Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Planning for the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous - 8/14-17

Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EIM Planning for the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous - 8/14-17

It seems we have a critical mass of folks who are interested in participating in this event. It will be fun to explore a new destination with our MINIs!

For general info, the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous is being held in the areas of Houghton, MI and the Copper Harbor peninsula on Friday and Saturday, August 15-16. Our group plans to transit up on Thursday, August 14th and return to Iowa on Sunday, August 17th.

Prior to completing the online registration at the host website ( http://www.keweenawminirendezvous.com/ ) there are some logistics we should discuss, particularly regarding the Sunday activities, and that is the purpose of this early planning thread.

Here's a link to the Event Calendar entry: EIM at the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous

---------------------------
Lodging:

Several of us have already made hotel reservations at the Super 8, 1200 E Lakeshore Dr, Houghton, MI for a reduced group rate of $66.59 per night. Looks like a nice place and you can't beat the price. It's always more fun and efficient when our group is co-located so you may want to consider taking advantage of this offer.

If you try to reserve a room through the central Super 8 reservation website, it will tell you that there are no rooms available. Also, don't bother with the national Super 8 reservation phone number because they don't know about the local group rate. Instead, you'll want to call the hotel directly at 906-482-2240 and ask for the "Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous" group rate of $66.59. As of April 15th (when I reserved my room) they had rooms with a view of Portage Lake available at the same rate. Remember to reserve three nights (Thursday arrival and checking out on Sunday).

-------------------------------

The registration fee for the MINI event is $40 per car (not per person). To satisfy inquiring minds (i.e., mine) I emailed the organizers and asked what the fee includes. Thus far, the registration includes Friday lunch for all occupants of your MINI, an Event T-shirt for the driver**, as well as other goodies in the welcome package; admission to the party on Friday night at the Continental Fire Department, the area's premier night spot. Excess funds over expenses will be donated to the Keweenaw Community Foundation.

**(If you're interested in additional T-shirts I recommend emailing Keith Riley directly at keith@ishopfavorites.com and ask him how to go about obtaining additional shirts).

During the registration process, you can order discounted tickets to the 5th Annual Keweenaw Brewfest being held on Saturday afternoon ($30 per person instead of $40 at the door).

The question is: who is planning to attend the Brewfest from 1-5 on Saturday, and who is planning to do additional driving and exploration activities in the local area instead? I am on the fence right now, and would like to know what others are thinking prior to completing my registration.

-------------------

Useful links:

Event website: http://www.keweenawminirendezvous.com/

Event Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kewee...70808516302584

Area Map: http://goo.gl/maps/YQ4ef

---

Last edited by Gil-galad; 08-04-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
DDayKid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're planning on attending the Rendezvous and the Brewfest. We'll be driving over from NW Wisconsin and looking forward to seeing you there.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
densan57
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
It seems we have a critical mass of folks who are interested in participating in this event. It will be fun to explore a new destination with our MINIs!

For general info, the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous is being held in the areas of Houghton, MI and the Copper Harbor peninsula on Friday and Saturday, August 15-16. Our group plans to transit up on Thursday, August 14th and return to Iowa on Sunday, August 17th.

Prior to completing the online registration at the host website ( http://www.keweenawminirendezvous.com/ ) there are some logistics we should discuss, particularly regarding the Sunday activities, and that is the purpose of this early planning thread.

---------------------------
Lodging:

Several of us have already made hotel reservations at the Super 8, 1200 E Lakeshore Dr, Houghton, MI for a reduced group rate of $66.59 per night. Looks like a nice place and you can't beat the price. It's always more fun and efficient when our group is co-located so you may want to consider taking advantage of this offer.

If you try to reserve a room through the central Super 8 reservation website, it will tell you that there are no rooms available. Also, don't bother with the national Super 8 reservation phone number because they don't know about the local group rate. Instead, you'll want to call the hotel directly at 906-482-2240 and ask for the "Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous" group rate of $66.59. As of April 15th (when I reserved my room) they had rooms with a view of Portage Lake available at the same rate. Remember to reserve three nights (Thursday arrival and checking out on Sunday).

-------------------------------

The registration fee for the MINI event is $40 per car (not per person). To satisfy inquiring minds (i.e., mine) I emailed the organizers and asked what the fee includes. Thus far, the registration includes Friday lunch for all occupants of your MINI, an Event T-shirt for the driver**, as well as other goodies in the welcome package; admission to the party on Friday night at the Continental Fire Department, the area's premier night spot. Excess funds over expenses will be donated to the Keweenaw Community Foundation.

**(If you're interested in additional T-shirts I recommend emailing Keith Riley directly at keith@ishopfavorites.com and ask him how to go about obtaining additional shirts).

During the registration process, you can order discounted tickets to the 5th Annual Keweenaw Brewfest being held on Saturday afternoon ($30 per person instead of $40 at the door).

The question is: who is planning to attend the Brewfest from 1-5 on Saturday, and who is planning to do additional driving and exploration activities in the local area instead? I am on the fence right now, and would like to know what others are thinking prior to completing my registration.

-------------------

Useful links:

Event website: http://www.keweenawminirendezvous.com/

Event Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kewee...70808516302584

Area Map: http://goo.gl/maps/YQ4ef

---
We will probably be doing some additional driving etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
MeenieMom
2nd Gear
Signed up for brewfest.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM
Gil-galad
Looks like some will attend the Brewfest and some will do additional exploring in the area.

I still can't decide!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
We have reservations at the Super 8 but have not registered for the event yet. Probably will pass on the Brewfest and do some motoring instead. As it get closer we will figure out when and where to meet up for the trip up. Looks like a good time.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by smieska
We have reservations at the Super 8 but have not registered for the event yet. Probably will pass on the Brewfest and do some motoring instead. As it get closer we will figure out when and where to meet up for the trip up. Looks like a good time.
Glad you'll be able to join us! I'm in the same boat; not yet registered and leaning toward doing some additional exploring on Saturday afternoon. I've never been up in that area before and I'm sure there will be a lot of interesting surroundings to check out.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 PM
ICMINIME
Neutral
The Hermie's are attending, we were also able to get a room at the Super 8- we will probably do some exploring rather than the Brewfest.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by ICMINIME
The Hermie's are attending, we were also able to get a room at the Super 8- we will probably do some exploring rather than the Brewfest.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Gil-galad
Finally got around to completing my registration for this one (basic fee only, no BFest). Their website has improved over time and it was quick and relatively painless using PayPal. You can now directly indicate desired tee shirt size.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM
miniturns
2nd Gear
Sue and i are registered at the super 8 and for the basic event. Like to find some good roads and places to check out on Saturday. Hope to see you all there.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by miniturns
Sue and i are registered at the super 8 and for the basic event. Like to find some good roads and places to check out on Saturday. Hope to see you all there.

There's a lot of MTTS 2014 between now and then, but I'm starting to spend a lot of time thinking about this trip.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
I just got the map out and realized where it is we are going. Its not where I thought at all. So going up thru Wisconsin is not as bad as going around the lake and up into Michigan thru Chicago. Has anyone given thought to a route? Im guessing Gary has some sort of plan. Mapquest says its 12+ hours for us so we will probably take off sometime Wed afternoon and look for a place to meet up with the rest of you Thursday morning. Let us know as plans develop so we can come up with a plan from here.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Gil-galad
Me? A plan? Well, I have given it just a little bit of thought.

I think for most folks in the eastern half the best rendezvous point is likely Dubuque (say, our traditional spot -- the Wendy's parking lot next door to the BP on 16th St., where Kerper Blvd. crosses US-151).

The optimum route from there appears to be this one:

Driving Directions from Dubuque to Houghton

So I can avoid a couple hours of backtracking, if the main group agrees with the suggested route above I'll plan on meeting them a little further down the road. A good spot for me to join up is in Coloma, WI where WI-21 intersects with I-39 (I-39 Exit 124). There is a Hoops Travel Center on the west side of the interchange there.

We'll see what time the main group wants to meet in Dubuque, and I'll plan my arriving time in Coloma based on that. densan57 -- what would be a good Dubuque rendezvous time for you?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Coalvalleyers
2nd Gear
Hey everyone, I've spoken with the gentleman in charge with the distributing of The t-shirts and he said there should not be a problem for spouses or others to purchase additional t-shirts. The gentlemans name is Keith Riley

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Gil-galad
***Updated***

Based on some off-line coordination, this seems to be the Keweenaw transit plan for 8/14 as it exists right now. Please weigh in with amplifications and corrections as necessary.

7:30 am - Rendezvous at the Wendy's/BP on Kerper Blvd. in Dubuque
Includes densan57, Coalvalleyers, MeenieMom, miniturns, and smieska --- (densan57, Coalvalleyers, and smieska will all be originating from the Quad Cities)

~10:00 am - Gil-galad joins up at the Hoops Travel Center in Coloma, WI

~3:30 pm - Arrive in Houghton, MI (includes time for fuel & lunch stops)

DDayKid, ICMINIME, and RACobbs will join us in Houghton.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 08-10-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Provide updated information
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
ICMINIME
Neutral
rendezvous

kim and I will be meeting everyone in houghton Thursday afternoon when you arrive. we are going up to the U.P. earlier in the week were looking forward to seeing everyone up there.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by ICMINIME
kim and I will be meeting everyone in houghton Thursday afternoon when you arrive. we are going up to the U.P. earlier in the week were looking forward to seeing everyone up there.
Thanks for the info...I'll update my previous post.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Gil-galad
Everyone should have received an email today asking about passenger information and giving check-in times/locations.

If you didn't, let me know.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:05 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
I did and replied. This appears to be a well organized event. Have they published a count on attendees? We will be running with Densan and Coalvalley up to Dubuque on Thursday. Getting excited!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by smieska
I did and replied. This appears to be a well organized event. Have they published a count on attendees? We will be running with Densan and Coalvalley up to Dubuque on Thursday. Getting excited!!!
Haven't seen a count, just a map of participants by state on their FB page. It will be interesting to see how many show up, particularly with the MTTS overlap. I'm going to allow myself to get psyched as soon as the parade tomorrow is in the books.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Gil-galad
Just received an email from RACobbs -- they are heading up earlier in the week and will join us in Houghton. Thursday is their 43rd anniversary.

Time to start packing.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Gil-galad
OBTW, with some assistance from the locals I've found what looks to be a fairly decent self-service car wash. It's on the corner of West Sharon Ave and Cedar Bluff Rd.

I'm thinking there will plenty of "tidy up" time available between our arrival and the evening check-in. First things first, of course.

Attached Thumbnails EIM Planning for the Keweenaw MINI Rendezvous - 8/14-17-carwash.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Gil-galad
Had time tonight while unpacking to cull through the pics from our amazing adventure. Here you go...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmm57/...7646580424735/

Another great time exploring new places and meeting new people. Thanks to all of my fellow EIM folk who made this such a fun trip.