MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Electrical
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
New to forum
2 Replies, 3 Views
fuel guage
by mini_d6
3 Replies, 82 Views
Expat MCS
1 Replies, 23 Views
Best toy ever!
6 Replies, 140 Views
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slyp Dawg
Gallery
Tired of replacing in-bumper fog lights... External/grill-mount FOG lights?

I'll start this off by saying that I HAVE in fact read the low beams/driving lights thread, and learned about driving lights and their brightness/beam pattern. This lead me to wonder, are there any external mount, round lights that have the proper beam pattern to be used in lieu of fog lights? What i want to accomplish is to be able to remove the in-bumper fog lights and get an external/lower grill mount light to serve the same function, but be less easily damaged.

I have no interest in blinding oncoming cars, but I also have no interest in needing to replace my bumper-mount fog lights, or the plastic panel to which they mount, every time some small woodland creature wants to play chicken with me on a dark/narrow road. If there aren't any commercially available, external mount fog lights on the market, how would one go about changing the beam pattern of a driving light to that of the typical fog light?

I don't intend to habitually run with my front fogs on, but there are instances where I need more light than the low beams can provide, but can't turn on my high beams due to oncoming traffic or traffic in front of me.

Is
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...og-lights.html

They are metal housings & glass projector bubbles, far tougher than the plastic factory ones. As far as being blinding, read my review, or there is a led option from V-LED:
http://www.v-leds.com/
'05 JCW Cabrio, Pure Silver, Drag DR11 Gun Metal Grey wheels, H Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, H Sport 25mm Rear Sway bar, Ireland Engine Bushings, TSW Solid Motor Mount, DT/BPV, RMW Head, Match Ported Intake Manifold, TPR / ACG, Sprintex S/C w/ 60mm Pulley, Custom Zex 2 stage NOS system, Mynes V2 Header, GPIC, JCW exhaust, 550cc Injectors, Mynes Tune & Byteronik F/A software, 7200 redline (And a Huge Thanks to Chad for a lot of the original work.)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
You could use the factory driving lights to perform the same function with some very minor wiring tweaks.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via ICQ to JumpingJackFlash Send a message via Yahoo to JumpingJackFlash
Gallery
Garage
If you have Xenon headlights from the factory, you can always upgrade the fog lights to Xenon as well. That's what I did, and the road is in fact brighter. The kit plugs into the factory wiring; there is no splicing the harness involved. Scroll the the bottom of this thread if you're interested: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ade-story.html.

BTW, the lights I have mounted below my license plate are off-road style, which means I turn on my own switch independent of the factory wiring.
'06 MCS, AB/DS, #1/#2/#3, RMW Tuned, 15%, DDM CAI, GP IC w/DDM GP div., DT BPV, Brisk silver plugs, Invidia exh., M7 Ext. Scoop, GReddy AFR/boost gauges, M7/Cobalt F/R st. bars, H&R 25mm R swaybar, Hotchkis lower R ctrl arms, BBS RK rims, Alpine HU/CD changer, Kicker speakers/amp/sub, Rock-Fos 1F cap, Westin driving lights, Angel Eyes lights, EFX Xenon fog lights, Gear Jammin' LED tail lights
http://www.cybertekit.net/mini/signature2.jpg
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
These will fit in the lower grill.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=224

Hella is a well respected name in auxiliary lighting. These are reasonably priced.
MC#290
'06 MCS SB/S, SS+, LSD, DSC, OBC, CWP, MFSW, Xenons, R84(summer), R81(winter w/studded Hakkapeliitta 2s), silver bonnet stripe, f&r fogs, MINI roof rack, www.LightInSight.com, Ultrik shrt shft, Momo ****, clr headlamp covers, frt mud flaps, 2-touch up, Uni panel filter, Garmin Nuvi 2450, Magnaflow cat back, Koni Sport shocks, H-sport Competition rear bar
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM