Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Helix Intercooler Datalogging Results

Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Helix Intercooler Datalogging Results

As many of you know, we at Helix have been working on our latest revision of our Stepped Core Intercooler for a loooong time. Well, finally, we are ready to release it. We've been installing prototypes on select cars, and yesterday we put it, and other coolers, through a battery of tests. The tests included dyno evaluation on our MD-250 chassis dyno, and street datalogs. Here's what we did:

The test car was a 2013 GP2 with stock DME tuning. The only modification on the car was a high-flow air filter. All of the tests were done same-day, same-car, same dyno calibrations. The one exception was that over the period of the day, the ambient temperature rose more than 12 degrees, which make some of the scaling in our street testing variable. The dynamometer has a weather station which automatically adjusts the weather correction factor in real time. The weather correction factor changed the output numbers less than 1/10th of a percent, because although it got hotter, the humidity dropped about 20% during the day. This worked toward cancelling a big correction factor change over the test period.

We did both street and Dyno logs, because each can show a different aspect of the performance of an intercooler. Like any dyno cell without a wind tunnel, it's very hard to create the air volume and speed needed to truly replicate road conditions. Road logging will give you great information on intake temperature and boost pressure vs. RPM but won't give you torque and power readings.

Because we were running both street and dyno tests for three different intercoolers, we decided to remove the front bumper cover for all tests, making it easier to swap coolers. All of the data runs, both dyno and street, were done in the same fasion. The street runs were done in the same gear (3rd) on the same closed not-publicly-used course, and consisted of multiple runs from 2500 to red line. The Dyno runs were also done multiple times for engine temperature stability and consistency of results.

We started in the morning testing the stock cooler, we then tested another brand of aftermarket cooler, and finally we tested the Helix cooler. I'm really going to focus most on Helix vs. Stock. Here's a typical data set from the street logs of the Helix vs. stock. In this graph, we've logged Intake Air Temperature after the intercooler, Boost Pressure after the intercooler vs. engine RPM. Notice that the ambient temperature was some 12 degrees higher in the Helix test runs than it was in the stock runs. This makes for a slightly messy graph, but the important data is temperature rise during the run.

The bottom two plots are the IATs: the dark blue is the stock cooler, the purple is the Helix cooler. Notice the temperature rise in the stock vs. the Helix intercooler. The top two plots are boost pressure, Helix red, stock green. Notice that the boost pressure is lower with the Helix intercooler. That's because the boost mapping on these cars is done through torque targets. The DME calculates torque via speed change over time, and limits boost once the car has achieved maximum allowable torque. With the Helix intercooler the car is making more power with less boost (as you'll see on the dyno plots). This means there's less demand on the turbo. Custom tunes on these cars manipulate torque targets, among other things, meaning that a Helix intercooler will allow for greater boost before the targets are met. This means more power and torque.

On the dyno the deltas were narrower, partially because of our limited ability to supply wind-tunnel-like air volume and speed, and partially because of the way the cars are tuned as stated above. Narrower but significant. We would typically do several 'warm up' runs to stabilize engine coolant and oil temperature, and then do a series of test runs concurrently. We allowed at least 60 seconds between runs so the evacuation fans could remove inert gasses from our dyno cell. Here's a cluster of runs done on the stock intercooler:

This shows three runs on the same graph. The red line is engine power, the dark blue line is engine torque, and the light blue line is fuel/air mixture. On all test, we calculate a 12% drivetrain loss. The average peak power was 222.6.

Here's the same test with the Helix intercooler:

The torque and power numbers were stable and consistent, with the average peak power at 228.6. Again, if we had a half million dollars in fans, I think the result deltas would be greater.

I'm not going to dwell a lot on other coolers on the market, but we did have another popular brand of cooler in stock and ran it through the same tests. Here's a dyno plot of that cooler:

The average peak power was 224.

I have to admit that we were all a little nervous before the tests: all of the work, from Solidworks designs, to CFD flow testing, to 3d printed models, to failed prototypes, everything was on the line. We've got a ton invested in these things and thankfully they did not disappoint.

We have begun production and will start a special offer thread next week when we get a clearer idea of when the first production run will be finished.

Last edited by Helix13mini; 06-02-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, great details! I'm looking forward to the special offer thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Will it fit a jcw 2 aerokit bumper without trimming?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 67morris
Will it fit a jcw 2 aerokit bumper without trimming?
Yes.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-29-2015, 02:07 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Thanks for publishing your data - I wish more manufacturers did this!

How about pressure drop vs. flow?
Any modification to the lower crash bar required?

And more pics - let's see the whole unit! Although I already have "brand W" installed, this looks like a winner.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Thanks for publishing your data - I wish more manufacturers did this!

How about pressure drop vs. flow?
Any modification to the lower crash bar required?

And more pics - let's see the whole unit! Although I already have "brand W" installed, this looks like a winner.
We're still tweeking our datalogging tool (see our FB page) to allow for pressure drop measurement from intake tank to outlet tank of the intercooler. Remember that pressure drop has several causes, not the least of which is temperature drop. A very efficient cooler with proven flow efficiency through the tanks and core may show a similar pressure drop to a cooler that has terribly inefficient end tanks and restrictive core. It will, however, perform much better because the intake charge is so much cooler and thus denser. In our CFD modelling, we learned that very small end tank shape changes made a huge difference in flow. We tested dozens of revisions to the shape.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
That is some nice data there Eric, props for keeping the bar raised high. Congrats on the results!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Neb08
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub'd so I don't miss the update thread for pre order. Any idea on price?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Photos have arrived.

So many round headlights.

Up in the air she goes!

Gotta give the Porsche some love, too.

Data collection.

Let’s compare. Helix on the left, stock on the right… and something else in the middle.

Fin density and core innards of ‘Brand X’

And the Helix Intercooler.

And just for giggles, here’s what a stock intercooler looks like inside.

It wouldn’t be a visit to Helix without a cheesesteak.

Stock intercooler in place.

Helix, installed.

Impressions? The numbers certainly don't lie, but my finely-tuned butt dyno doesn't either. Usually, at least. It was a pretty steamy day in the Philadelphia area on Thursday - and I ran the car hard on the way home from the shop. Pull after pull, the car felt as strong as it did on the first as it did the last - no apparent signs of heatsoak could be felt, and the car definitely felt stronger in the upper RPM range.

The real test will be tomorrow - I'll be autocrossing at the Wells Fargo Center with the Philadelphia Region SCCA. Forecast says 90°F and sunny. And 54% humidity.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
This is great, are you going to update the original group buy post when this goes on sale or start a new thread? Thanks!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:03 PM
SlingsDogs
1st Gear
Been waiting for this since I was up there to have the walnut shell blasting done. Summer is getting here fast, want one of these ASAP! Any idea of timing? Days? Weeks? Months?

Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
How you "stamped" your name into the housing is freakin' sexy. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
Damn, I just put one of those "brand X" jobs on mine...

Old 06-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Neb08
2nd Gear
hopefully this launches soon as Id like to have it for the rest of the track season...

Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
make ones for 1st gen... those fins are sexy

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
That is a beautiful piece of work sir. Bravo!!!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
newmail445
Neutral
From the looks of it "Brand X" is a Forge FMIC. I was gonna intstall one. About $220 shipped from China.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:56 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
Passing through on JUNE 24th or 25th

Im heading to Atlanta and leaving Ct on the 24th or 25th. Any chance of having this Installed?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Sorry, I had to shoot out of town for a couple of days and didn't get here.

Originally Posted by yesti
This is great, are you going to update the original group buy post when this goes on sale or start a new thread? Thanks!
We'll probably create a new group buy/intro offer thread for clarity. I hope to have a clearer idea of timing tomorrow. When I do, I'll start the thread.

Originally Posted by SlingsDogs
Been waiting for this since I was up there to have the walnut shell blasting done. Summer is getting here fast, want one of these ASAP! Any idea of timing? Days? Weeks? Months?
I hope to know more tomorrow...

Originally Posted by todoubled
Im heading to Atlanta and leaving Ct on the 24th or 25th. Any chance of having this Installed?
We'll know more tomorrow, but call us before you leave to see if we at least have a pre-production prototype left.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM
dangsdunks
1st Gear
Hopefully the wait isn't too long, looking to get my Manic Stage 2 Tune soon.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Sassenach
2nd Gear
Very interested in this to help with the New Mexico summer heat. BTW love the shots of the vehicles in your shop, lunch looked tasty too.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix Intercooler Datalogging Results

When will these be available?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
So, how about some impressions from my autocross outing last weekend at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia?

Unfortunately I don't have photos - but the events at the Wells Fargo Center are known for their high heat, humidity, but smooth flawless surfaces. The surface is a dream to run on, but turbocharged cars do suffer a bit due to high surface temperatures.

And this is where the Helix intercooler played a big part - power levels stayed consistent through the run, and even when I had 2 back to back runs, I didn't notice any significant heatsoak. My tires, on the other hand, were not very happy with the higher sustained power levels and lack of cool-off time - my very last had me suffering from a bit of wheelspin which cost me a couple tenths.

In the end, I secured second in class (DSP) against my friend in his slightly better prepped Mazdaspeed3. I ended up losing by .071 seconds. In raw time, I was 26th out of 140. Not bad at all!

Now I just need some fresher rubber...

Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
newmail445
Neutral

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Helix Intercooler Datalogging Results