not know it lol. Just the extra sub menus threw me off. And i have an S:8 menu as well. Are there newer firmware updates for these things that allow IAT? One can only hope.
Glad to hear! no new firmware updates, unfortunately.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
parnellj48
1st Gear
Glad to hear! no new firmware updates, unfortunately.
That's lame for no firmware updates :/ So are the extra menus just there for no reason?? Or it shares the e9x type stuff for the extra gauges bimmers have that mini don't? Also on one setting i noticed the speedo went crazy and spiked to 160mph with lift off throttle after full boost pull. And the speedo was very erratic in its movement during the pull to redline. I assume the speedo was set to AFR?
Also car is bone stock 2011 mcs-a

Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
yesti
5th Gear
That's lame for no firmware updates :/ So are the extra menus just there for no reason?? Or it shares the e9x type stuff for the extra gauges bimmers have that mini don't?
Also on one setting i noticed the speedo went crazy and spiked to 160mph with lift off throttle after full boost pull. And the speedo was very erratic in its movement during the pull to redline. I assume the speedo was set to AFR?
no idea what the extra menus are for.

boost or AFR will make the speedo go crazy since the engine will dial in based on load which can change instantaneously. the stock tune is quite spastic and the JB+, if you have it, raises boost a few psi spikes and all.

i like boost on the fuel gauge since the speedo maxes out at 16psi and spikes can go higher than that.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
parnellj48
1st Gear
no idea what the extra menus are for. boost or AFR will make the speedo go crazy since the engine will dial in based on load which can change instantaneously. the stock tune is quite spastic and the JB+, if you have it, raises boost a few psi spikes and all. i like boost on the fuel gauge since the speedo maxes out at 16psi and spikes can go higher than that.
But just to be clear that on the fuel gauge 1 bar (empty) is 10psi and each additional light towards (full) is 1 psi?

And say if the speedo was set to timing, what would be "normal" movements or range of speed on the gauge read? I know if it goes less during high load is bad cuz it's pulling timing which is bad lol.

And sadly. No jb+ :( someday!

But going back to post 1, S:1 T:1 should be fuel gauge boost and S:3 T:2 speedo timing. This is what I want it to be.

Thanks for the info yesti!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 PM
yesti
5th Gear
But just to be clear that on the fuel gauge 1 bar (empty) is 10psi and each additional light towards (full) is 1 psi?

And say if the speedo was set to timing, what would be "normal" movements or range of speed on the gauge read? I know if it goes less during high load is bad cuz it's pulling timing which is bad lol.

And sadly. No jb+ :( someday!

But going back to post 1, S:1 T:1 should be fuel gauge boost and S:3 T:2 speedo timing. This is what I want it to be.

Thanks for the info yesti!
Yes, I believe that is correct for fuel gauge showing boost. If you want to verify, set speedo and fuel to boost since the speedo is a direct correlation to boost (120mph=12psi)

For timing, the stock tune doesn't put much timing in under WOT since it runs the AFR relatively lean. I haven't watched it much but anything positive is a good sign. The higher the octane you run should give it more opportunity to add more timing up to whatever the stock map calls for.

For $300, the JB+ is great bang for the buck.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
parnellj48
1st Gear
Yes, I believe that is correct for fuel gauge showing boost. If you want to verify, set speedo and fuel to boost since the speedo is a direct correlation to boost (120mph=12psi) For timing, the stock tune doesn't put much timing in under WOT since it runs the AFR relatively lean. I haven't watched it much but anything positive is a good sign. The higher the octane you run should give it more opportunity to add more timing up to whatever the stock map calls for. For $300, the JB+ is great bang for the buck.
Cool. I'll give it a shot.
I'm looking for a used jb+ and would also like a ddm street intake from wmw and eventually the nm engineering charge/discharge pipe to get rid of that horrible noise maker inefficiency.
Some day lol!
Again thanks for the info!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:53 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Cool. I'll give it a shot.
I'm looking for a used jb+ and would also like a ddm street intake from wmw and eventually the nm engineering charge/discharge pipe to get rid of that horrible noise maker inefficiency.
Some day lol!
Again thanks for the info!
no problem, glad it all worked out.

from my limited knowledge, not very many intakes will give you more than sound but wmw is a good resource.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 AM
parnellj48
1st Gear
Is there a setting to keep the gauges hijacked all the time vs only under load? Thanks. Also found that menu 8 has an adjustment from 0-5000 rpm. Similar to the shift light setting. What could that be for?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:42 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Is there a setting to keep the gauges hijacked all the time vs only under load? Thanks. Also found that menu 8 has an adjustment from 0-5000 rpm. Similar to the shift light setting. What could that be for?
The gauges are hijacked after boost reaches 5 psi. This is not adjustable.

I will see if I have information on menu 8.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 AM
parnellj48
1st Gear
The gauges are hijacked after boost reaches 5 psi. This is not adjustable. I will see if I have information on menu 8.
so this thing encourages a heavy foot lol! Lemme know what you find on mysterious menu 8.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM
yesti
5th Gear
so this thing encourages a heavy foot lol! Lemme know what you find on mysterious menu 8.
Well the turbo starts spooling at such a low rpm, and the stock throttle map is aggressive so it happens sooner than you'd think. ;-)

If memory serves me menu 8 might be a scaling factor. So 5k rpm is 50%. I don't know if I have docs on that, might have to dig. You can try it but unless you can do math instantaneously in your head it might be hard to read the gauges in real-time.

Quick Reply: Electrical Burger Motorsports (BMS) CAN tool (CT) thread