Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
MKLight
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Check your bulb first by swapping sides.
The read this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ompletley.html

Thank you. I'll read it now.

I just read. I will try tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

Best regards.

Last edited by MKLight; 08-19-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM
MKLight
1st Gear
Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Install

Originally Posted by MKLight
Thank you. I'll read it now.

I just read. I will try tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

Best regards.

Still waiting for a friend to help. We should meet up this week. He says it shouldn't be an issue. I can't wait!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 PM
MKLight
1st Gear
Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install

Originally Posted by MKLight
Still waiting for a friend to help. We should meet up this week. He says it shouldn't be an issue. I can't wait!
Got it done today (finally). It looks great!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM
richie6
1st Gear
I have tossed around the idea of using the rear fog light switch to use for front driving lights I may add. May sound a bit different, but I could just tap of that wire, so the driving lights come on and the rear fog light. Or just disconnect the rear fog light and have the driving lights come on.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by richie6
I have tossed around the idea of using the rear fog light switch to use for front driving lights I may add. May sound a bit different, but I could just tap of that wire, so the driving lights come on and the rear fog light. Or just disconnect the rear fog light and have the driving lights come on.
The problem is that the driving lights will probably pull a lot of amps, probably more than the rear fog light wire is rated for. So you would have to use a relay.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Actually, I wanted to put a toggle in for now just for looks. Not sure if I'm going to code it in or not but if so I'll do it myself with NCS Expert.

Since I know which wires will get voltage, I'm trying to figure out if I can use it control something else, like a dual mode exhaust, front rally lights or something else. Anyone have ideas?

If I do end up just using it for the rear fogs (or other lights for that matter) then I'll buy the factory cover with the icon on it, I would just scratch it up if I tried to do it myself.
I have been trying to figure out if it is possible to program the rear fog light toggle for a dual mode exhaust since I would hate using the wireless remote. I also have to see if my GP2 has the wiring to tap into. I was just wondering if you looked into more to see if it was possible.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I don't see why you couldn't. When you push the toggle voltage is supplied to the wires where the light is. If you instead put these wires on the coil side of a relay then you can get it to do whatever you want.

A potential problem might be the logic of when and how the fog light will operate. For instance, do the headlights have to be on for the fog light to be on? Whatever the logic is it will transfer to what you want to do.

My 2013 has the wires, I'd imagine that the GP2 does also. I have not confirmed my theory.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
krawzdogg
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Do you have any idea what the logic is? I can't test it since I don't have rear fog or the toggle yet. Would it be possible to change the logic in NCS expert?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krawzdogg
Do you have any idea what the logic is? I can't test it since I don't have rear fog or the toggle yet. Would it be possible to change the logic in NCS expert?
I do not and I haven't bothered coding it in yet but maybe I will soon for some front rally lights.

Maybe someone with the rear fog active can chime in.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
The rear fog activation can only be modified to work without headlights.
The parking lights must still be on.

I have not found a way to turn fogs on by themselves.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tackled this job today on a 2015 Roadster S. All wiring and lights came in the car, just not the toggle.

The toogle was $15.49 at Global Mini (Atlanta) + tax.

The hook method to remove the toggle panel worked perfect. I tried other methods first since I didn't have a hook; but nothing worked until I got the hook tool. I wanted to buy the new panel with the rear fog logo but even my OCD could not justify $90+tax+shipping.

As far as programming....

I am pretty good with NCS expert but this was the first time changing/adding VO. So I followed USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.PDF to add $5AA to CAS and FRM.

I then defaulted CAS and FRM to factory settings (this is supposed to make the car default settings based on the VO - Vehicle Order...which I just changed by adding $5AA Rear Fog) I used instructions from bmwcoding.com called "NCS Expertmode coding DIY.pdf" to default the settings.

I then tested the rear fog....nothing on dash or on back of car.

I then found this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ompletley.html

It mentioned NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE in IHKS Module. So I went back to NCS Expert and read the IHKS Module which did contain NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE which was set to nicht_activ. I changed this to activ and wrote the new settings to IHKS.

Tested again and this time success!

I wish NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE was written in more threads as I feel defaulting CAS and FRM was a waste especially since my other custom settings in CAS and FRM were lost and I had to re-add after I was sure the rear fog was working properly.

Anyway, between NAM and BMWcoding there is a lot of knowledge and I couldn't have done this without these forums. It would be cool to get coding lessons at events like MOTD or Mickey and MINI.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.pdf (1,014.7 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by miniwpbear; 03-11-2015 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GeneralSpecific (11-27-2018)
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM
thays_91
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it necessary to add $5AA to the VO for both rear fogs to work? I hadn't added to the VO and am only getting the Left (drivers side) to light.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thays_91
Is it necessary to add $5AA to the VO for both rear fogs to work? I hadn't added to the VO and am only getting the Left (drivers side) to light.

Yes.
Read the whole thread, theres more to it than just $5AA

Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM
thays_91
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Yes.
Read the whole thread, theres more to it than just $5AA
I re-read the thread. Originally I thought it was just so that if the dealer updated the car it would auto populate and they would still work. Then I realized I hadn't set the modules to default.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I finally got around to coding in the rear fog light. I have a 2013 MCS that I installed the JCW rear aerokit bumper so I only have the left (driver) side fog light. I had previously installed the toggle.

Here are my steps:

1.) Added $5AA to CAS and FRM
2.) In the IHKA module (I have the auto temp) I changed the following: NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE to aktiv
3.) Defaulted both CAS and FRM (I did this after I got the fog light working to see if it was really necessary which it isn't)

Then in the FRM module I needed to disable the bulb checks for the right (passenger) side since the aerokit does not have a fog light on that side:

KALTUE_NSL_R_M1_10 to nicht_aktiv
WARMUE_NSL_R_M1_10 to nicht_aktiv

Everything works great.

The rear fog(s) will work just fine if you don't default the modules. In fact, if you don't default the modules then the bulb checks will remain disabled but if the modules are defaulted at a later date, like at the dealer, then you will have to go back and disable the bulb checks. What happens is that when you default the FRM module it looks at the VO to see what bulb checks to enable or disable and loads them accordingly. So you might as well get it over with.

Last edited by cerenkov; 03-27-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am trying this on another MINI after I was successful on a 2015 R59 S. This time I have a 2012 R58 S. I did the same steps, added $5AA to CAS and FRM, then in IHKA enabled NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE but the changing to aktiv for NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE never sticks. After coding it doesn't work and I re-read the IHKA and NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE is set back to nicht_aktiv again.

I coded my windows and seatbelts fine so I know datens should be good.

Any ideas??????

EDIT:

Troubleshooting fixed it with help from another thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4118353

Last edited by miniwpbear; 08-29-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM
candela
Neutral
I'm the owner of a '12 MCS convertible with factory front fog lights. Where most model's front fog light toggle is located, I have the "all windows up/down" toggle. Where everyone is placing the rear fog light toggle (a blank), I have the fronts. The toggle goes up and down but only have fronts. Is this just a coding issue to make the rears work, or do I need a different toggle in addition to coding?
Thanks in advance, t

Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
The switch goes in the blank
Then coding.
Question, do you have the rear fogs already in place?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM
candela
Neutral
Yes it does. There is no blank. Where the blank would normally be is my front fog lights; and this toggle moves up and down.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by candela
Yes it does. There is no blank. Where the blank would normally be is my front fog lights; and this toggle moves up and down.
2012 MCS
Driver window switch 1
The front fig is switch 2 yes up s on up is off
Down is in down is off.
Door locks switch 3
The rear fig switch goes into blank 4, same toggle method.
Passenger window is switch 5

Old 03-03-2016, 02:34 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
He has a convertible, so if I understand the poster correctly, then one the toggles is "All Windows Up".

So candela has:

1. Driver window
2. All windows up
3. Door locks
4. Front Fogs
5. Passenger window

Not sure how this is done without a blank. You would have to get rid of the all windows up then do some coding. Do you have a no-working rear fog installed now?

Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
candela
Neutral
Your order is correct cerenkov. I haven't checked for that yet, now that I think about it. LOL I have not seen the "bulb" icon turn on when I activate the fog lights like I did when one of the position lights went out. Perhaps burt fog lights don't "advise"
t

Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Oh, convertible?

There is a single fog switch on those which is dual purpose.
Up on up off for front, down on down off for rear.

If the switch cover has 2 light icons over the switch, then its already programmed.
If the cover only has 1 light over the switch, only programming is needed.
No new switch is required.

Assuming the rear fog lights are installed on the bumper.

To test if the rears work, the fronts MUST be on first.
Lift the switch up to turn on fronts, then push down to turn on rears.

If that works, lifting the switch up turns them both off.

At least this is how my neighbor's work.

Good luck

Last edited by TVPostSound; 03-11-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by colejd
I had heard there was an easier way but maybe there isn't. What year is your Clubman. How much time would it take to install the cover and switch the way you mention? Please post the details of how the programming goes (time, difficulty).
Not to hijack this thread, but I want to order this toggle and install in the blank where the RFL would normally go. However, I want this to control a set of aftermarket driving lights that I have. If I plug this toggle into the factory harness, could I then just use the appropriate wires (don't know which ones) to send the signal to my relay to turn on my driving lights?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
That might work, but if the 2nd gen toggle switch is like the 1st gen, you'll need to activate the rfl function in your car with a MINI programmer/computer to make the switch work. It will just be a dummy switch unless the option is turned on.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 07-30-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Rear Fog Light Switch Plate and Toggle Switch Install