Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Performance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Mb460
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance questions.

03 Mini Cooper S.

Hey guys, Bought a Mini a month or so from a guy, he listed a bunch of things that had been done to it

L.S.S,

Optima Red Top Battery
Alta Performance 15% reduction supercharger pulley
Alta Performance Cold Air Intake
Alta Performance header back Exhaust
Alta Performance mini antenna
Koni Gold FSD Shocks
ATE Slotted rotors
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Way Motorworks Polished Aluminium Coolant Tank
Helix Short Shifter
Magnecore Spark plug wires
New Tint all around
New Drivers side window regulator and motor.

my questions.

A shop did all of the work listed above, and tuned it for the last owner when he bought it. He did show me a dyno sheet (though i don't have it and don't remember HP output.)

so, If i swap out the pulley from a 15 to a 17%, will it need a re-tune?

What is the next step to eak a little more power out of it? I feel like beyond a 17% pulley, i'll need to look into head and cam work? maybe higher compression?

Does anyone make a larger supercharger?

If i add an aftermarket intercooler, would that decrease intake pressure and boost?

I'd like to get it to 265-300 hp flywheel...

Is that even possible for that engine?

Does anyone TURBO these supercharged engines with small turbos to help boost low end TQ ?????

maybe weight reduction would be a cheaper and easier alternative... lol

Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
It will depend on how the shop "tuned" it as some shops define that as reseting the adaptation values which is nothing really, and some do a full custom dyno tune like we do. So you need to find out, or do your own dyno testing to find out where the air fuel ratio is.

Often you can just upgrade to the 17% pulley which will mainly gain you more low end.

Then you can add on of our cams.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mil...t-r52-r53.html

After that the mods get more expensive for smaller gains. So you will really need to crunch your budget as the numbers you say you want will be thousands of dollars.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
the "tune" is interesting, could be real or fake, hard telling. unless theres larger injectors in the car. then it should be tuned. 330cc and 380cc are fine, since the stock ECU can manage those. but the 440cc and the 550cc cannot be controlled by an untuned ECU.

Typically a pulley, intake and exhaust doesn't need a tune, unless they are willing to spend the $$$. as from going to 17 from a 15, honestly I don't think its worth the time to change that out. realistically your only going to get 1-2 psi more.

you don't wanna increase the compression without some other supporting mods, the heat from the supercharger wont be ideal with increasing compression. Changing the intercooler will give you more of a pressure drop (unless you fork the money out for the GP) which wont help much except for track time.

for getting moar power you have some options still and what your asking for isn't terribly hard to get to, it does require some $$$. Getting a Big valve head from any number of vendors with a cam, and injectors (tuned of coarse) will get you easily 250 WHP.

there have been numerous turbo r53s, there are no real kits, most are fabbed up by a tuner shop, most of the time they are also ran by a standalone ECU, although im not sure why a turbo swap with an ideal turbo wouldn't work with the stock ECU.

turbo r53 would be a lot of fun, youll have a hard time putting down power tho