Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Stage 1 or Stage 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:50 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Manic Stage 1 or Stage 2?

So, I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to get a Manic tune. I am not sure if I should go with stage 1 or stage 2?

Currently, I have have an R55 with an AEM intake as the only modification. In the garage, I have a WMW cat-less downpipe, and a Forge blow off valve. Next in line would be an intercooler, and probably stop there.

So, should I go stage 1 or stage 2 for the tune? I would likely also pick up the OBD switch box.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:59 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Find a Manic dealer you want to work with and discuss it with him. He might recommend more mods for stage 2. If you aren't sure which stage you want, go for the max you can afford --- once started, it's hard to stop. And definitely, get the switch box.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:39 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Since you are catless you will want to do stage 2. I have the SPS OBD2 map switches in stock mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

Attached Thumbnails Manic Stage 1 or Stage 2?-image-2074686825.jpg   Manic Stage 1 or Stage 2?-image-2181714963.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-22-2016, 04:58 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Since you are catless you will want to do stage 2. I have the SPS OBD2 map switches in stock mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
Can you send me a quote for the switch? Thanks.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:04 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
So, I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to get a Manic tune. I am not sure if I should go with stage 1 or stage 2?

Currently, I have have an R55 with an AEM intake as the only modification. In the garage, I have a WMW cat-less downpipe, and a Forge blow off valve. Next in line would be an intercooler, and probably stop there.

So, should I go stage 1 or stage 2 for the tune? I would likely also pick up the OBD switch box.
**** it...live life. Go Stage II. I dropped my car off the other day to a Manic dealer...I'm finally upgrading to Stage III. Stage II...you will not regret it.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Since you don't have the intercooler I would say do that first before the tune.

Otherwise I would just start with a stage 1 as you can always upgrade to stage two later for just $100 if you end up wanting more. But we've had many customers just happy with the stage 1.
We also offer a 24hr turn around on doing the tune when you ship the ECU to us.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

We also can provide the SPS if you want to be able to switch between the maps.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/manic-...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-24-2016, 06:00 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without a doubt go for stage 2. You're almost all the way there after you get the intercooler. I would recommend getting the NGK ILKR8E6 spark plugs. I have stage 2 and i love it. It is a slippery slope because once you start it's hard to stop. I personally took a break from power mods and switched to working on suspension. But it makes the car a lot more fun to drive and the best part is the people that underestimate you. Then you blow them away lol.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
How hard will it be to pass obd2 state inspection callers with stage2?
Ben
Regardless I am going 2 this Thursday.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
In regards to all the different manic tuners out there, are they all the exact same? For tuners near me, I see theres one in Virginia, then theres one in Philly, then you have MarioKart whos gotten rave reviews where id have to mail my ECU out and even WMW. So are the stages CANNED tunes and no matter who I get it from there wont be any difference?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
My understanding is that the program for each stage is the same.
Ben

Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
For stages 1 and 2, any time you mail in the ECU, it will be essentially the same as all the others, UNLESS you discuss it with the tuner first. Initial install of stages 3 and 4 are usually done in the shop, with data logging and possibly a dyno pull. However, these can also be done via mail for minor updates / corrections.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
In regards to all the different manic tuners out there, are they all the exact same? For tuners near me, I see theres one in Virginia, then theres one in Philly, then you have MarioKart whos gotten rave reviews where id have to mail my ECU out and even WMW. So are the stages CANNED tunes and no matter who I get it from there wont be any difference?
You are correct ALL Manic tunes are the same doesn't matter which person or shop does it.
The options are also the same for the extra pops and such but not necessary.
Also not all Manic dealers can tune just the ECU as some manic dealers only have the module that plugs into the car.
We do offer a 24hr turn around or less when they are mailed to us as this is our full time job working on MINIs so your ECU won't get set to the side or forgotten.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
KCLARK,
Correct. While there are region specific changes, the standard Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes only vary based on octane rating. Bespoke and Stage 3 are more tailored depending on the vehicle configuration and client options. As an example most Stage 3 tunes for a JCW turbo on an MCS top out at 1.5 bar. Timing and fueling have been pretty well defined from the many that have been done. A different combination of hardware may set boost targets higher and include fueling and timing changes. My Stage 3 meth tune is set to 1.7 bar and designed around our 51mm turbo. Stage 4 tunes are always tailored to the specific build.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
My Stage 3 meth tune is set to 1.7 bar and designed around our 51mm turbo. Stage 4 tunes are always tailored to the specific build.

When you say "OUR 51mm turbo", are you a vendor that sells turbos or mini aftermarket products like MarioKart does? another question is that I noticed only meth users seems to get a custom tune for the higher bar, is that the ONLY way to get that (need for extra cooling reasons) to run that high.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
When you say "OUR 51mm turbo", are you a vendor that sells turbos or mini aftermarket products like MarioKart does? another question is that I noticed only meth users seems to get a custom tune for the higher bar, is that the ONLY way to get that (need for extra cooling reasons) to run that high.
I'm not answering for Tigger, but my WMI was installed initially for cooling only. Engine temps are proportional to boost levels, so to keep temps down, I started with a 50 - 50 WMI mix, injecting when positive boost was detected. My stage 4 also has the t'stat setting turned down to about 185 deg F --- another attempt at engine cooling. My boost levels vary between 25 & 30PSI.

As an aside note, spark plug failure is caused by, among other things, heat. So, if you run high boost and don't run a cold enough spark plug, be prepared for the plug to lose its ground electrode --- it could be catastrophic!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Yes we manufacture the Prototype-R X series of turbo chargers. We start with a new OEM Borg Warner turbo and offer either a 50mm or 51mm conversion with a custom nine bladed K04 turbine wheel. Neither is recommended for stock MCS internals. My JCW uses ARP rod bolts and head studs to handle the extra power. The head studs were found to be a necessity at 1.7 bar to prevent the head from lifting.

Boost, octane, timing and static compression are all interrelated as regards to knock threshold. With forged pistons at 10:1 and 93 AKI / 98 RON 1.6 bar is do able. Adding meth however not only increases your safety margin but also allows for increased timing resulting in more torque. In my application with JCW pistons the meth is primarily providing a secondary fuel source and timing is only slightly increased (2 degrees).