Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical How to replace the side marker bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
CBR600RR
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to replace the side marker bulbs?

Hi,
what's the best way to replace the bulbs of the side marker lights (those on the plastic wheel arches)? I did some research and found all sort of suggestions, ranging from putting the car on jackstands and working from inside the wheel arches, to a simple "they pop out in 1 sec".
Owner's manual and Bentley manual provide little info, they say basically to pry them out with a flat screwdriver, but I gave it a quick try and it didn't seem so easy (I didn't apply too much force as I didn't want to break them).
Thanks,
Alex

Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Alex. Dont even consider going in through the arch with the car on jackstands. Walk up to your car and hold the white oval lamp. Push it towards the back of the car, then either pull it outwards with your fingers. You can use ur nail to pull it out if need be. The front of the lamp will come outwards first. Then once that is out you will have the oval lamp, and a black bulb housing at the back. Twist it counter clockwise and it will undo in a flash. (I did this on the RHS of my car, it should be the same on both sides)

- Ben

Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 AM
CBR600RR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 07BPB
Walk up to your car and hold the white oval lamp. Push it towards the back of the car, then either pull it outwards with your fingers.
Ben, I think you're referring to the side turn signal, not the side markers on the wheel arches. I'm taking about the latter ones.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:43 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh right, sorry. I don't have those so Im no help then.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Few clips/plastic screw tabs to open up the plastic fender liner a bit and swap out the bulbs

Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM
EddyM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 2004 "S", the side markers in the wheel arches are held on with speed nuts on two plastic tabs - ie, the marker unit (colored plastic with light bulb and reflector) has two long plastic prongs that go through holes in the black plastic - and there are little speed nuts on the back side that are a bi+ch to see unless you have a good light and are looking for them. I had a marker get smacked in a parking lot by some idiot opening a door, and it was in a couple of pieces, so I just snapped the rest of it off - which is how I found the two prongs and speed nuts on the back. Otherwise, the Bentley manual would have had me believe I could just pop the market unit out from the outside with just a fine-bladed screwdriver. Not so. Ultimately, to get the top speed nut back on (for a front marker) I had to pull the fender liner - no biggie, but certainly not what the Bentley manual led me to believe.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 AM
CBR600RR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EddyM
On my 2004 "S", the side markers in the wheel arches are held on with speed nuts on two plastic tabs - ie, the marker unit (colored plastic with light bulb and reflector) has two long plastic prongs that go through holes in the black plastic - and there are little speed nuts on the back side that are a bi+ch to see unless you have a good light and are looking for them. I had a marker get smacked in a parking lot by some idiot opening a door, and it was in a couple of pieces, so I just snapped the rest of it off - which is how I found the two prongs and speed nuts on the back. Otherwise, the Bentley manual would have had me believe I could just pop the market unit out from the outside with just a fine-bladed screwdriver. Not so. Ultimately, to get the top speed nut back on (for a front marker) I had to pull the fender liner - no biggie, but certainly not what the Bentley manual led me to believe.
I looked carefully the other day, and discovered what you just described. The Bentley manual is totally misleading.
To recap, so that others benefit from this thread: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE SIDE MARKERS IN ORDER TO REPLACE THE BULBS, AND IF YOU TRY TO POP THEM OUT WITH A FLAT SCREWDRIVER, THEY WILL BREAK.
You work from behind, in the wheel wells, removing some plastic rivets in order to move the fender liner enough to reach the bulb housing (which you have to unscrew). A set of curved pliers are helpful, as the space is little.
If - for some reasons - you need to REMOVE the actual side markers, look for the two prongs on the inside of the wheel well, and using a 10mm wrench or some pliers, remove the 2 speed nuts.

Last edited by CBR600RR; 10-17-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
Side Marker light Wiring

I am replacing. JUST the Front Right Side Marker Light WIRING on my 07 MINI Cooper. The reflector cracked causing water to get at the socket housing. It needs to be replaced because it's corroded. Can someone help me with what should be easy wiring but I cannot find a how to anywhere. I have all parts Just need the instructions. Many Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
Got it done Thanks!

Originally Posted by enzie
I am replacing. JUST the Front Right Side Marker Light WIRING on my 07 MINI Cooper. The reflector cracked causing water to get at the socket housing. It needs to be replaced because it's corroded. Can someone help me with what should be easy wiring but I cannot find a how to anywhere. I have all parts Just need the instructions. Many Thanks in advance!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just replace one on the passenger side, but I still get the warning light every time I turn on my car. All thr lights work on my car. Do you need to put miles on the car for it to go away or do I need to reset some way some how?