Drivetrain Bytetronik ECU Flash/Tune for the F56 B48 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Bytetronik ECU Flash/Tune for the F56 JCW-Auto & Cooper-S Manual

After months of testing and tuning, we are finally ready to release our Stage 1 ECU Flash for the F56 B48. At this point, this is Bench Flash ONLY!!

We can prove consistent power gains for both the JCW and the Cooper-S models on all types of Dynos (DynoJet, Rotronics, Mustang...)

Car #1: This is the dyno gragh from the JCW (w/ Auto tranny). We ran this JCW on the Mustang Dyno in AWD mode b/c we didn't want to put the car into "dyno mode".

Modifications:
  • 2015 Factory JCW Auto
  • 2 gallons of E85 mixed with a full tank of 91 Octane;
  • Bytetronik (BT) Stage 1 Flash;
  • Everything else stock

Power Output to the wheels (Not BHP!):
OEM Stock: 231 WHP / 248 WTQE
BT Stage-1 Flash: 276 WHP / 326 WTQE (~442NM)

Gains: +45 WHP; +78 WTQE

Dyno pulls were all done on the same day within 30 minutes of one another. Outside temperature was about 80-degrees Fahrenheit.

Parameters Adjusted:
  • Raised Speed limiter (VMAX)
  • Fuel Pressure raised
  • Target Lambda optimized
  • Clutch torque optimized
  • Optimum torque optimized
  • Torque monitors optimized
  • Schubblurbben (burble) parameters optimized for more bangs and pop
  • Race start (launch control) start temperature modified
  • Boost target optimized
  • Target torque optimized

Car #2: 2015 Manual S with Bytetronik Stage 1 Flash for the Euro-spec F56 "S".
- 2015 "S" F56 Manual (UK Model)
- 1320MINI Shop MINI
- JCW Exhaust
- Airtec IC
- 4th Gear Run
- 18 PSI
- 298 BHP ~260 WHP
- 473 NM ~349 Engine Torque

F56 Cooper-S manual, Bytetronik Stage 1 Tune
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
2015 Manual S with Bytetronik Stage 1 Flash for the Euro-spec F56 "S".
- 2015 "S" F56 Manual (UK Model)
- 1320MINI Shop MINI
- JCW Exhaust
- Airtec IC
- 4th Gear Run
- 18 PSI
- 298 BHP ~260 WHP (on Lohen's Dyno)
- 473 NM ~349 Engine Torque (on Lohen's Dyno)

F56 Cooper-S manual, Bytetronik Stage 1 Tune
The same F56 with the Before and After from the 1320MINI's Mustang Dyno:

Stock: 204 WHP / 228 WTQE
Tuned: 261 WHP / 306 WTQE (BT Stage 1 Flash)
Gains: +57 WHP/ +78 WTQE

Gains: +57 WHP/ +78 WTQE

Price for the Stage 1 ECU Flash w/OBD Device: $795 + shipping (as of Dec 15, 2018, the entire flashing process can be done via the OBD2 port - there is no need to remove the ECU any longer).

Last edited by Bytetronik; 12-27-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added Test Car #2
Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
OBD Flashing!

***Updated on 2/10/17 with OBD Flashing Capabilities***

Below are some screenshots of our OBD2 Tuning Hardware and Software...please note, you ECU will have to be BOOT MODE at least one time in order for it to be OBD2 flash-able...

Attached picture 1: This is the FlashAccess V2 Flash Module:

V2 Flashing Module

Pics 2 thru 10: Actual screenshots of the Flashing Software.

We can also perform the following upgrade to your Onboard Power Meter (**This upgrade must be done onsite**):

OEM Screen

Modded Screen

Last edited by Bytetronik; 03-14-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:00 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very interested in the BT base flash + JB4! I'm guessing it's gonna be similar in principal to the N54 MHD back end + JB4?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:30 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very interested in this for my JCW. Been used to NMs for so long, would be nice to have a true tune now. At lease I can say I've put on nearly 30K miles without a hitch! Looking on your website, I don't see anything for F56, only R53, I assume this will be updated?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Will it work on F56 with B46 engine?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:05 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Hope we can see some turbo upgrades and E85 support.. Maybe Fuel-It can get in on this.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Can you clone DMEs?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jetmechinnc
I'm very interested in this for my JCW. Been used to NMs for so long, would be nice to have a true tune now. At lease I can say I've put on nearly 30K miles without a hitch! Looking on your website, I don't see anything for F56, only R53, I assume this will be updated?
We are working on perfecting other tunes for the other models. Once we get those perfected, then we will update the website with further details.

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Will it work on F56 with B46 engine?
Don't see why it wouldn't; unless they changed the ECU on the B46 cars.

Originally Posted by johntotah94
Hope we can see some turbo upgrades and E85 support.. Maybe Fuel-It can get in on this.
Running E85 in these newer BMWs is a non-issue. We see plenty of them running on 91 octane and E85 mix (as high as 50/50 without any issues). Test car was on a 2 gallon of E85 mixed in with Premium Shell Pump gas at the time of dyno testing.

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Can you clone DMEs?
No.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Yeah I currently run 2 gal E85 with JB4. You're saying our fuel system is capable to run around 50/50? LPFP and HPFP are ok? I would be highly interested doing that. The ECU will adjust trims accordingly? Maybe I can do some logs and someone can analyze.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
@bytetronik
Where are you guys located?

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
1) assumed that the flash will eliminate any chance of the dealer plugging in to do service work?

2) if the JB4 is a piggyback and you're a full flash, why can't you include what the JB4 is doing into your flash? not trying to shoot down the JB4, just trying to understand why someone would run a flash and then put a piggyback on it.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
1) assumed that the flash will eliminate any chance of the dealer plugging in to do service work?

2) if the JB4 is a piggyback and you're a full flash, why can't you include what the JB4 is doing into your flash? not trying to shoot down the JB4, just trying to understand why someone would run a flash and then put a piggyback on it.
Because the JB4 would:
1) Allow you to change Maps on the fly. With boost control done by the JB4, you don't have to wring your car to the max when you're not racing.
2) Allow datalogging via OBD.
3) Boost limit on lower gears.
4) Meth control integration.

Fueling, timing, VANOS, clutch torque, more Schubblurbben are of course done via the flash.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
hey mike...that was more my point. seems the JB4 is more of a management/quick changes tool at this point more than making actual adjustments to the system.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Yeah, but for me the ability to change map (level of performance) is pretty crucial. With the flash-only solution, you pretty much are running on a single map the whole time. Of course that is completely fine if you're not planning to experiment with higher octane and/or meth, etc.

Unless someone in the future come up with an OBD flasher, IMO JB4+Flash is the ideal solution for those of us who like to tinker with our cars.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear

Currently with a JB4 installed, unlike other "piggybacks", the JB4 installs between MANY different sensors. MAF, MAP, Fuel Rail, etc... So the sensor now goes to the JB4 and JB4 to computer. JB4 is the middleman. Now the JB4 is able to manipulate many sensor data to increase boost/fuel and what not with its own integrated "maps".

Now when you install an ECU tune. You run the JB4 in a "pass through" mode. All data goes right through the JB4 without manipulation (if you wish). The JB4 is now there for you to "monitor" everything. Safety systems within the JB4 are still integrated since data needs to pass through the JB4. Say your car AFR leans out, overboosts, fuel pressure low, meth flow low, the JB4 will bump you to a safety "low boost" map every time (map 4) to save your engine from damage. JB4 also has cold/hot oil protection built in. So you will have stock like boost until oil temps are over 160 degrees or for oil temps over 280 degrees.

You can still use the JB4 to hijack your gauges for map switching on the fly, or using your fuel gauge as a boost gauge (examples). The JB4 can change your throttle mapping for a linear experience. If you are having trouble putting power down, you can us the JB4 to limit boost and set a boost target for first, second, and third gear (Via in dash controls, JB4 mobile app, or JB4 application on computer). You can use the JB4 to run a meth injection system with your car (Can set up parameters to when to engage/disengage via JB4 software). Use the JB4 to read and delete trouble codes on the fly. On the BMWs, the JB4 will run the No Lift/2 step systems. You can use the JB4 to be in charge of fueling for E85 mixes or be in charge of whatever parameter you want.

The JB4 is pretty damn cool, and I am happy to have a sophisticated management system for my car that I feel is a bargain in price with all the support and features it offers. Makes me feel better, and wish I had support on my R56 for this! Especially running a bigger turbo, standalone meth injection system, and messing with E85 mixes. I would have a much better peace of mind lol.
I'm sure I missed a lot more features from the JB4 but thats the jist of it.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
@bytetronik
Where are you guys located?
Socal, near LA.

Originally Posted by BadakVT
Because the JB4 would:
1) Allow you to change Maps on the fly. With boost control done by the JB4, you don't have to wring your car to the max when you're not racing.
2) Allow datalogging via OBD.
3) Boost limit on lower gears.
4) Meth control integration.

Fueling, timing, VANOS, clutch torque, more Schubblurbben are of course done via the flash.
You are very correct on the above point

hey mike...that was more my point. seems the JB4 is more of a management/quick changes tool at this point more than making actual adjustments to the system.
The flash can raise the limiters and built-in parameters that are hard coded inside the ECU so you don't hit 'limp-mode' while using the JB4. The JB4 has map switching and can alter the boost level, timing and other parameters "on the fly" while still keeping the fail-safe parameters within the stock ECU (i.e. knock control)

There are a lot more potential with this Flash+JB4 combo... data logging using the JB4 is sooo much fun... and you can log it on your mobile App via the JB4 Mobile App

Old 10-21-2016, 02:40 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
@Bytetronik
Are we able to drive to your location to get a tune whenever its ready? Or do we have to send the ECU in?

Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Now when you install an ECU tune. You run the JB4 in a "pass through" mode. All data goes right through the JB4 without manipulation (if you wish).
based on this, for someone who is running the JB4 right now, it seems our steps would be to do this flash and remove the JB4 until the combo system is released which i imagine would come with a new JB4 code.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
based on this, for someone who is running the JB4 right now, it seems our steps would be to do this flash and remove the JB4 until the combo system is released which i imagine would come with a new JB4 code.
No. Map 0 will disable the JB4 completely running everything from the ECU.
And Map 4 or 5 (I forgot) will use the ECU values and the JB4 is still active for monitoring and data logging.
Then of course map 1 and 2 are the burger maps that manipulate values with factory tuning.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
No. Map 0 will disable the JB4 completely running everything from the ECU.
And Map 4 or 5 (I forgot) will use the ECU values and the JB4 is still active for monitoring and data logging.
Then of course map 1 and 2 are the burger maps that manipulate values with factory tuning.
it's map4 that uses the ECU values while the JB4 still monitors.
but now we can't use MAP1 and MAP2 as we are no longer dealing with the factory tune. the way i ran by JB4 was as follows:
MAP2 at the track
MAP1 daily/street driving

with the bytetronik, there isn't a "map1" or "map2" anymore as it's all done via the bytetronik. so again, when i refer to "removing the JB4", i guess the better statement was "disable the JB4 to longer manipulate values and just be a tool to manage and protect the system (as well as it's cute add'l features".

sound about right?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:15 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
The flash can raise the limiters and built-in parameters that are hard coded inside the ECU so you don't hit 'limp-mode' while using the JB4. The JB4 has map switching and can alter the boost level, timing and other parameters "on the fly" while still keeping the fail-safe parameters within the stock ECU (i.e. knock control)

There are a lot more potential with this Flash+JB4 combo... data logging using the JB4 is sooo much fun... and you can log it on your mobile App via the JB4 Mobile App
same question as i asked in previous post. given that JB4 Maps 1 and 2 raise boost values based on stock/factory tune, are you saying that the Flash still allows for a +4 and +6 manipulation being added by the JB4 (ie running a Map1 or Map2).

understand that i'm just trying to understand things right now. i'm all for this and am ready to pull the trigger...just want to understand more.

thanks.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:12 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
same question as i asked in previous post. given that JB4 Maps 1 and 2 raise boost values based on stock/factory tune, are you saying that the Flash still allows for a +4 and +6 manipulation being added by the JB4 (ie running a Map1 or Map2).
Yes. We are working with BMS currently to find out the most ideal "back-end flash" that will complement the JB4 settings. We are doing a lot of data-logging and map comparisons. Once finalized and tested, then we will publish those results.

Of course, these new JB4 settings (Map 1 and 2) can be done via a firmware upgrade from BMS.

@Bytetronik
Are we able to drive to your location to get a tune whenever its ready? Or do we have to send the ECU in?
We can perform the work here at our location, but you'll need to make an advance booking. We are on the road a lot and prefer the 'remote method'..

Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Yes. We are working with BMS currently to find out the most ideal "back-end flash" that will complement the JB4 settings. We are doing a lot of data-logging and map comparisons. Once finalized and tested, then we will publish those results.

Of course, these new JB4 settings (Map 1 and 2) can be done via a firmware upgrade from BMS.
ok, so what's next. how does someone get in contact with you to get this started..i emailed you guys yesterday although not aware if that was the right method (or email)

Marco

Old 11-02-2016, 09:58 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Whats the update on JB4 integrated tune?

Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll pass on a benchflash, that's asking for warranty issues at a dealer IMO. I'll stick with a piggyback like the Dinan or NM module.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Bytetronik ECU Flash/Tune for the F56 B48 MINI