Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
davidgs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!

I'm from Perú and here the MINI store only have the models without audio and bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. I want to know if I replace the steering wheel for another with the audio and bluetooth would it work with ok?

Thanks for the answer

Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Anand Siva
Neutral
Hi kevinminict, Are you able to install cruise control successfully?

Hi kevinminict, Are you able to install cruise control successfully?

Originally Posted by kevinminict
OK everyone. I finally got a chance to get to the inner guts of my steering wheel.

I have a 3 spoke steeringwheel without Multifunction. There was a debate if you could add Multifunction Switches to the steering wheel if it does not have it.

I took my airbag cover off and the L&R Cover plates where the Multifunction Switches would go and there is pre-installed in the steering wheel a Male connector for the Multifunction switches!!!!!

I am going to order the Multifunction Switches from MINI and install them and then have my Local Dealer Re-Program the computer so itll activate it. Exactly what someone else did as well and it worked. I just wanted to verify the male connector was pre-wired.

Here are some photos of my steering wheel. The Connector Circled in RED is the one for the Multifunction Switches switch. The one circled in BLUE is what the Air Bag connects to.

I will buy this part number 32306773645 it's #2 in the diagram from RealOEM.com then I'll have cruise and radio controlls.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 Justa MFSW how to... stereo controls

Originally Posted by Porthos
So ya it does not work on all cars. Just because you have the hook up does not mean you can hook up MFSW. I did the same thing and hooked the buttons up, I went to the dealership to have it programmed and it would not recognize the buttons because it needs what they said was a SZL module which is BMW for something in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=35&hl=8 I am now trying to get one used because that is way to expensive.
this thread seems to have died, a few times... so...
I have an 08 justa and was interested in adding the MFSW,MultiFunctionSteeringWheel (as close to German as I get )
It has paddle shifters so I guessed that it also was the correct column switch set. I already needed an Airbag so I picked up a Steering wheel /Airbag combo on fleabay. I installed the switches (hint, paddles unscrew from the inside, right behind the airbag and the radio/ cruise switches then will be accessible from the back of the sw where the paddle was. )
I took me a while to figure out how to enable the column via SZL module. Using NCS-Expert, I compared SZL module settings to my 09 and found the MFL was "nicht_aktiv." I edited the .TRC file to MFL as "aktiv", saved as a .MAN. Loaded it, and it worked. Stereo controls working
I'll move on to the cruise control next and update this thread when I figure it out.. suggestions welcome

Cheers

(it should be noted that if you don't update the VO (vehicle order) (I didn't) the next time your dealer updates your firmware it may stop working.. so, keep a copy of your files before/after mods)

Last edited by justawatcher; 06-12-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: clarification..
Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you do this editing? I am going to install the MFSW buttons and would consider reprogramming myself since the nearest mini dealership is like 2.5 hours away.

Originally Posted by justawatcher
I have an 08 justa and was interested in adding the MFSW,MultiFunctionSteeringWheel (as close to German as I get )
It has paddle shifters so I guessed that it also was the correct column switch set. I already needed an Airbag so I picked up a Steering wheel /Airbag combo on fleabay. I installed the switches (hint, paddles unscrew from the inside, right behind the airbag and the radio/ cruise switches then will be accessible from the back of the sw where the paddle was. )
I took me a while to figure out how to enable the column via SZL module. Using NCS-Expert, I compared SZL module settings to my 09 and found the MFL was "nicht_aktiv." I edited the .TRC file to MFL as "aktiv", saved as a .MAN. Loaded it, and it worked. Stereo controls working
I'll move on to the cruise control next and update this thread when I figure it out.. suggestions welcome

Cheers

(it should be noted that if you don't update the VO (vehicle order) (I didn't) the next time your dealer updates your firmware it may stop working.. so, keep a copy of your files before/after mods)

Old 06-21-2015, 12:16 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nomar116
How did you do this editing? I am going to install the MFSW buttons and would consider reprogramming myself since the nearest mini dealership is like 2.5 hours away.
I used NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself) an excellent post by GTECKO
and spent time reading everything I could find on the SW Controls..
I was able to get the cruise control to work as well but not the "speed set" info in the tach screen. (like my '09 does)
Also my mini is an '08 justa and coding sometimes varies from year to year..
I'll try to post a consolidated configuration guide today or tomorrow. Should work as a starting point for others..

Old 06-21-2015, 12:50 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear

Cheers

So here's the update.. MFSW - Radio controls and Cruise Control = Enabled
'08 R56 Justa....

Using NCSExpert ( NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself) as a guide, by GTECKO)
I made the following changes.
---------------------------------------
1. In the SZL module..
Changed MFL to aktiv (was nicht_aktive)
This enables the radio functions

2. In the KOMBI module..
Changed TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER to wert_02
Changed ACC_AUSSTATTUNG to wert_01
This enables the cruise control functions with tach/cruise set indication

Best

Last edited by justawatcher; 06-21-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: update and correction
Old 08-07-2015, 05:45 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
I have an '09 S and will be buying a cable just for this purpose. Any suggestions on the cheapest reliable place to grab a DCAN cable? There are quite a few on Ebay for less than $30 which seems to good to be true?

So here's the update.. MFSW - Radio controls and Cruise Control = Enabled
'08 R56 Justa....

Using NCSExpert ( NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself) as a guide, by GTECKO)
I made the following changes.
1. In the SZL module..
Changed MFL to aktiv (was nicht_aktive)
This enables the radio functions

2. In the KOMBI module..
Changed TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER to wert_02
Changed ACC_AUSSTATTUNG to wert_01
This enables the cruise control functions with tach/cruise set indication

Best

Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
I ended up going with the company recommended in this post.

Steering wheel is installed with no functionality yet, which is disappointing.

Does anyone know how to tell if the column thing will support the multi-function programming or needs to be replaced? It had the electrical connection, which seems promising, but I've heard they don't all work.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
I ended up going with the company recommended in this post.

Steering wheel is installed with no functionality yet, which is disappointing.

Does anyone know how to tell if the column thing will support the multi-function programming or needs to be replaced? It had the electrical connection, which seems promising, but I've heard they don't all work.
Hello nomar116..
so far as I can tell, if you have any controls in the original steering wheel you have a good chance of getting it to work.. one car I did had paddles but not cruise and stereo control.. the clockwork did not need to be changed.
Just swapped wheel and enabled and all works now except phone controls because I don't have the phone hardware.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:16 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Hello nomar116..
so far as I can tell, if you have any controls in the original steering wheel you have a good chance of getting it to work.. one car I did had paddles but not cruise and stereo control.. the clockwork did not need to be changed.
Just swapped wheel and enabled and all works now except phone controls because I don't have the phone hardware.
When you say swapped wheel "and enabled" do you mean through a DCAN cable and programming? I was actually hoping it would have worked without that but none of the buttons seem to work. I ordered the DCAN cable.

I ask because I do not have ANY controls on my wheel (it's a stick). Is there a chance that it CAN'T be programmed? I had read a few threads that mentioned people also had to change the turn signal module below the wheel to get it to work...

Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
When you say swapped wheel "and enabled" do you mean through a DCAN cable and programming? I was actually hoping it would have worked without that but none of the buttons seem to work. I ordered the DCAN cable.

I ask because I do not have ANY controls on my wheel (it's a stick). Is there a chance that it CAN'T be programmed? I had read a few threads that mentioned people also had to change the turn signal module below the wheel to get it to work...
Yes, through DCAN, and the "clock spring" / Turn Signal Assy is the part the steering wheel bag and switches plug into.. some don't have the extra plug (for the controls) and some have the plug (for the controls) but don't have the internal pass through connections for the switches. This is why some started posting part numbers for those assemblies that work. Fleabay has them if it comes to buying one let me know I'll help you sort it out.. easy, just a bit more money. If yours has the plug it may still work.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Yes, through DCAN, and the "clock spring" / Turn Signal Assy is the part the steering wheel bag and switches plug into.. some don't have the extra plug (for the controls) and some have the plug (for the controls) but don't have the internal pass through connections for the switches. This is why some started posting part numbers for those assemblies that work. Fleabay has them if it comes to buying one let me know I'll help you sort it out.. easy, just a bit more money. If yours has the plug it may still work.
Thank you! My DCAN cable arrives tomorrow. What is the easiest way to know if this is going to work or not? Just trying to reprogram?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Your welcome, test on other things such as window controls or flasher settings to verify that you're tickling something that already works.. let me know how it goes

Old 08-12-2015, 02:57 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Your welcome, test on other things such as window controls or flasher settings to verify that you're tickling something that already works.. let me know how it goes
So I actually got NCSExpert working last night and this morning! This AM I recoded the SKL module to try and get the stereo functions to work, then I would read/write the other module. Unfortunately, the stereo functions do not work... :/

I'm not 100% certain it wrote correctly. I am using NCSExpert 3.1.0 in a virtual Windows XP (3.1 was what I found in the provided links, not 4.0...)

As I was writing my updated FSW_PSW.MAN file the only indication it was complete was the window in NCSExpert goes from "Coding Activ" to "Coding Ended." At this point I noticed I had an exclamation point caution on the steering wheel's display panel and the service engine soon light was illuminated. I'm pretty sure this indication is normal.

When I cycled the ignition these cautions and indications were removed. And everything seemed normal, however no steering wheel functionality. INPA is working correctly, I just didn't have the ignition on.

Any help?

Last edited by nomar116; 08-12-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
I updated my previous post and here is a further update...

I went ahead and programmed the second module KOMBI and took her for a spin. Still no functionality at all. Again re-reading and I can see the module is coded in accordance with Justawatchers suggestions.

Looks like I need a new SKL module thingy... ?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:34 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
I updated my previous post and here is a further update...

I went ahead and programmed the second module KOMBI and took her for a spin. Still no functionality at all. Again re-reading and I can see the module is coded in accordance with Justawatchers suggestions.

Looks like I need a new SKL module thingy... ?
Just to verify.. were you able to "test" program anything else? (windows controls or double flashers settings)
If so I leaning toward your assessment of the hardware..
the assy can be found on fleabay and you can use realoem. to verify the part numbers, although I'm sure they're listed here somewhere.
btw.. the stereo control came up working first and when I tested the cruise I just pushed the button and the light in the speedo indicated that it was on.. no need to drive until that happens

best..

Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
I can not figure out the part number for the life of me. RealOEM (and everywhere else I've looked) is advertising the switch unit steering column as varying by DSC and rain sensor capability. There is little to no mention of Multi-function. I was hoping to buy one salvaged but just don't know which part number to go off of...?

I will go out and try reprogramming something else as soon as my wife gets home with the car. I'll update to be 100% certain its not the programming.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear

...I will go out and try reprogramming something else as soon as my wife gets home with the car. I'll update to be 100% certain its not the programming.
any luck?

Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
any luck?
Sorry for the delay!

I reprogrammed the comfort close windows and auto roll-up windows features successfully.

So either I need a new column switch or there is more programming that I need to do than the two steps in your post.

I am trying to find an SZL but I have no idea what the part number is. I am also afraid that it is even more complicated as some people have mentioned having to reprogram the steering angle...

** Edit - Started calling the SZL an SKL for some reason. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited by nomar116; 08-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:56 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
SZL? If you get one from fleabay just contact the seller for year model / controls info to verify that it has cruise and radio controls... make sure it matches your year. If you can pm me I'll try to find part numbers that'll work and then you'll have that info for the seller as well.

best..

Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Norton70
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mickeyR57sparkling
I just went through this last month....all i needed to do was purchase 2 things, and 1 hr of programming. you DO NOT need to buy a whole new steering wheel....you just need the multi-function switches, they are $171 from www.allminiparts.com, also you may need to replace the Switch assembly that runs the Wipers and Signal lights...i negotiated that price at the Dealer for $398....then all you need is to have them activate it and you are good to go....

Now that being said, Have them see if they can program it first without buying the signal light assembly, some cars have the right one, mine just didnt....Dont let the dealer talk you into 2 hrs for the program, thats BS....tell them that you will only pay for an hour.
Hello, opening up a semi-alive thread.

does the post above mean I will absolutely need the turn signal switch assembly from a MFSW car, or will this be determined once my wheel gets opened up?

I just purchased an entire 05 MFSW auto wheel, and I have a 06 R52 auto which I am trying to add cruise to.

Knowing that, am I on the right track?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Norton70
Hello, opening up a semi-alive thread.

does the post above mean I will absolutely need the turn signal switch assembly from a MFSW car, or will this be determined once my wheel gets opened up?

I just purchased an entire 05 MFSW auto wheel, and I have a 06 R52 auto which I am trying to add cruise to.

Knowing that, am I on the right track?
Just dropping a note to acknowledge your post.. this should be an interesting test.

I've always wondered if the R52 tracked with the R53 wiring or the R56 wiring when they phased out the R53. There was quite a bit of work to add the MFSW to the R53, additional wiring and module(s) (might check the R53 forums)

The way I would approach this is to see what turn signal switch assy you have and cross reference it with realoem to see if it was used in the R56. (realoem is great because once you enter your part number it'll show what cars used that part, giving you a hint of whether you're dealing with r53 or r56 wiring)

Old 09-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Norton70
1st Gear
Just dropping a note to acknowledge your post.. this should be an interesting test.

I've always wondered if the R52 tracked with the R53 wiring or the R56 wiring when they phased out the R53. There was quite a bit of work to add the MFSW to the R53, additional wiring and module(s) (might check the R53 forums)

The way I would approach this is to see what turn signal switch assy you have and cross reference it with realoem to see if it was used in the R56. (realoem is great because once you enter your part number it'll show what cars used that part, giving you a hint of whether you're dealing with r53 or r56 wiring)
FRESH PARTS UPDATE:

over the weekend I visited a local MINI dismantler, bought the wheel, turn signal switch, and slip ring out of an 05 R52 S, auto, as well as a small white box that accordingly to the yard laborer, is the module I would need.

I contacted a local shop and looking into if they are willing to take on this challenge, will report my status updates as they come along.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Norton70
FRESH PARTS UPDATE:

over the weekend I visited a local MINI dismantler, bought the wheel, turn signal switch, and slip ring out of an 05 R52 S, auto, as well as a small white box that accordingly to the yard laborer, is the module I would need.

I contacted a local shop and looking into if they are willing to take on this challenge, will report my status updates as they come along.
Excellent.. looking forward to your update.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:08 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Excellent.. looking forward to your update.
Justa - Thanks for your help along the way. I'm almost home free!

As you may have read I retrofitted a MFSW to my '09 MCS manual. When installing the new wheel the electrical connector was present for the multi-function so I was optimistic. After completing the programming per Justawatcher's suggestion the multi-function was still not working.

Because I did not have either multi-function or paddle shifters I suspected I must have the wrong SZL. Yesterday I received an SZL off of a 2009 MCS that also had DSC and rain sensor just like mine but came with multi-function from the factory. I installed the SZL in about an hour.

The multi-function works!! Both radio and cruise! There are NO warning or advisory lights displayed but the windshield wipers are going none stop. I assume this is related to the rain-sensor. As a temporary fix I pulled fuse F9 in the engine compartment to stop them and allow the car to be driven (without the wipers going crazy fast!!).

Any suggestions on resetting/configuring the wipers? Any way to know if DSC is OK or if I should have the steering angle recalibrated? I'm not sure with what precision that sensor reports steering angle to DSC? I was very careful to ensure I replaced the new SZL with very nearly the exact same positioning as my old one. But I have no idea if that is sufficient to keep the steering angle the same within the ECU/SZL?

Quick Reply: Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel