Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Typically that happens when the datens being used cannot read a particular module, which sadly seems to be a recurring issue when working with this software. I was also unable to program the FRM module with these datens.

I'm hoping that if/when I get some newer datens, these issues will go away.

It could be worse: I just upgraded from an '08 MCS to a '11 JCW and now I can't even get NCS Expert to read my VIN. Awesome!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comasynthesis
Typically that happens when the datens being used cannot read a particular module, which sadly seems to be a recurring issue when working with this software. I was also unable to program the FRM module with these datens.

I'm hoping that if/when I get some newer datens, these issues will go away.

It could be worse: I just upgraded from an '08 MCS to a '11 JCW and now I can't even get NCS Expert to read my VIN. Awesome!
I ended up reinstalling my older version of EDIABAS and upgrading just the DATEN and SGDAT files with the V38 and that worked. So until there is a set of DATEN files that can read all the modules, I'll just swap between V34 and V38 as needed. As long as nobody finds any other great mods, I think I've done all the programming I need for a while.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
SnugNuts
2nd Gear
awesome

Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
K + Dcan

I have a K+DCAN cable, but have not yet used NCS expert. The driver loaded properly, and I have the correct COM port. I connected the OBD2 port to my R56, and I used a terminal program in an attempt to see any traffic. But I see nothing. I tried 9600 baud, 115Kbaud and several others.

I see nothing - but when I send keyboard input to the device, it echoes back.

Shouldn't I be able to see CAN bus traffic? Or do I have to send it some command in order to get output?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So that I can better understand some of this, it seems that EDIABAS is specifically for making the connection and doing the communication. I've seen people switching between v34 and v38 (and higher) and getting different results. Is there a version that seems to overall work better?

Also, it seems that the SGDAT and DATEN files are specifically to help NCSExpert recognize the codes coming across. There's a low likelihood that BMW techs are switching between these versions, so there must be some magical combination that does this right.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
NCS Expert

Awesome "how-to"! I don't know how many times I've sat and tried to get this software to work with the cable to communicate with the car.

With your PDF, I was up and running in less than an hour. The only thing I could get to this morning was to read the VIN from the ECU but that's much farther than I've gotten in the past.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to put all of that information together and sharing it!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
robspec
3rd Gear
nice work

Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Has anyone tried to use the cable from the Dimsport flash tool with an adapter for your laptop? I was thinking about trying this instead of buying a new cable. I need to get setup the NCS software on my laptop first.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 AM
NintenTom
4th Gear
So just wondering if it's confirmed that we'll need the V41 daten for 2011 models of the MCS? Or can i still go about with V40/V38 or lower etc?

Last edited by NintenTom; 05-13-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lower is fine. I have used as far back as v34 on my '11. I v41 and it doesn't do squat compared to lower versions.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Lower is fine. I have used as far back as v34 on my '11. I v41 and it doesn't do squat compared to lower versions.
Were you able to access the FRM module? I get an error when trying to read from it. I'm trying to disable the bulb checks on startup. Also do you know the values to disable the TPMS as well?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Having problems with the download. Any thoughts???

Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 AM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
Which item are you trying to download? If it's small enough i can probably upload to a sharing host and link you it.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Torrent pulled it last night. Thanks!!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Not sure if I missed a step. Program says it cannot use my current version of Windows 7 I'm using the 64 bit version. Is there a fix for this or am I a## out?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Not sure if I missed a step. Program says it cannot use my current version of Windows 7 I'm using the 64 bit version. Is there a fix for this or am I a## out?
I don't think the program runs in a 64-bit OS. You could try running it in Windows XP-compatibility mode. I've seen others mention that in other forums. I can't confirm though since I've just been using an old laptop with XP exclusively for EDIABAS.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Comasynthesis
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There should always be at least 1 seeder on the torrent, me. To the extent that others have the means to stay on and help seed, that would be greatly appreciated so that others in the community can be assured a speedy download.

If you are getting that message when you try to install BMW Standard Tools, you haven't enabled Windows XP Compatibility Mode for "setup.exe". This is mentioned in Step 1 on page 6 of the guide. The installer does a basic OS check when it launches and will refuse to continue if it doesn't detect Windows XP. Enabling Compatibility Mode "spoofs" that detection, among other things.

If you are having issues with other executables, I would strongly suggest enabling Windows XP Compatibility Mode on them, especially on a 64-bit system. If that doesn't work, I wouldn't have any other ideas for you other than setting up a dedicated PC for this purpose or using virtualization software.

I run NCS Expert on my MacBook Pro in a Parallels VM running Windows 7 32-bit, and I've had no issues.

Last edited by Comasynthesis; 05-18-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BBoshart
I ended up reinstalling my older version of EDIABAS and upgrading just the DATEN and SGDAT files with the V38 and that worked. So until there is a set of DATEN files that can read all the modules, I'll just swap between V34 and V38 as needed. As long as nobody finds any other great mods, I think I've done all the programming I need for a while.

Would you mind sharing how you swapped back and forth between the v34 and other Daten files? I've tried copying them into the R56 folder and all but it doesn't change my results. I still get the Best Error when trying to access the FRM and SPEG modules. I'm working on an 09 R56. I've been able to get into the other modules and do the coding, it's just those two that are playing "hard to get".

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to do the switching back and forth of datens to cover all modules, but I think I've found the trick to getting the V41 files working in all cases. Try the steps listed in the following post and let us know how you make out: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...076-post5.html

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay
Would you mind sharing how you swapped back and forth between the v34 and other Daten files? I've tried copying them into the R56 folder and all but it doesn't change my results. I still get the Best Error when trying to access the FRM and SPEG modules. I'm working on an 09 R56. I've been able to get into the other modules and do the coding, it's just those two that are playing "hard to get".

Thanks!
I remove the files from the DATEN and SGDAT folders, and save them in a safe place. Then I move the files from the other version into DATEN and SGDAT. It hasn’t worked with the newer version of EDIABAS floating around now. It only works with the older version I have and I've been able to code both FRM and SPEG. But it looks like Chernobyl has found a better way by using the V41 (I haven’t tried yet since I haven’t done any programming for a while).

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Truly excellent instructions. Very clear and straightforward. I got the cable drivers installed and the programs setup on the first attempt. I'll try and read the car tonight when it gets a little cooler outside!

This post belongs up with the others stickies!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
OneTraveler
2nd Gear
So may be a stupid question, but these tools are the ones that a Mini Tech uses? I ask 'cause there are only two things id like to "mod" (horn on keyfob door lock, and "heartbeat" on dash w/o fully equipped alarm) on my Countryman. I live about 1500 miles from the nearest dealer, so id hate to risk bricking the car's computer working on it on my own. The dealer im working with seems pretty cool and may be able to get a tech to do these two small items for me. Especially if I could tell em exactly what to tweak...

Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think you can get the horn to sound with the FOB. That's just not part of the BMW system. You would need to add the siren to make that noise.

And I don't think the dealers have these tools. So I would not expect them to be able to do any of these modifications, and even if they could do them, they would not do it for liability, etc.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
OneTraveler
2nd Gear
That's sort of what I figured, but always nice to hear from people much more familiar. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
teebo7
3rd Gear
need a little help here...so in the instructions it says to select the COM port from a previous step however, i never get the option to select a com port again...any ideas?

Quick Reply: Electrical The [Complete] NCS Expert DIY