Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
If I plug this toggle into the factory harness, could I then just use the appropriate wires
It doesn't work that way. None of the toggle switches are directly connected to the wiring harness. The toggle panel is connected to a digital bus. When you flip a switch, the panel sends a digital message on the bus. Various modules (mostly the footwell module) listen for messages on the bus and perform the actual functions.

Something you can do is install the toggle and program the rear fog lights. Then you have a working rear fog and you can use the rear fog wiring as the input to your relay.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (06-07-2021)
Old 07-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it has to be programmed to enable the toggle, even though I just wanted to use two wires coming from the toggle and then use all of my own wires to connect to the relay to control my new lights.

But from what you two say, it isn't that easy. So just to be sure:

1) I have to purchase the toggle and connect to factory harness.
2) Have RFL enabled via laptop, ect.
3) Then tap off of the appropriate wires of the RFL to activate my relay.

Is above correct? Also, if so, then what wires would I be looking for from the RFL to activate my relay? And does all of the above mean that my lights will only come on when my main lights are on? In other words, the toggle will only be active when the main lights are on.

Greg

Old 07-31-2016, 01:37 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The toggle is not a old school switch with wires, it connects to the circuit board of the toggle switch bank. The circuit board is controlled by a module(computer) that controls several things in the car. Once this module is told your car has RFL's, it will respond to the new toggle switch and activate the circuit. The wiring should be in the car already, but buried in a wiring harness. Therefore, the easiest place to tap into that will be the RFL connector at the back bumper. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to run your wiring all the way to the front.

If you are really familiar with tiny electronics, circuit boards, and modifying, you might be able to use the toggle the old school way and bypass the control module, but that'll probably take a lot of time and research.

By using the factory RFL option, the toggle will only work when the RFL's are available, so you'll probably have to have the parking lights on, if not the headlights. On my '05, the front fogs work with the parking lights or the low beam headlights, but not sure about the rear.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 07-31-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Expanding on RB-MINI's post... the toggles aren't traditional mechanical contact switches. They are merely plastic levers that press on capacitive pads on a circuit board. The electronics on the circuit board detects that a toggle has been pressed, and communicates the action to the car through a data bus (communications network). There is no such concept as "connect the toggle to the factory harness".

I can't find pictures of an R56 toggle panel taken apart, but here is a photo gallery for the R53 version: http://www.gbmini.net/G2/v/2005album...leSwitchPanel/. It should help you to understand why you can't simply connect wires to the toggle.

Therefore I suggested to make the rear fog work, if you are very determined to use the OEM toggle for your driving lights. Then use the rear fog to drive your relay. You would pick this up from the rear fog wiring harness at the rear bumper. If you don't want to run your wires all the way back there, the other end of the harness is at the footwell module, but you'll have to figure out where it is in the wiring bundle. I believe that fog lights will only turn on if your low beam headlights (not high beams) are on. Check your Owners Manual.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Thank you. Very informative and greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 AM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Revising an older thread - 13 MCS Covertible

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Oh, convertible?

There is a single fog switch on those which is dual purpose.
Up on up off for front, down on down off for rear.

If the switch cover has 2 light icons over the switch, then its already programmed.
If the cover only has 1 light over the switch, only programming is needed.
No new switch is required.

Assuming the rear fog lights are installed on the bumper.

To test if the rears work, the fronts MUST be on first.
Lift the switch up to turn on fronts, then push down to turn on rears.

If that works, lifting the switch up turns them both off.

At least this is how my neighbor's work.

Good luck
Revising this older thread... perhaps there is a newer thread, but i have not yet committed to the search.
My 2013 R57, has the no blanks, the front fogs are controllable... single up=on, next up =off... same for the down press, single down =on, next down =off.
The rear fogs do have bulbs, the white portion operates as reverse lights... the red portion does nothing.

is this also a programming option?
thanks in advance,

Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 PM
MKLight
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wtorres141
Revising this older thread... perhaps there is a newer thread, but i have not yet committed to the search.
My 2013 R57, has the no blanks, the front fogs are controllable... single up=on, next up =off... same for the down press, single down =on, next down =off.
The rear fogs do have bulbs, the white portion operates as reverse lights... the red portion does nothing.

is this also a programming option?
thanks in advance,
Hey! Yes. You will need to get a spare toggle switch and have the computer programmed. Once the toggle is there and it’s programmed, it will work perfectly.

Best regards,
MK

Old 04-23-2018, 06:42 AM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MKLight

Hey! Yes. You will need to get a spare toggle switch and have the computer programmed. Once the toggle is there and it’s programmed, it will work perfectly.

Best regards,
MK
Thanks for the reply, however my convertible is not missing any toggles the toggle bank:
1. Driver window
2. All windows up
3. Door locks
4. Front Fogs
5. Passenger window

was hoping it would work as @TVPostSound mentioned above.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Graspieper
Neutral
Thanks for the reply, however my convertible is not missing any toggles the toggle bank:
1. Driver window
2. All windows up
3. Door locks
4. Front Fogs
5. Passenger window

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Did you already figure it out, what the solution is for your convertible mini?
Or does anyone else knows the code for activate the dual toggle?

I have imported a US mini cooper 2014 R57 and here in the Netherlands working rear foglight are required.
I'll already done it with a 2011 R56 and it was no problem,
Any help w'll be fine

Thanks in advance,
JL

Old 05-21-2018, 09:11 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
1. Driver window
2. All windows up
3. Door locks
4. Front Fogs
5. Passenger window

Convertible?

There is a single fog switch on those which is dual purpose.
Up on up off for front, down on down off for rear.

You should be able to just program the rear fogs.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone! Just did it with the 'hook' as I couldn't get the other tools to work. Off for programing. Hopefully I did the orientation right.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM
r55forme
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2014 Clubman S and it does not have the rear fog light option. I opened the tail light up, there's a bulb and socket in there, and my wiring harness has 5 wires coming into both the right and left side tail lights (but it looks like there is a slot for a 6th). It was dark out so I didn't think to take a picture, but I wanted to check and confirm that I have the wiring necessary to go from the rear to the footwell module before I take on the task of adding the toggle and trying to reprogram it. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2019, 02:56 PM
Pepper09
1st Gear
Location: Near Asheville NC in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains!
Working half way

Working on my ‘09 chili pepper. Back in the summer I got the lenses that had the light sockets and even bulbs on eBay from a seller in England. I put them in and thought my car looked better even though I couldn’t turn them on. A couple of weeks ago, a center console I had been watching, again on eBay from a seller in Lithuania was offered at $30 plus $35 shipping. It had been at $115 plus $35 shipping, so needless to say I jumped on it!

I installed it today and when I hit the rear fog switch I was surprised to see the dash indicator come on. I went and checked, and sure enough, the left rear fog light was on!!! I thought maybe the other bulb was bad so I swapped the bulbs and still only have the left light!

Anybody else had this happen? Is this still a programming issue or is it in the wiring?

Old 11-29-2019, 04:15 PM
MKLight
1st Gear
Electrical Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

Originally Posted by Pepper09
Working on my ‘09 chili pepper. Back in the summer I got the lenses that had the light sockets and even bulbs on eBay from a seller in England. I put them in and thought my car looked better even though I couldn’t turn them on. A couple of weeks ago, a center console I had been watching, again on eBay from a seller in Lithuania was offered at $30 plus $35 shipping. It had been at $115 plus $35 shipping, so needless to say I jumped on it!

I installed it today and when I hit the rear fog switch I was surprised to see the dash indicator come on. I went and checked, and sure enough, the left rear fog light was on!!! I thought maybe the other bulb was bad so I swapped the bulbs and still only have the left light!

Anybody else had this happen? Is this still a programming issue or is it in the wiring?

For the R56S, that would be a coding issue. When I had my 2013 R56S coded, we had the same issue. I’m not sure what he did, but was able to get it working perfectly. Yours will be that way soon, too. 👍

Old 02-07-2021, 08:54 AM
Native Texan
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Excellent write up with pictures. Saved me a ton of time. THANKS