Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 2005 R53 clutch replacement : OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 R53 clutch replacement : OEM or Aftermarket?

Hey everyone,

Currently on my lunch break at work but long story short, my clutch seal has sprung a leak so leaking oil. My mechanic says I might want to replace the clutch too since its been a while since I've had any work on it(gotta be 6-7+yrs, I forget, oem replacement under warranty) as preventative maintenance.

Should I stick with an oem replacement or go aftermarket? Most mods in my signature. It's my daily driver, but who knows might track it one time or two. Mix of city/highway. Mostly a mix of being cool and pushing the motor Saw some stuff about the Valeo replacement but apparently I need the flywheel too? Not really looking to spend a boatload so the Giken is off the list.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All up to you really. Price out both and go from there since you're not under warranty anymore. The valeo ranges from $300-400 depending on where you get it, and that's the whole kit, not just the clutch. No clue on the OEM but I would imagine it's more expensive.

The Valeo supposedly has a much lighter pedal feel than the OEM so that's something to consider as well.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Both are reliable options. But if you came in our shop we'd just put in the Valeo kit with the flywheel that way you don't have to worry about a future flywheel failure.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/valeo-...l-kit-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 AM
slo_crx1
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About how much power will the Valeo hold? I'm about ready to complete my r53 turbo conversion, and while I won't be making record breaking power to keep it fairly street drivable (~260hp is what I'm shooting), I know my still factory clutch with almost 100k miles won't hold up and I'll need a new one if I raise the power level much above my current levels. I really don't want to drop close to $1,000 for a clutch and flywheel if I really don't have to.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
That's a tough one, 260 really puts you right on the bubble, honestly at that level it's going to put you right in the "with sticky tires maybe not", "but with spin maybe" zone.
Honestly, I went the "better" route if for no other reason than, I didn't want to have to take it apart again any sooner than necessary.