Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NICE: $230 Ebay Exhaust install with VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
NICE: $230 Ebay Exhaust install with VIDEO

So I decided to take the plunge and get an eBay exhaust. Cost was $232 from Racing_guys, quite the deal. Took me 2 hours to install it on my friend’s lift at his shop. A professional would probably do the job in half the time. I had no prior experience with exhausts and it was quite a workout holding the exhaust up and bolting it on (I have a desk job and don't work out).

Here’s the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161689803255

Name:  4Zx9Zx4.png
Views: 57
Size:  177.4 KB

I had to make just one modification to it. The hangars on the mid pipe were too long so I cut about 1 inch off of each side.

Overall I like the sound. It is a bit louder than I expected it to be, but for $232 I ain’t complaining lol.

If you’re going to get an eBay exhaust, make sure you get the one that has flanges for the connecting pipes, not couplers. I’m happy with the choice I’ve made, time will tell how long it will last

Here’s a short vid after I dropped it off the lift:

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust - YouTube
"> Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Last edited by bosnik; 06-19-2015 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
any drive by vids or something to hear it while driving? 2 of my brackets on my stock exhaust broke and its banging against my heat-shield so i need a quick solution, and considering this exhaust

Old 06-20-2015, 09:05 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alkaidovich
any drive by vids or something to hear it while driving? 2 of my brackets on my stock exhaust broke and its banging against my heat-shield so i need a quick solution, and considering this exhaust
Will get a drive by video tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bosnik
Will get a drive by video tomorrow.
awesome, i would appreciate that!
if it sounds just as good as idle and revs, ill probably pull the trigger tomorrow or monday on this... Can't beat the price either way.

How was install on it? Any fitment issues?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
How was install on it? Any fitment issues?
Yes as I mentioned in my original post, the hangars on the mid pipe were too long and I couldn't fit the pipe inside the cutout. So I cut about 1 inch off of each side of the hangars.

It's a bit loud/rattly inside the cabin, but its probably because one of the mufflers is hitting something back there. I had the same problem with the stock exhaust but you couldn't hear it much since there was no exhaust noise. My car was rear ended a couple of years back. I think I'm going to have to lower one of the muffler hangars.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Yes as I mentioned in my original post, the hangars on the mid pipe were too long and I couldn't fit the pipe inside the cutout. So I cut about 1 inch off of each side of the hangars.

It's a bit loud/rattly inside the cabin, but its probably because one of the mufflers is hitting something back there. I had the same problem with the stock exhaust but you couldn't hear it much since there was no exhaust noise. My car was rear ended a couple of years back. I think I'm going to have to lower one of the muffler hangars.
Ok, I might just have a muffler shop install it since I don't have a lift... Last time i tried exhaust just on Jacks was a pain in the a**

How loud would you say it is compared to others? Is it tolerable for daily driving? Does it sound good while driving? I guess ill wait till tomorrow when you get a drive by lol just don't wanna waste $250 if i could save some more and get a proper one... just need a quick fix for my current broken one

Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone can weld pipe to coffee cans but with out the reputation, testing and R&D behind the product you don't know what you're getting.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:42 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Better off with a Ireland engineering if your budget conscious. The eBay systems just won't last, I've seen them fail one after another even.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Better off with a Ireland engineering if your budget conscious. The eBay systems just won't last, I've seen them fail one after another even.
I understand where you're coming from. I'm not too concerned about that. Even if it fails I can buy 2 more exhausts until I reach the price of a brand name one

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
How loud would you say it is compared to others? Is it tolerable for daily driving? Does it sound good while driving? I guess ill wait till tomorrow when you get a drive by lol just don't wanna waste $250 if i could save some more and get a proper one... just need a quick fix for my current broken one
Here's in cabin video

DISCLAIMER: To my ears, inside the cabin, it sounds 1/2 louder than in the video. If the video sound would be 1, to my ears it sounds like 1.5

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Cruising Sound - YouTube
"> Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Cruising Sound - YouTube

Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Not worried about budget, as I mentioned earlier, a couple of my brackets on my stock exhaust broke, thus making my exhaust constantly bang against the heat shield and the road where it now has a bend and crack causing a leak. Rather than pay a shop $150-$200 to fix a stock exhaust thats beat up, just get a cheap replacement until I get the exhaust I want.

Side note, saying it won't last?... I had an ebay exhaust on my m3 for years and years and it was in great condition even after I parted and sold the car. Could be different with these cars, I don't know first hand yet. Its only a couple hundred bucks

Old 06-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Bosnik, that sounds great... doesn't seem too loud or drone much, if at all.
Any chance for some drive-by or to see how it sounds under acceleration from the outside?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:02 AM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Bosnik, that sounds great... doesn't seem too loud or drone much, if at all.
Any chance for some drive-by or to see how it sounds under acceleration from the outside?
Will get you one uploaded today

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Not worried about budget, as I mentioned earlier, a couple of my brackets on my stock exhaust broke, thus making my exhaust constantly bang against the heat shield and the road where it now has a bend and crack causing a leak. Rather than pay a shop $150-$200 to fix a stock exhaust thats beat up, just get a cheap replacement until I get the exhaust I want. Side note, saying it won't last?... I had an ebay exhaust on my m3 for years and years and it was in great condition even after I parted and sold the car. Could be different with these cars, I don't know first hand yet. Its only a couple hundred bucks
Considering this system doesn't have a resonator, you have one less thing likely to fail. It's the muffler internals and welds that fail.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Considering this system doesn't have a resonator, you have one less thing likely to fail. It's the muffler internals and welds that fail.
Ive run numerous "ebay" exhausts on previous cars and name brand systems, never had an issue with either.

Not to take anything away from name brand systems, but I'll just agree to disagree

Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Awesome, looking forward to it!
Driveby vid:

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Drive by - YouTube
"> Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Drive by - YouTube

Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Driveby vid:

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Drive by - YouTube">Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Drive by - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Sounds just as I was hoping from the first vid after install... Time to order one up, thanks Bosnik!

High revs does it have a lot of rasp? (I know its a 4Banger so thats expected) but I don't want it sounding ricey since it is non-res

Old 06-21-2015, 02:56 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Sounds just as I was hoping from the first vid after install... Time to order one up, thanks Bosnik!

High revs does it have a lot of rasp? (I know its a 4Banger so thats expected) but I don't want it sounding ricey since it is non-res
NO rasp whatsoever throughout low and high RPMs

Here's another sound clip after a few days since install:

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Sound 2 - YouTube
"> Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Sound 2 - YouTube

Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
NO rasp whatsoever throughout low and high RPMs

Here's another sound clip after a few days since install:

Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Sound 2 - YouTube">Mini Cooper S R53 Ebay Exhaust Sound 2 - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
This is perfect, reminds me a lot of what my e46m sounded like with my AgencyPower exhaust... Low and deep with a slight high pitch towards higher RPM's

Just ordered it, should be here by the end of the week along with a New Intake! Thanks again Bosnik... this helped

Old 06-21-2015, 03:07 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Just ordered it, should be here by the end of the week along with a New Intake! Thanks again Bosnik... this helped
No prob man. Just make sure u tighten those flange bolts really good. Today I had to replace 2 bolts from the cat flange cuz I lost the original ones on the road lol

Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Good to know haha, I'll probably have a shop do it and so Im sure they'll tighten it down... but Ill be sure to tell them just in case!

Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Be sure to post some sound clips on this thread and let me know how you like the exhaust next week.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered an Ebay exhaust myself. Although Mine is slightly different...it has a resonator. The previous owner of my car decided to cut the two mufflers off and run straight pipe. Its the loudest thing every. Drones like crazy at 3K rpm and has almost no low end power. Mine arrives on Friday. Here's the one I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-MINI-COOPER-S-DUAL-FULL-S-S-STAINLESS-CATBACK-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-SYSTEM/331355973074?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D31478%26meid%3Dcf8e9c8758c14934a49933d3d3b5dbfc%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D331355973074

Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM
bosnik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CGaboury
I just ordered an Ebay exhaust myself. Although Mine is slightly different...it has a resonator. The previous owner of my car decided to cut the two mufflers off and run straight pipe. Its the loudest thing every. Drones like crazy at 3K rpm and has almost no low end power. Mine arrives on Friday. Here's the one I ordered:
Niceee. $5 cheaper than mine

I chose the exhaust with the flanges, not the couplers, because you have 2 bolts for each flange when connecting pipes, a bit safer than the 1 bolt on the couplers.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain NICE: $230 Ebay Exhaust install with VIDEO