Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can

As I have recently discovered the power of NCS Expert, you can change lots of programming options in the car including removing the seat belt reminder chime, making the four-way flashers blink in a different pattern, and removing the light bulb checks.

Here is the "comfort closing" option that is not available here in the US. It is a matter of programming one option in the footwell module.

If anybody is curious you can see the double flashers here.

City lights only as DRM

Also, here is the car without the seat belt chime! Also programmed in NCS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeVlI...layer_embedded

So here is an update to the additional changes I have done to my car in the mean time : I was able to retrofit the IBOC tuner with NCS as well. The dealer cannot and will not be able to do this for you! That was best done via modifying the Vehicle Order and resetting the radio module (since I don't have NAV).

Also retrofitted the factory bluetooth & usb kit with NCS, also by changing the VO and defaulting the RAD2. Works perfect.

The nice thing about modifying the trace files in NCS is that you forget what you have changed and something goes wrong, you can "default" the module back to factory specs (and the default is based on your Vehicle Order [VO] which defines the region of your vehicle [like how Canada cannot turn off DRL from the BC on the stalk] and the modules installed in the car).

The following are the changes I have made.

Comfort closing via the remote fob (also can be done via the metal key in the door cylinder). In the CAS module
Code:
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
    aktiv
Seat belt chime is in the Airbag ABG/MRS module. Driver and passenger is set separately. CC_GURT stops the seat belt message at startup.
Code:
CC_GURTWARNUNG
         nicht_aktiv
SBR_BEIFAHRER 
         nicht_aktiv
SBR_FAHRER
         nicht_aktiv
And now the two-touch open and two-touch close sunroof is working, in the SHD module
Code:
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF
        aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_HEB
        aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_SENK
        aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_ZU
        aktiv
No A/C engagement when pressing the AUTO button! In the IHKA module
Code:
KLIMA_MIT_AUTO
        nicht_aktiv
Digital speed always shows in the top window (so I can see instant miles per gallon and the speed at the same time, word has it 2011 models this is default) in the KOMBI module
Code:
DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT
        aktiv
Enable fog lights with the high beams. In the FRM module
Code:
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ
        nicht_aktiv
Double-Blink Hazard flashers. In the FRM module
Code:
DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK
        aktiv
Here are some additional changes that can be made:

Auto unlock doors when you remove the key. Only unlocks when the autolock is programed in the BoardComputer! In the CAS module
Code:
ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR 
        aktiv
Added the code to enable the alarm light on the top of the tach. In the SPEG and KOMBI change the following:
Code:
DWA_VERBAUT
    aktiv
Nav users can remove the legal warning upon startup. CAPPL Module
Code:
LEGAL_DISCL
         nicht_aktiv
To change your DRL mode to using just the front City Lights (the top bulb in the fog housing) and no other lights change the following two settings in the FRM module:
Code:
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL
              drl_s
DRL_TFL_MIT_SML
              aktiv
To turn off bulb checks you will need to disable both warm and cold testing of each of the bulbs you modify and the appropriate check control message. I highly recommend running the NCS DUMMY translations to find the settings you need, there are way too many to post here. All of the lighting is in the FRM module. The abbreviations for most of the lights are in the translations. In the Cooper we do have dual dual-function rear bulbs in the tailights and they are controlled independently (if you turn off your car and turn on your parking lights you will see only one of the bulbs lit in the rear). Those are RL_BL_1 and RL_BL_2. KZL is license plate light, NSW rear fog, NSL front fog.
CC_MELDUNG_BLK_V is an example of the "Check Control" in your tach display for warning.

I wanted to get the BFD (brake force display) to work by flashing the rear fog light or flashers under hard braking, I never could get it to work. Be advised we don't have BFD lights like many BMW assemblies have. But it looks like BFD_2 is what we would use.

Jbourne setup a spreadsheet with more commands. Click to request access.
Spreadsheet Link

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This setup will work with most modern BMWs (the closest to R56 is E60 and E9x) and R55 Clubman/R56 Hatch/R57 Cabrio/R60 Countryman/R58 Coupé/R59 Speedster

----
I would not recommend attempting this setup if you don't know what a rar file is, run explorer.exe with file extensions showing, and a laptop dedicated only to this.
----

Regular laptop with Windows XP 32bit. I am using a few year old Dell.

The cable I purchased was this one $119:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/160538039935

Installed this driver and software following their PDF directions to the letter:

http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...ortsid=&sorts=

When you extract the archive file, extract it to a short path like c:\inpacd because the installer does not like a long path.

FYI That software will install EDIABAS, INPA and NCS Expert. EDAIBAS is the underlaying interface that allows INPA [diagnostic software, some modules work with the R56 but not all] & NCS Expert to communicate with the car. (EDIABAS can also serve the data out to a GT1/DIS v57 virtual machine for R56 diagnostics like window reprogramming, airbag resets, engine lights, I have that running as well with this cable)

Then you need to update NCS Expert with definitions for the R56 with the following:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...36&postcount=8

So then you need to learn how to use NCS Expert. The following forum post will really help with using NCS and the tool NCS DUMMY that translates the German configuration on known values.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1483234

That post gives you basically everything you need to reconfigure the Cooper settings.

One thing to note is that he mentions the ZCS, that is the older BMW method for storing the car's computer configuration. The new system the R56 uses the Vehicle Order (stored in both the CAS and FRM for redundancy). It is a long string of option codes that you can find of RealOEM or the ETK for what equipment your car has (like $653 is for HDradio/IBOC). But I digress...Everything I learned is from this forum:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

There is a lot of information that does not apply to the R56 along with the newer BMW generations. I recommend doing a search on NCS expert on that forum and read up on it. As a warning, you can seriously KILL any of the modules with this software. If you stick to the exact instructions you will be fine, but you need to be very careful.

SSS/Program is the programing coding software that would work with our cars up until software releases late in 2008. But if your car has been to the dealer since then for any updates you are SOL, trust me I thought I could do it but was unsuccessful .

As an update to this post, make sure you find the EDIABAS 7.2.0 and at least V41 Datens to ensure you can read all or most of the modules. V43 is also available and is required for the latest updated cars.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 11-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by strobeyprobey:
aabcds (06-06-2020), anew742 (01-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
congrats we did the same on my r53 ages ago, with ncs and sss.

Last edited by JustinGTP; 10-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure, I am interested ! could you post the link to where to buy the cable and specific software setup instructions for R56 please ?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bor
sure, I am interested ! could you post the link to where to buy the cable and specific software setup instructions for R56 please ?

Thanks!
+1

Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Moved to the first post.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 03-10-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
i'de love to know how to remove light bulb checks. is it difficult?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
What we need is to organize regional "Programming Parties" where some kind sole would show up with the tools/software, and program every attendees MINI they way they want.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mods should move this to the "how-to" section. Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to buy that cable soon. Do you need to buy the BMW obdII to USB? I've seen non-bmw brands for about 50 bucks.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
For the R56/55/57 and newer BMWs you need the D-CAN cable that is EDIABAS/INPA capable. A generic OBDII cable will not work for you, that will just provide the generic OBD codes, it will not provide the programming and specific BMW support.

To remove the bulb checks it is just as easy, just one or two settings to change. Since the lighting module is capable of supporting LEDs that are used in other cars it is just a matter of figuring out which bulb Cold/warm Checks (thats the thing that causes the LEDs to flicker as it sends current down to test normal bulbs) to disable or which Check Control messages (the warnings on the dash). I saw them all in there when I changed the warning flashers. I will pull up the files soon and compile some more details.

The nice thing about this cable is that if you really scour that Diagnostic forum and get DIS V57 installed it can use this cable to provide you the same software the dealer uses (or used up until about a year ago) to diagnose EVERYTHING in the car. You can turn on individual interior or exterior lights, check the speakers, it will diagnose low voltage conditions, tell you every error code and status updates in every module in the car, you can reset the engine and transmission adaptations, and even *RESET THE WINDOWS!!!!* That is a big one for me since I have had lots of trouble in the past.

Next up I am going to try whether or not I can enable one touch close and opening of the sunroof. From my research in WDS it looks like it can be done! And yes, a programming party would be fun!!

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-06-2020)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 PM
robspec
3rd Gear
nice

Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 AM
laserjok
Neutral
hi strobeyprobey,

Im "quite" new here, in fact it's my first post ! but I'm reading a lot since two week.

My project in quite different from your bluetooth one, I want to add the multifunction steering wheel on my R56, the INPA cable is on his way as well as the steering wheel buttons.

but, witch chassis did you select in NCS Expert as even after upgrading the definitions files I'm still not able to see any R56 chassis in the list.

I think you faced the same problem because I saw you asking about the .000 files witch I believe are the one creating the chassis entry

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=20581556

thanks,
Franck

Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
R56 should show up in NCS after you get the Daten v34 files from the post I referenced above. As long as you named the folder R56. Make sure you are using the right NCS expert (as I had two of them). The .000 files were not required. I also have tried the v38 files which did include the .000 files (there is a post somewhere on that site that referes the ISTA/P v38 download links). But I don't have those packaged at this time. And they really didn't benefit me.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 AM
laserjok
Neutral
I'm getting clother, so finally to be able to select the R56 chassis and after copying the R56 folder into daten folder I now have added two lines in the coapi.ini file to include the R56. I can now select the R56 chassis

R56_PFAD_DATEN = ..\daten\r56
and
R56_PFAD_TAB = ..\TAB

now waiting for my cable to arrive from china....

Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
I wonder, can this sort of thing be acheived through an access port?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Not sure what an access port it, but I doubt it.

Also, check the first post as I updated it with another video showing I removed the seat belt chime with NCS Expert.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
laserjok
Neutral
Hi strobeyprobey,

I now have NCS expert, INPA and DIS working fine with my R56, Im just wondering if finally you get rid of the error message in SSS with your R56 ?

On my side SSS is communicating (interface led blinking) with my car but then I get the same error message you reported : op(p)s / icom needed

with NCS I can read my szl module, and would be interressed in seeing your trace file for the same module

Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
The commands you need to change to close the windows with the FOB is found in the CAS (car access module).

KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
nicht_aktiv

need to change to aktiv.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
robspec
3rd Gear
ok just got my cable in,im having trouble downloading the softwear,any input?cant find the pdf instructions

Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
The download is slow but it should work for you:

http://www.sinodownloads.com/down/do...pa%20k+can.rar

The PDF is in the archive.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Also to change the airbag computer (MRS or ABG) to not chime the driver seat belt unfastened:

SBR_FAHRER nicht_aktiv

To enable the double flashers DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK command in the FRM.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 03-10-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
robspec
3rd Gear
i got the download part,but cant open it up one the down load is complete, are the pdf files on the website cant seem to locate archive on the site

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks amazing! I'm doing some serious studying over at bimmer. It's good to know you've had success with NCS Expert. I hope to do the same eventually.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
That is a standard RAR archive file, like a ZIP file. Go download 7-Zip, it is a free utility to extract the files within the .rar!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
This might be the "dumb question of the week" in this thread but I've gotta ask. Will this work on any of the 2nd Gens? R56, R57 and on or just R56?

Last edited by cmcveay; 11-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
These commands will work on all R55,56,57. Also on E90 & E60. Plus many more, the settings available do vary depenDing on model and year and version of each particular module. I am sure many of these settings can be applied to the first gen Cooper as well.

Quick Reply: Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can