Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I'm at it again and I need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm at it again and I need help

So I've grown bored with my manic stage 2 clubman. I'm ready for some more mods and some more power but I'm scared to go too much further. I'm putting a JMTC stage 3 clutch kit in within the next month and the milltek cat back from WMW after that I'm not sure what else to do. I want a stage 3 car but I also don't want to blow up my bottom end. I've spoken to way and he said to get cams but I still don't think that'll be enough for me. If I drop in Carrillo Pistons and rods will I be able to safely run a stage 3 tune with a big turbo?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
A lot of people run the stock bottom end with Stage 3. Including myself and others on NAM. These N18 motors are pretty strong. Do you have N14 or N18? Big power can be made with N14, Stage 3 tune with cams. A lot of us are also on the stock clutch. My clutch has not slipped one time. Pretty surprising for 100+hp 100+tq over stock.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:59 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
I'm running an N14. The stage 3 clutch from JMTC is cheaper than a factory clutch kit with flywheel so I'd rather just get the HD clutch. Are you running meth injection too? I'm really trying to avoid doing a meth kit if I can. Are schrick cams the best available also should I do a valve job while I'm in there? Thanks for the help you were a huge asset to me when I was going stage 2.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiveostang
So I've grown bored with my manic stage 2 clubman. I'm ready for some more mods and some more power but I'm scared to go too much further. I'm putting a JMTC stage 3 clutch kit in within the next month and the milltek cat back from WMW after that I'm not sure what else to do. I want a stage 3 car but I also don't want to blow up my bottom end. I've spoken to way and he said to get cams but I still don't think that'll be enough for me. If I drop in Carrillo Pistons and rods will I be able to safely run a stage 3 tune with a big turbo?
I ran 280WHP for about 3 years on stock bottom end. Only went to CP Carrillo when I went over 300 WHP & torque. You should be safe with a stage 3 and stock bottom end.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I do run meth. Hope E85 comes one day.
I heard cat cams are the best.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I ran 280WHP for about 3 years on stock bottom end. Only went to CP Carrillo when I went over 300 WHP & torque. You should be safe with a stage 3 and stock bottom end.
N14 or N18?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
n14 or n18?
N14

Fiveostang --- I highly recommend you do at least a valve job if you do cams. I'm confident my "higher than most" numbers are from Thumper's ported head. Allowing the engine to breathe better, by porting, is one of the best (but expensive) mods that can be done.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
N14

Fiveostang --- I highly recommend you do at least a valve job if you do cams. I'm confident my "higher than most" numbers are from Thumper's ported head. Allowing the engine to breathe better, by porting, is one of the best (but expensive) mods that can be done.
It looks like thumper only does the 1st gen cars with the supercharger I sent an email to see if they can do anything. I'm gonna have to risk running without the internals because I don't have $16,000 to throw into this build. I'm hoping to stay in the $5-7k range so I need to way out the bang for the buck items. The claims thumper makes on these port and polished heads is incredible. I may not even need to go stage three if those numbers are true.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm at it again and I need help

You should be able to have someone do forged rods and pistons for under $5k.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fiveostang
It looks like thumper only does the 1st gen cars with the supercharger I sent an email to see if they can do anything. I'm gonna have to risk running without the internals because I don't have $16,000 to throw into this build. I'm hoping to stay in the $5-7k range so I need to way out the bang for the buck items. The claims thumper makes on these port and polished heads is incredible. I may not even need to go stage three if those numbers are true.
When I installed Thumper's head, I had about 40K on the engine. Then I added a Garrett, 3" catless exhaust, FMIC, K & N air, and all new air hoses. Took it in for an AP dyno tune and here's the chart --- the only Mini posted at their Surgeline facility --- http://www.accessecu.com/dyno/ The chart showing 280 wasn't posted, but it also went to 20PSI boost. I have more recent charts to support my 300+ claim.

I mention this so you realize 280WHP can be achieved without lots of bolt-ons. I drove it for about 3 years, gradually adding the other mods --- no lower engine grief! Pretty much finished with serious mods, just enjoying the results.

As for Thumper, I never met him or visited his facility, just email. There are others out there who can port / relieve the R56 head, but I'm pretty sure he makes a living specializing in head work, altho I haven't checked his web site in a long time. I consider him an artist, compared to those with a CNC, and recommend him highly.

If you go this route, consider having Thumper match both manifolds to the head. Well worth the extra bucks.