MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Electrical
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Longest Car Jump
by sndwave
5 Replies, 211 Views
New Owner 2006 MCS!!
7 Replies, 170 Views
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Need help, Mini won't start...

Installed a boost gauge, started yesterday and it got too dark so I finished this morning. Now it won't start... I hear a clicking noise like the ignition trying to start, but it doesn't. The only think I can think of is the battery cuz I had the radio playing, but sometimes now there is a clicking noise in the throttle body, but then it goes away. Am I right in thinking its the battery, or could it be something worse?

05 MCS JB/W Premium Sport Convenience LSD HK Rear Fog
Ian's Auto Up/DSC/AFF : Alta/Pilo/K&N CAI : Aux Input : One Ball Mod
Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Moderator :: Performance Mods

Send a message via Yahoo to Greatbear
Gallery
Most likely the battery. If you have the original battery in your car, it's probably on it's way out. Rarely do they last more than about 3-4 years tops. OEM batteries will begin losing their reserve capacity, meaning there is less energy to be had to operate accessories without the help of the alternator. If you had the radio playing for a few hours while working on the car, then you will probably need to bust out the battey charger and have it keep your car company for a while.
MMC #28|Motoring ID RAGE666
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Thanks, that really helps me not worry as much. As long as I can get the car started and have it get me through this weekend, then I'll get a replacement on Monday. I've had my battery charger on it since I posted this, so I hope that works. If not I'll get it jumped and hope that works.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
Battery...

the throttle body sound you hear is it finding home when you power the car. No big deal.

FWIW, I just had to swap out my stock battery. Found an Optima Red-Top 34R for about $150 shipped. Mine's an 02 that I got in early Oct 02, so the stock battery lasted 5+ years....

Matt
Dr Obnxs' Musings: a blog about cars, energy, technology and more....
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
A friend came over and jumped it, works perfectly now! Thanks for the help!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
Watch out...

it sounds like your battery is loosing capacity. That is it takes less and less time with stuff like the radio on to drain it to when it won't start the car. The one I swapped out recently wouldn't start my car with about 20 min of the car on and not running.

But glad to hear that you're up and running again.

Matt
Dr Obnxs' Musings: a blog about cars, energy, technology and more....
Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
your battery is fine. the dome lights can drain power pretty quick, especially since you were working in the dark. Had the same problem, since I left the lights on overnight, and It starts up perfectly.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
There's so much cr*p powered up when the key is in the accessory position, you need a nuclear generating station to keep the car powered up. The battery probably has plenty of life left in it, though it may have less capacity than when new.
SPUD:['02 JCW (210hp) - PS/B], '05 6 sp.trans/LSD, aux. gauges, driving lamps, fr/rr fogs, NAV, PDC, DSC, iPod Adaptor, Sport Link, GP IC, JCW susp., brakes & brace, 15% , LDG tune, short shifter, DT-BPV
Buzz: ['09 JCW - MY/B] Prem. Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., IPod/B-tooth, JCW Susp., Xenon, HI-FI, Rear Fogs, Nav, PDC, JCW Brace & Side Scuttles, Driving Lamps, Alarm, Pulsar
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM