Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Garage Door Opener, Do It Yourself

Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 AM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garage Door Opener, Do It Yourself

Purchasing the view mirror with the 3 buttons for the garage door is just too mutch for my wallet and frankly not worth it. Is there a way to put the switch/button somewhere inside the R56 so you can save the extra cash for the mirror/button mini is giving out?

Ive found this but its for the R53 and its not very detailed need something more step by step and all through the way guidance!
http://bobodyne.com/web-docs/robots/...tch/index.html

Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
integral
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the swtch cover

How hard was it to remove the switch cover and were there any electronics that were too close to mount the new switch... and did you just pick up a new switch from MINI/BMW or order it somwhere online?

seems like the perfect add for the empty hole though... think the 9v battery lasts a pretty long time so no real worry to change that out either!!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
genik
5th Gear
I have no idea, this "tutorial" really seems hard for me to understand since im a non experienced user on this! Actually i was looking for a tutorial for the R56, in this guide its about a R53!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM
LittleRedOne
1st Gear
An easier solution

http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/

Simple hookup, and works great.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
I saw somewhere on this site where someone purchased a homelink transmitter from e-bay and mounted it where the sunroof control is. It looked great! I was looking into that as my next mod before I totaled my car. As I recall, the parts were only about $50 on ebay and required nothing other than a power lead. I know that this is for an R53 and you are looking for a R56 solution, but I'm sure there is a great place to put something like this!

I found this pic in the you-ification thread, originally posted by archides

Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 AM
MR ECON
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittleRedOne
http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/

Simple hookup, and works great.
Apparently some work and some don't. Mine didn't work on either vehicle and I have a new garage door opener, which according to their literature is supposed to work. But the biggest problem with F2P is that they wouldn't respond to my phone messages and their Web site claims they won't provide an RMA via e-mail. So here I sit with an inoperable unit and no refund in sight.

Let the buyer beware.

Last edited by MR ECON; 11-16-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:00 PM
integral
1st Gear
I would think using the blank switch pod on the dash a perfect method for hiding the door opener specially if you have no other need for the dot... only issue of course is getting the switch and of course installing it... connecting it to the control is less than half the battle!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
genik
5th Gear
Wow both look interesting, especially Coops, but more info needed on how to install!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by integral
I would think using the blank switch pod on the dash a perfect method for hiding the door opener specially if you have no other need for the dot... only issue of course is getting the switch and of course installing it... connecting it to the control is less than half the battle!
I dont believe that using the "blank switch" location on the R56 will work for any other purpose than that was intended. The whole assembly is modular and designed to integrate with the respective computer module which requires programming or codeing to recognize that component. You cannot just add a switch.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
hfguy
1st Gear
Flash 2 Pass in R56

I see one for and one against on the flash 2 pass system. Has anyone else tried this system? Seems like the easiest and least invasive way to add a garage door opener.

But I am a little concerned by the lack of customer support mentioned should it not work.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
runlikeachicken
1st Gear
What do you think about placing it rigth in front of the shifter....my car has three buttom one for the dynamic stability control (DSC) another blank and another for the sport.....what if you are able to open the blank buttom and place the garage opener buttom under so that you can actually press the buttom and open the garagee.....you can even print a little logo on it that say eject or open or even garage.....have any idea how to do this

Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 AM
r52pimp
Banned
I just did a homelink in my R52 convertible. It is in the latest issue of the NAM Alliance magazine on page 28. Really easy. The hard part is finding a locations for the controller.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
I did a quick DIY garage door opener. I have a Genie Intellicode Garage door opener. I purchased a one button transmitter on ebay for $17. I then purchased a momentary switch and soldered it to the back of the button on the board. I drilled a hole on the small grey trim piece on the left of the steering wheel. I stuffed the genie transmitter in a little cubbie that is available when you take off the trim piece below the steering wheel. I am looking for a 12V switched Power that is easily accessible on the drivers site. I am currently using the 12 volt battery, but as soon as someone tells me a easy place to grab power from.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another option would be to buy a keychain size remote for your door opener and velcro it some place handy or out of sight. No modifications required.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Issue 4 of the NAM Alliance Magazine has a step by step for Homelink in a R52, this will work for an R56 as well, just have to choose a different location for the buttons. See my sig to download.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Cloak
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Another option would be to buy a keychain size remote for your door opener and velcro it some place handy or out of sight. No modifications required.
I went a step further in my Liberty. I drilled a hole and put a momentary switch in and soldered it into the button on the garage remote. So now I have a bright red switch on my dash that opens my garage door. Clean and simple.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Fool68
2nd Gear
I'll give a big to the Flash 2 Pass. I was in a similar boat as the OP... wanted the fancy mirror with the garage door options, but Jester was on the lot with only 35 miles on him and everything else that I wanted. I found a post about the F2P on this site and bought it.

The garage side hookup was easy - the receiver directly replaces the pushbutton inisde the gargage. Basic 2 wire hookup. The transmitter was a little more stressful, but only because I was splicing into my brand new car's wiring. Still, the transmitter comes with the splice kit and the actual installation was easy. I dressed the wiring with some cloth electrical tape similar to what I had to take off the original wiring, and it looks clean. One thing to note... the R53 headlights are part of the bonnet, and there's a convenient location behind the light to ty-wrap the transmitter (I put mine on the passenger side so that if there was a problem with the light, it would be with the light that's on the curb-side of the car). Very clean install. I'm not sure if there's as good a place on the R56 since the receiver would have to be mounted in the chassis of the car, but every other car on the street is like the R56 in that regard.

I've used mine with two garage door openers - My old house had the old fashioned DIP Switch remotes, and my current house has the rolling code remotes. The F2P has instructions for both, and I didn't have any hastle getting it to work with either type.

Operationally, it's a killer James Bond type mod. Drive up to your house, double tap the high beams, and up goes the garage door. Friends always get a kick out of it.

From a reliability standpoint, I've had it running since April 2006 without incident. The transmitter, receiver and headlights have all been fine.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
chirowolf
Neutral
I give a big to the F2P. Would only work occationally at a distance of about 6 feet, but most of the time did not work at all. Sending it back for a refund