Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can

Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 AM
liquid wrench
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
programing questions

It sounds like you guys know the computer workings of the R53 s o4
I somehow put it into a track mode? the trction is turned off as well as the airbags and the tire preasure. I was trying to turn off the auto door locks and hit the wrong button while I was in the LESE 19 mode I believe it was 19 I was pushing buttons like an Idiot. The dealer has taken two shots at it and can't figure it out. when in the LESE 19 mode there is ON/OFF flashing but I can't get it to stop on Off or On ......any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
The 2011 is pre programmed to have

DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT
aktiv

b/c of this it always shows your speed in the tach as you drive.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
rogo
1st Gear
I've been reading up on this as I wanna eventually do the windows up, but I had a question, is the 120$ cable better than the $62.50 cable from http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...ortsid=&sorts=

Thats the link you gave for the downloadable instructions. It says for BMW

Also, the EBay link no longer links to the cable (it did the last time I looked here)

Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
The 2011 is pre programmed to have

DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT
aktiv

b/c of this it always shows your speed in the tach as you drive.
Oh wow! I haven't driven an '11 yet.

That $62 cable looks to be the same thing, and it should work for you. MINI=BMW as far as the computer systems go. The support for R56/E60/E90 is the important indicator.

Here is an updated eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/160514238964

Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Did anything change drastically on the 2011 models that would keep me from doing what you guys are? Anyone know?
I don't think there are any changes that would keep you from doing this with an '11 model. BUT, and it is a big but, there could be issue with not having the latest DATEN files for the modules available.

There are some more recent versions of ISTA/P (I have seen v39) that have leaked out to the 'net which would probably contain the latest software that would be compatible with the 2011 model.

It is one of those things where it depends on what software version the modules on your car are running. The car itself will basically be the same because the 2011 is just an mid-model LCI (life cycle impulse) update, the computer systems remain the same. The Countryman R60 should also be the same as well. The new F10 (2010+ 5 series) and F01 (09+ 7 series) are not D-CAN compatible.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Step 3 of the installation instructions (file 'InpaCANinstall.pdf' inside the archive) is giving me trouble. It says to run 'Step_1\NFS\Entpackt\disk1\SETUP.EXE', then tells you to pick 'User Mode' and do a few other things in other windows that open up. Well, I run that file and it does nothing. Ok, not true… it pops up a security warning (Windows 7) asking if I want to allow the program to modify the hard drive. I say 'yes', then it does nothing.

I did copy the EC-APPS directory to my root C:\ directory (as per Step 2), and I even fiddled with the permissions a bit. Other instructions I found online mentioned adding c:\ediabas\bin to my 'path' environment variable and rebooting, so I did that too. Nothing.

Has anyone else run into this?
Can I skip this step? What is it supposed to do?

-------

EDIT:
Ok, I got it to work by copying the Entpackt directory to c:\ and renaming it 'BMW_Inst' (saw this name in the file 'Installationshinweise_V2.7.pdf' in the archive).

Last edited by fishbert; 01-11-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
still haven't been able to fix the sound from my HK amp , but I am enjoying the one-touch sunroof!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
what's the value for the one-touch sunroof!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
what's the value for the one-touch sunroof!
In the SHD module, there are 4 settings: SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_HEB, _SENK, _AUF, and _ZU (for open, close, tilt up, and tilt down functions… not necessarily in that order). One of them (for tilt open) is 'aktiv' by default.

Other useful ones I've run across:
CAS module, ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR — auto unlocks all doors when the engine shuts off.
IHKA module, KLIMA_MIT_AUTO — A/C on or off when you hit the 'Auto' climate control button.
CAPPL module, LEGAL_DISCL — disable the navigation warning message on start-up.

SHD module, REGENSCHLIESSEN and REGENSCHLIESSENTILT — auto closes sunroof when rain sense wipers activate (haven't tested yet).

FRM module, SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP — folds mirrors in/out on comfort closing with key fob (haven't gotten this to work).
FRM module, SPIEGEL_BORDSTEIN_AUTOM — mirror curb function; auto lowers driver side mirror on reverse gear (haven't gotten this to work).

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I doubt the mirror curb function would work since we don't have a memory function on our mirrors.

I'd bet the mirrors folding when locking the car would work but I wouldn't use it for the fact that the more moving parts you have the more prone to breaking it is. (just my opinion).

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
still haven't been able to fix the sound from my HK amp , but I am enjoying the one-touch sunroof!
COOL! I wanted to try that! I still want to try getting the BFD to work (brake force display, rear fog with heavy brake application).

Awesome find on the Auto A/C!!! I have to try that!!!!!!

I have notes on a few other good settings! Also for the seat belt reminder chime, I want to try disabling that by removing the $845 from the VO (as opposed to manually turning it off in the airbag module).

In FRM2 Fogs and high beams on simultaneously
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ

FRM2 Double hazard flashers DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK

I also want to add more lights to the welcome and follow-me-home lighting. But I haven't dug into those settings much yet.
WL_NSL
WL_NSW

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 01-18-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
I doubt the mirror curb function would work since we don't have a memory function on our mirrors.

I'd bet the mirrors folding when locking the car would work but I wouldn't use it for the fact that the more moving parts you have the more prone to breaking it is. (just my opinion).
those were both my expectations as well, but I haven't been able to get either to work.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Awesome find on the Auto A/C!!! I have to try that!!!!!!

I have notes on a few other good settings! Also for the seat belt reminder chime, I want to try disabling that by removing the $845 from the VO (as opposed to manually turning it off in the airbag module).
Yeah, the Auto A/C thing has been annoying me ever since I got the car... well, except in the summer. Glad to have found a way to keep it off unless I tell it to turn on.

As for the seatbelt reminder thing... I keep hearing warnings about the potential side effect of disabling the airbag when monkeying with that setting. Not sure that's an issue if you just go in and turn off the warning chime setting; but depending on what $845 is, removing that from the VO and then defaulting modules may introduce that problem. I'd be careful.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A general update...

Well, I ended up downgrading to Windows XP on my netbook. There seemed to be some ISTA/P interop issues with Windows 7 Starter. That, and my inability to my desktop background (WTF Microsoft?!) annoyed me. I haven't re-upped my 24 hour MINI TIS access since the re-install so I haven't been able to confirm my issues are resolved, but NCS Expert is working fine so that's good enough for now.

I ran accross the DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT value in NCS Dummy and enabled it on my '08, at which point the OB display acted exactly like the 2011 model I test drove. That'll definitely be the first setting I change when my new car rolls out of the showroom.

I also experimented with the SPIEGEL_BORDSTEIN_AUTOM, but found it didn't work as well. I figured it was because the mirrors are not computer controlled, which seems to jive with your findings fishbert. The powerfold feature would also not be computer controlled, basically everything controlled through that switch.

I also tried experimenting with the vehicle order. I tried removing the feature codes for my satellite and HD radios, but found the car didn't seem to care. I made the change in both the CAS and FRM modules, both features were still present and functioning afterward. I also tried disabling the rear fogs, but same difference, they kept right on working. Maybe the VO is a one way street in that once the car is told it has the features, it just won't forget.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
In order for the VO changes to make a difference you need to "re-default" the effected modules. If you go over the thread in the Nav and Audio section for my post about turning off trace file manipulation to accomplish this. Once you do this, for example, removing the fog lights, you would change the VO, then default the FRM module. Then they will be disabled. For the audio stuff (if you don't have NAV) you default the RAD2 module.

You connected the ebay cable with the BMW ISTA/P online system?!?!?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
You connected the ebay cable with the BMW ISTA/P online system?!?!?
No, I also have the Mongoose cable.

I have a similar setup as fishbert in that I have a Nav system, and don't have a 2RAD module. Unfortunately, my EDIABAS/NCS install is unable to talk to the CAUDI, CAPPL, or CGATE modules right now. I'm working on it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Go here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1513707

And here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1588836

I get "job not found" errors when trying to 'default' CAUDI and CGATE with SG_CODIEREN (going off memory; spelling may be off)… but I can read them just fine to get their .TRC files.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Ya, I got those. I should have everything I need in the way of PRG files. The odd thing is that INPA was able to interface with and test/reset the entertainment sytem, but NCS didn't want to touch it.

I may also have some updated daten from the ISTA/p v40 download floating around on bimmerforum.

I'll report back my results.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Struck duplicate post.

Last edited by Yzo; 01-20-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Dupe
Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I found having the old (software for the ebay cable) and the new (BMW's techinfo connection) on the same computer completely hosed my old setup and the new setup went crazy.

Yzo, Did the Mongoose cable work for you with ISTA/P okay? It was terribly flaky for me but I bet EDBAIS (sp) was completely confused. I just haven't had the time or need to play with it.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
Ya, I got those. I should have everything I need in the way of PRG files. The odd thing is that INPA was able to interface with and test/reset the entertainment sytem, but NCS didn't want to touch it.

I may also have some updated daten from the ISTA/p v40 download floating around on bimmerforum.
I've not touched anything other than NCS Expert yet. Might have to go figure my way around INPA soon.

Downloaded that v40 stuff last night. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, though.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I havent had much luck with INPA (it is just for diagnosis). It only connects to my radio and the radio gateway. Nothing else. No engine, no tranny, no abs, no airbag.

DIS (also just for diagnosis) v57 has worked great for me however, a bit of setup involved, but it was worth it. It runs in a VM. Based on EasyDISv44 then upgraded in place to v57. I have used it to reset my airbag light and clear adaptation values. It connects to every module!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
If anyone in Los Angeles has done this, I will pay you $60 to do mine!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
INPA seems to center around diagnostics. It allows me to read and clear error memory for various modules. I can also execute tests on modules as well.

For example, I can load up the instrument cluster module (Shift+F3, Body->Instrument Cluster, F6, F2) and then do stuff like running a full self test which causes all the indicators to light, the OB display and the odometer display to run test patterns, and both the speedo and tech needles to run their full ranges.

Other stuff I've been able to do with INPA is read the individual sensor values for the PDC system, run a fill display test on the nav system console, test individual speakers in the car, and hear some of the other audio tones and gongs that are in the car's memory that you've never heard before. Not every module works 100%, but there's some interesting stuff in there.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
For example, I can load up the instrument cluster module (Shift+F3, Body->Instrument Cluster, F6, F2) and then do stuff like running a full self test which causes all the indicators to light, the OB display and the odometer display to run test patterns, and both the speedo and tech needles to run their full ranges.
Well hell, I can do that by just holding the buttons on the tach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can