Drivetrain RaceChip Ultimate install + review for b46

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinb940
Lol yeah that is pretty bad.

I placed my order this morning so we shall see how long it takes to arrive.

How do you like the race chip papawhiskey?
Would love to hear his first impression driving after install.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol yeah that is pretty bad.

I placed my order this morning so we shall see how long it takes to arrive.

How do you like the race chip papawhiskey?
Don't have it installed yet. My question to RCUSA was about the third connection (boost) and where it was located on the car. I still don't have an answer from them although F55MBCS got me the answer I was after. Hope to get it in this weekend.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Don't have it installed yet. My question to RCUSA was about the third connection (boost) and where it was located on the car. I still don't have an answer from them although F55MBCS got me the answer I was after. Hope to get it in this weekend.
it takes 5 minutes to install.

pick up some velcro to mount the race chip.

mount race chip on top of battery and run harness into the battery
box by trimming a bit of the firewall part of battery box plastic trim.

Last edited by F55MidnightBlackCooperS; 10-07-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you take any pictures of your install F55Midnight?

My RaceChip has just shipped today so getting placement ideas is great.

Also you you mean literally on top of the battery or do you mean on top of that battery cover (where the felt lining is and the 1 Red Terminal cover)?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Did you take any pictures of your install F55Midnight?

My RaceChip has just shipped today so getting placement ideas is great.

Also you you mean literally on top of the battery or do you mean on top of that battery cover (where the felt lining is and the 1 Red Terminal cover)?
on top of the battery or side of battery. look at nm engineerings website for a install pic. mine is still zip tied in place, waiting for jcw tune before mounting in battery box.

racechip will email a pdf for connections. run the small connections under the air tube near battery box. do not hook up harness then try to fit big end under air tube.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
yeah i have see that picture.

I actully have installed the NM module and am trying out the race chip as well.

For the NM Install the felt lining didnt seem like it would hold the module that great due to the felt fibers pulling off easily.

I may try it again when the Race Chip comes in and maybe try different velcro.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
yeah i have see that picture.

I actully have installed the NM module and am trying out the race chip as well.

For the NM Install the felt lining didnt seem like it would hold the module that great due to the felt fibers pulling off easily.

I may try it again when the Race Chip comes in and maybe try different velcro.
Looking forward to your impressions on race chip vs nm. I had no other choice except the euroboxes because my car is a b46.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:02 AM
caiken
2nd Gear
Very interested to see some pics and impressions of this on the JCW

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Yep ill try to give some impressions once I do the install. Hopefully the part will be here tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 AM
DiGiPiMP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
Looking forward to your impressions on race chip vs nm. I had no other choice except the euroboxes because my car is a b46.
for B46 engine you need a different tune chip vs b48? can't use NM or Burger tune?

Old 10-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
This weekend I was able to install the Race Chip on my 2016 JCW Hardtop but i have not been able to drive it much without traffic as I let my GF take the car this weekend to a comedy show.

So I am still getting my impressions in order of the race chip and how it compares in the performance felt to the NM Module.

Give me a day or two and ill report back on that aspect.

What i am able to tell you today is the difference between the installation of both the race chip compared to the NM Module.

NM-Engineering Module

Install Difficulty: Easy Install

Install Time: 15 Mins

Zip Ties: 4 used (none provided)

Cables: 1 |Boost Sensor|

Wire Harness Length: Perfect & sized just right for the application

Installation Instructions: Very Through step by step pictures included

Impressions: This install was a piece of cake and NM did a GREAT JOB in providing VERY THROUGH pictures for installation. I could have easily done this install in 5 mins if i didn't care about keeping the cables tidy.

Install Instructions (can be downloaded from NM-Eng Website)

Pictures:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RaceChip

Install Difficulty: Moderate Install

Install Time: 1Hr (if you want a tidy install with neat cables)

Zip Ties: 15 used (a couple are provided with RaceChip)

Cables: 3 Total. |Boost Sensor| MAP Sensor| Airflow Sensor|

Wire Harness Length: Way too long & Generic Harness with vehicle specific plugs used. This will cause the installation time to be increased due to excessive cable length.

Installation Instructions: Somewhat Generic. Race Chip emails you with a picture of your engine with the 3 sensors pointed out. Then included in the box is a step by step booklet this is generic for all engines and you are to figure out how it relates to your engine. They also provide a generic video of the install that applies to all engines.

Impressions: This install was wasn't hard per say (you only have to plug in cables) but it was defiantly TIME CONSUMING if you want to have your cables neat (which i do). The core problem in my opinion comes from the extra long generic wire harness they send with the installation.

This means you have extra cable length that you have to hide "somewhere". The Plugs themselves also didn't feel like the same quality that NM used and they were arranged in a "Y" for the male and female connectors.

Install Instructions (Race Chip will email you these on request or with your order)

Pictures

Last edited by Kevinb940; 10-12-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm definitely interested in your feedback Kevin! Fantastic install write-up!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Great job, Kevin!

F55, have you been able to compare your RaceChip Ultimate to the BMS Stage 1 or JB4 yet?

Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MidnightF56
Great job, Kevin!

F55, have you been able to compare your RaceChip Ultimate to the BMS Stage 1 or JB4 yet?
Not yet. doing the jcw pro tune/exhaust and jcw brakes at first service.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Not yet. doing the jcw pro tune/exhaust and jcw brakes at first service.
I'd be interested in your thoughts (as well as Kevin's) because I'm undecided between the two for my Cooper. Keep us updated!

Old 10-14-2015, 11:40 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
I would do burger because of the updates,as far as power they all seem to claim about the same numbers. Only reason i bought race chip is because remus markets the same unit.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
I would do burger because of the updates,as far as power they all seem to claim about the same numbers. Only reason i bought race chip is because remus markets the same unit.
But the Burger JB4 isn't finalized or officially on sale yet, only the stage 1.

So if the performance, price, quality and reliability are all similar, I might go with the RaceChip since it's available.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Kevinb940;4133345]This weekend I was able to install the Race Chip on my 2016 JCW Hardtop but i have not been able to drive it much without traffic as I let my GF take the car this weekend to a comedy show.

So I am still getting my impressions in order of the race chip and how it compares in the performance felt to the NM Module.

Give me a day or two and ill report back on that aspect.

Any updates on the performance of the Race Chip? Is it worth the cost over the NM? Going to VIR this Monday with Phil Wicks driving academy and hope to see someone with the chipset on a 2015/2016 JCW so I can see the difference it gives on the track.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Hey everyone sorry for taking a bit to get my impressions posted but i wanted to try different combinations on the Race Chip and gave each one a day to test.

Please remember that the below impressions are my own and that i am only giving you what i "felt". There is no scientific proof of my impressions (since i did not get anything dynoed) so your mileage my vary.

This comparison was done on a
2016 Mini JCW

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NM-Engineering Module

The NM Module has a Dyno Chart on the website for a F56 Cooper S.

Dyno Chart: http://www.nm-eng.com/media/attachme...i_F56_Dyno.pdf

HP: +44 (at the wheels | Dyno proven)
TQ: +34 (at the wheels | Dyno proven)

I noticed an "immediate difference" with the NM Module on Day 1 within 5 miles of it being installed then driven. The TQ was much more noticeable and i ended up speeding a lot more on accident going faster than i thought i was.

Low speed passing was also much more pronounced.

Highway speed passing however didn't seem as big of a difference (if driving over 70 mph).

The next day i drove the car and it seemed like either i got used to the power or the car dialed it down not really sure which.

I do love the easy installation of the NM and with only 2 settings on the box its pretty set and forget.

--------------------------------------------
RaceChip

Race Chip was not willing to provide a Dyno Chart when i requested one and the HP claimed is at the crank not the wheels.

HP: +56 (at the crank | claimed)
TQ: +53 (at the crank | claimed)

As I noted before the Race Chip was a bit more involved in every way imaginable.

It was a longer install and it had a lot of settings to adjust to get the best output.

S1 = (not used for Gas/petrol engines)

S2 = (these are the settings to be adjusted for power output)

My box came set at S2 = 5.

I also tried S2 = 4 and S2 = 6.

I was told not to use S2 = 7 by racechip (the biggest number) so i did not.

Since i was driving with the NM Module before the Race Chip the power of the Race Chip didn't give me the same "holy crap" smile the NM module did but that is because i was used to the NM module's Power already and was not coming from a stock configuration.

Coming from a stock configuration i can only assume i would have had the same feeling of "holy crap".

S1=6 made the most noticeable power difference for my car but this will depend on the car and the conditions. one thing i did seem to notice more was the slight delay between flooring it and the car responding. I don't think this has anything to do with Race Chip but more to do with the micro delay built into the mini and the gas pedal.

Low speed passing power seemed just as pronounced as before.

Also like before Highway passing (at over 70mph) didn't seem to see as big of a difference.

This is where a adjustable throttle response controller (remus responder, race chip response control, ect) for gas pedal sensitivity may make the most sense to get that surge of power quicker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Million Dollar Question***

So the Million Dollar question probably everyone wants to know.

Which one felt faster the NM Module or the Race Chip?

Well in my opinion the RaceChip was a little bit faster than the NM Module but we are talking about by a small amount.

I do not feel that it is fast enough that it is a better buy than the NM Module.

So what i am saying is the NM Module is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you want the best power to cost ratio i'd go with | NM-Engineering

OR

If you want ultimate adjust-ability with a small bit more power go with | Race Chip.

----------------
****Other Thoughts****

There are a few more pros and cons i want to make everyone aware of.

1. The Race Chip ships with a dummy plug that can be used in place of the actual controller unit. This should make it to where your car can be returned back to stock without having to remove the wiring harness & connections.

This is something big in my perspective as it means if i need to go in for scheduled maintenance I can make the car "stock" from the dealers perspective without having to uninstall everything.

Also remember the Race Chip took me over 1hr to install.

2. The NM-Engineering Module is SUPER SIMPLE to install so even if i had to go to the dealer for something it would probably take me 3 mins to remove it (including cutting my zip ties i used).

3. The Race Chip has at least 6 levels of adjust ability (though i was told to only use 3 of those and never to use the last number which is 7).

The NM Module only has 2 levels of adjust ability however it makes picking a setting a much more simple affair

4. I have spoken to Tech Support for both Companies. In this there is no contest NM-Engineering has the best tech support HANDS DOWN.

It doesn't matter what i call to ask about Jerry at NM-Engineering really knows his stuff and is willing to help anyone in the mini community. This in my mind is worth A LOT and tells you a lot about a company.

5. Race Chip will allow returns with a $100 restocking fee. Depending on where you buy the NM unit it might be able to be returned for free or for a restocking fee.

I dont plan on returning either as i think that i have used them both enough that I should pay for them (i try to be fair to vendors when i return things i only return if something didn't work or claims made were blatant lies. In this case i feel both companies products did what they claim to do).

So if i were to do it again knowing what i know now which one would i pick for my money..................................

NM-Engineering

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Kevinb940; 10-16-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:55 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the write up!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:48 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
I agree 100% on the bang for buck nm is they way to go. I would have gone that direction
if the b46 was supported at time of purchase.

On the racechip Cooper S b46 switch 1 setting 1 is preset from racechip with settings 1 thru 7 for power adjustment with 8 not recommended .switch 2 is non active on Cooper S box, was told it is for tuning diesels.

In mid and sport modes I do not experience a delay in throttle response but in green there is a slight delay.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:14 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

So if i were to do it again knowing what i know now which one would i pick for my money..................................

NM-Engineering

Hope this helps.
Good to hear. That's pretty much what I surmised after doing my research. I have a new NM Power Module waiting to be installed as soon as I get my car back from the body shop.

Thanks for the writeup.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Kevinb940
1st Gear
Yeah i dont think my delay is the race chip because i noticed it on the nm module and on stock. When i mash the pedal to the floor there is about a half second delay then the surge of power. I assumed it was just how the minis throttle response is programmed from the factory. For me its better in sport mode (like you said green mode is the most noticeable) but i can still tell its there.

I am thinking about the remus responder to attempt and adjust the delay so that the power is instant. Looks like there were a few other boxes used on the other generation minis for the same thing but from different companies.

Huh that is odd about the switch positions. I thought maybe i wrote them down wrong but i just double checked the setting sheet that came with mine and it definitely has s2 = 5 | s1 = 1.

I wonder why they changed how the switch works for our cars a cooper S is not that different from a JCW. mmm odd

F55Midnight did racechip ever tell you not to use setting 7 like they told me?

Lol now i wanna try s2 = 7 but race chip Germany said i should not.

Im beginning to wonder if i wouldn't get different answers from different race chip employees maybe like the same thing i observed before on the us race chip USA vs the Germany race chip.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:28 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thank you very much Kevin for the honest insight and taking the time to write it all down!

Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
kevin if racechip shipped with sw2 at 5 as setting that is correct but you should be adjusting power level with sw1 with settings 1-7 available for adjustments.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RaceChip Ultimate install + review for b46