Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical R56 Rear fog light does not work completley

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Papote
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R56 Rear fog light does not work completley

I finally got my parts and installed the rear fog lights.

I activated NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE in IHKS and added $5AA to the VO in CAS and FRM modules, but only the left lights turns on.
R56 Rear fog light does not work completley-hydlqh.jpg

I switched the right fog light to the left side see if it was the right light or socket, but it worked fine when connected to the left side cable.

Not sure if it is normal or not, but in the control panel a yellow light turns on instead of green, when the rear fog lights are turned on.
R56 Rear fog light does not work completley-n7y3eh.jpg

Is it possible I have a bad wire on the right side or do I need to add someting else in NCSExpert?

I have a 2008 R56 Mini Cooper S.

Last edited by Papote; 12-16-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The yellow light is supposed to turn on. Green for front, yellow for rear. Don't know why only 1 is illuminating though. The MCS has 2 lights and the MC has 1 due to the different bumper design.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Papote
2nd Gear
Before originally connecting the cables to the fog lights for the first time, I cleaned them with Electronic Cleaner.

I obviously did this while off and let it dry for a while.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Papote
2nd Gear
I got it working!!
I was given a tip: "SG_Code the FRM & IHKS modules using Expert profile"

So I went into NCSExpert and emptied out the FSW_PSW.MAN file. Went into the FRM and IHKS modules and changed the job to "SG_CODIEREN_OHNE_FG_AEI" and Executed.

Even my alarm retrofit (Don't have the hardware yet, but had gotten the heartbeat tach light to work) flashes the lights if I open the door from the inside thru the handle after having activated the "alarm".

Not sure what that job does, but seemed to get the job done.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I need to find someone with NCSExpert that can program my rear fogs, comfort window closing, and fogs on with high beams.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM
guason_jin
Neutral
Hi coders,

I had the same problem as Papote. I could only get the left fog light to work on my 2013 MCS There are TWO attributes that have to be changed to aktiv in IHKS:

NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE (if set by itself, activates the left rear fog light.)
NSL_FUNKTION_SZM

You will still want to change the VO code. (Again $5AA, that seems to be standard across all of BMW.) Changing the VO code will insure your fog lights still work the next time the dealer updates your car's software.

Last edited by guason_jin; 07-30-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: type
Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 PM
guason_jin
Neutral
Sorry, there are some edits in FRM as well:

MIND_ANZ_ZYKL_TIPP_BLK_1 wert_02
NSL_EINSEITIG_VERBAUT_C34 beide_aktiv
KALTUE_NSL_L_M2_51 aktiv
WARMUE_NSL_L_M2_51 aktiv
CC_MELDUNG_NSL_L_3R wert_01
KALTUE_NSL_R_M1_10 aktiv
WARMUE_NSL_R_M1_10 aktiv
CC_MELDUNG_NSL_R_3R wert_01

Basically, I'm comparing the trace files from before and after the VO code was updated and the FRM and IHKS modules were processed with a blank MAN file.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
FYI
Rear fog lamps

In Europe and other countries adhering to UN Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps", which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be turned on by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candela, which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp (brake light). Rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the U.S., however, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America—Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline—whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered. This is to maximize the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.

Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.

Motor on!

Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Angib
4th Gear
And two practical features:

1) rear fogs are fitted with a dashboard warning lamp so that the driver knows (OK, may know) they are switched on;

2) rear fog lamp switches are 'non-latching' - when the ignition is turned off, the rear fog switch resets to 'off', so that when you drive to work the next morning, you don't still have the rear fogs on from the journey home the day before. Which shows that few drivers notice the warning lamp in (1) or they don't know what it means.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:28 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the retrofit on a 2015 Roadster in February and both sides worked with no changes other than the NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE in IHKA.

Today I tried to do it on a 2012 Coupe and I ran into some problems both with NCS not writing properly and then also with needing to add more codes from this thread.

First NCS would say it wrote new codes but it didn't work and when I read the codes again it showed that the same original file was still written to the car. CAS and FRM would write and save but IHKA, ABG and CHAMP all needed defaulting (using expert profile not just a blank MAN file) before it would save new coding.

I defaulted IHKA the proper way then found that only the left rear fog worked. After reading this thread I read the FRM codes and looked for these codes mentioned above:

This one was already correct: MIND_ANZ_ZYKL_TIPP_BLK_1 wert_02

This one said something else before the aktiv instead of beide so I changed it: NSL_EINSEITIG_VERBAUT_C34 beide_aktiv. beide means "both" in german so this may have been part of the problem.

These said nicht_aktiv and I changed them but it doesn't matter as it is just the blown out bulb warning:
KALTUE_NSL_L_M2_51 aktiv
WARMUE_NSL_L_M2_51 aktiv
KALTUE_NSL_R_M1_10 aktiv
WARMUE_NSL_R_M1_10 aktiv

This one was already correct: CC_MELDUNG_NSL_L_3R wert_01

This one is the reason I believe it wasn't working: CC_MELDUNG_NSL_R_3R wert_01. This one tells the right bulb to turn on and it wasn't even in my FRM at all. I added it manually and wrote the codes. After writing it the right side still didn't work so I re-read the codes and found that the function did write but applied it as wert_02 so I again edited the code to wert_01 and re-wrote it. This time it saved correctly and now both sides work.

Thanks to guason_jin for comparing the TRC file as I would never have found out the fix without it.

Last edited by miniwpbear; 08-29-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 AM
xgunner
Neutral
Rear Fog Lights

Installed switch panel and toggle and got the left fog working,I've tried everything to get my other rear fog light working using NCS expert, at my wits end with this 2013 MCS.